Thread: Krishna and Shiva: Life Styles.

Krishna and Shiva: Life Styles.

It seems to me that followers of Lord Shiva seem to have more of an affinity to meditation and even asceticism, where as followers of Sri Krishna or Sri Rama seem to be more inclined to follow a life of bhakti and service.

I am aware of guru's such as Neem Karoli Baba who was a Ram devotee who taught service as a means of liberation. (Also bhakti being a main topic of the Gita)

Though, I'm also aware of other Guru's who were more meditation based and more so promoted japa and meditation.

Does this have to do with their "sects"? Or are different people just more apt to different methods--different strokes for different folks.

Also, how do I find which method is right for me?
    Last edited by WTyler; 04 July 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Re: Krishna and Shiva: Life Styles.

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
    It seems to me that followers of Lord Shiva seem to have more of an aversion to meditation and even asceticism, where as followers of Sri Krishna or Sri Rama seem to be more inclined to follow a life of bhakti and service.

I am aware of guru's such as Neem Karoli Baba who was a Ram devotee who taught service as a means of liberation. (Also bhakti being a main topic of the Gita)

Though, I'm also aware of other Guru's who were more meditation based and more so promoted japa and meditation.

Does this have to do with their "sects"? Or are different people just more apt to different methods--different strokes for different folks.

Also, how do I find which method is right for me?
    Vannakkam Wtyler: Are you sure you understand the term 'aversion' as it means a strong dislike. I believe you probably meant the opposite. Not sure, though.

As far as seeking out a particular path, usually intuition will guide you to that. Try a few things, and see which you are REALLY drawn to. Maybe its like tasting food.

Aum Namasivaya

Agree with EM, think you wrote incorrectly.

Lord Mahadev is the source of all mantras of sanatan dharma. He is the originator of Yog.how can there be an aversion to it for his devotees?

As far as finding your path is concerned, it will come to you.it will choose you even if you try to run away from it like it did for me. so keep experimenting and you will find your calling eventually

I guess he expressed himself badly. He probably meant inclination and not aversion.

Hello brothers,

I simply meant affinity, rather than aversion. You were correct, I misspoke.

Though, thank you for your replies. I edited the post

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
    Hello brothers,

I simply meant affinity, rather than aversion. You were correct, I misspoke.

Though, thank you for your replies. I edited the post
    Vannakkam again: Hindus are all different people, and I think all types can be found within all sects. I've seen zealous bhaktars within Saivism, Vaishnavism, Saktism, etc. I've seen scholars in all sects, non-bhakti inclined scholars, and non-scholarly bhaktars. There are people who do no Seva, others who do a ton of it. There is no one correct way ... your way will be the correct way ... for you. From my observation, it is as much what God attracts you as to what method works for you in deciding on sect. Most (but certainly not all) born Hindus just follow along in their parent's version of Hinduism. For converts and adoptives, it is indeed somewhat trickier as our own gut has to be the guide. Not necessarily a very good substitute for a loving parent.

For choosing what works for you, there is no hurry. This concept of 'hurry' is an Abrahamic one, and when 'hurry' is put onto the path of SD, the danger is what's called Guru-hopping or sect-hopping, in colloquial terms. So you get people 'being' a follower of some thing or another, until they encounter something they don't like about that, and then they move on to a slightly different version ... until they find something they don't like about that. And on it goes, forever in the river of discontent.

For me personally, it's not a choice at all, its just a discovery.

Best wishes with it all.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Please note yoga and bhakti are not mutually exclusive events (an either or selection). If we look to the bhāgavad gītā, kṛṣṇa-ji speaks of both. Firm establishment in the Self ( yoga) blossoms into the highest bhakti.

Look to patañjali’s yogadarśana, chapter 2 ( on practice or sādhana pada) as he calls out the components of kriyā yoga :
    • tapas¹ - discipline ; purification as tapa = heating up
    • svādhyāya - reciting or repeating or rehearsing to one's self , meditation; and this is also study as in svādhyāyati to study , recite , read to
    • īśvara praṇidhāna - surrender to the Supreme
    praṇām
    words
    • tapas - an additional ( not opposing) view is special observances:
      • for brahmin's it is sacred learning
      • for kṣatriyas it is the protection of subjects
      • for with vaiśyas it is the giving alms to Brahmans
      • for śūdras it is the offering of service
      • for ṛṣi-s it is feeding upon herbs and roots
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thank you both very much for your thorough reply. It may not have seemed like a big deal to you, though for me, you are truly helping in my spiritual development.

Such well written and researched responses! A million thanks.
    I am taste in water, son of Kunti,
    I am light in the moon and sun.
    The sacred syllable Om of all the Vedas,
    Sound in ether, manliness in men.
    [vii.8-10]

Namaste WTyler,

I agree with Eastern Mindji that there is great variation among the style of devotees within the different sects. I have also noticed that a lot of sources, both online and in books, tend to oversimplify Hinduism and do generalize Vaishnavas as more bhakti and "worldly" oriented while Shaivas are more ascetic. Perhaps this is true on a very large scale, but one shouldn't really go by generalizations like this, especially since there is so much variance and individual preference within Sanatana Dharma. There are definitely a lot of ascetic and meditation focused Shaivas as well as bhakti and seva focused Vaishnavas, as well as the other way around. To each his own.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information