Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandelbrot, Maths and God.

Mandelbrot, Maths and God.

Namasté All

To any that are unaware of this Mathematical model. Its simplicity and elegance are truly Divine.

Fractal geometry.

It is possible to see this form due to the raw processing power of modern computers.

Interestingly Benoit Mandelbrot showed many signs of an awakening whilst having his revaluation as to the nature of this wisdom.

I wonder is it possible to see anything similar within our universe?

Modern cosmology is turning to Fractal mathematics.

The field of Genetics is turning to Fractal mathematics.

Glimpsed fleetingly as can only be done from within. The self similar nature apparent only to those who open their hearts and mind to it.

Many scientists find God in this form.

Peace

Mana

Re: Mandelbrot, Maths and God.

This one is great too

To see this in nature any one who has had the pleasure of examining large powder snow flakes can easily meditate on the truth that no two are the same, yet they are all self similar. Crystal growth is very much of this nature/Dharma depending entirely on surrounding conditions.

Graphite or Diamond.

namaste Mana
    You offer some new angles for me How to reconcile mathematics and the divine?

For me mathematics are cold where the divine is full of feeling. This isn't a criticism, after all, all is Brahman, but I wonder how you see God and Maths?

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    I wonder how you see God and Maths?
    Maybe mathematics is the tool God uses to lay down the laws the universe is governed by. I don't believe God creates haphazardly; there is order to the universe.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Maybe mathematics is the tool God uses to lay down the laws the universe is governed by. I don't believe God creates haphazardly; there is order to the universe.
    If I remember right, there is a multi-universe theory in physics which posits the simultaneous existence of parallel universes similar to ours. The thinking goes that EVERY cosmological model which can be described consistently and without mathematical contradictions exists. Ours in one such universe. Since there is a priori no reason to expect our universe to be special or privileged in any fashion, there is no reason to deny the simultaneous existence of mathematically consistent parallel universes. Possibly in such universes, the physical constants (Avagadro's number, force of gravitation, electron charge, etc.) would be different from ours.

Yes, Dr. Neil Turok posits the multiverse theory. Dr. Turok posits that each universe is a 3 dimensional 'brane (membrane) separated by a 4th dimension we have no access to. Dr. Michio Kaku holds virtually the same belief.

Mathematicians are an eccentric (in a nice way) lot. Some tidbits that may be of interest.

Srinivasa Ramanujam (the precocious Indian math genius) said that his Ishta Daivatam used to come in his dreams to provide him with proofs of various results in number theory.

"Proofs from the book" is an ode to mathematician Paul Erdos. It contains supposedly the most elegant proofs of various mathematical problems. They are referred to as most elegant because it is believed that if God Him/Her/Itself were to prove the same result, He/She/It would proceed in the exact same fashion.

G.H. Hardy, a number theorist, used to send a post card to his friend every time he boarded a ship mentioning that he had solved the Riemman Hypothesis. His thinking was that, if God existed, He/She/It wouldnt allow the ship to sink because otherwise future generations of mathematicians would wrongly believe he had solved what is considered to be one of greatest unsolved mathematical problems.

Some mathematicians believe that the smiles of all newborns are so beautiful because God has explained to them the proof of the Riemman Hypothesis. The newborns are smiling because the proof is so stunningly beautiful. The newborns supposedly forget this proof as they grow up.

Kurt Godel, an Austrian logician, had apparently found a flaw in the US Constitution that would have allowed the US to be taken over by a dictator under certain circumstances. He escaped Europe during WW2 and emigrated to the US. He was going to take his citizenship test and Einstein and Morgenstern (if I remember right) had to accompany him and distract his mind so that he wouldnt mention this to the immigration officer. Doing so would have sent him back to Europe.

Mathematics of any kind make me I even got a D in 5th grade arithmetic.

Namaste,

I find mathematics fascinating, too, even though I struggle with the basics sometimes! I think maths has a precision and power about it that makes me look on it with a kind of awe (which is why I could never admit to hating it). For me, mathematics is just one kind of manifestation of God's omniscience.

Nah, math's isn't cold, just like science isn't cold. But one could argue that rep belongs to mathematicians and scientists.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste

MAthematicians and Scientists are very dear to BhagavAn or at least they are favored by good karma of the past. How else would their boat float ? Think of all the contributions they have made to mankind, world.
    All of them cannot be called 'cold'. I look at it like this:

The Lord's "3 year old" genius is engrossed with lego pieces on the floor. The Lord watches with immense affection and admiration, charmed, smiling at His dear child figuring out His creation. He gently gives the pointers now and then, here and there. The 3 yr old is unaware that as he turned his back the Supreme Lord put more pieces within his future sight so as to give him a better clue to the puzzle.

Some children know dad/mom is watching and acknowledge, some scientists know paramAtmA is guiding, some don't.

Fractals, multiverses, macrocosm-microcosm principle, universe within universe within universe, same principle at atomic, cellular, organismic, universal and multiversal level,
    everything on auto-pilot so He can dance with the gopis on Sharad Purnima (Poonam)... err.. eternally

Shrimad BhAgvat tells us the millions of universes come out of the pores on MahAvishNu's form (KAraNodakshayi VishNu). The physicists should read the BhAgvatam if they haven't already... and acknowledge Vedic wisdom.

Srinivasa Ramanujam (the precocious Indian math genius) said that his Ishta Daivatam used to come in his dreams to provide him with proofs of various results in number theory.
    HARIBOL ! What about the scientist who discovered the benzene ring ? Did he know paramAtmA gave him the dream about the coiled snake which made him discover the benzene ring structure ?

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya, om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 19 July 2011 at 03:00 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information