Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandelbrot, Maths and God.

Re: Mandelbrot, Maths and God.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    namastñe Mana
    You offer some new angles for me How to reconcile mathematics and the divine?

For me mathematics are cold where the divine is full of feeling. This isn't a criticism, after all, all is Brahman, but I wonder how you see God and Maths?
    I am so glad that you find this interesting.

I see God in maths exactly as you can see God in any other language except that we can also call the aid of a computer for in maths for the time dimension.

Maths is a fascinating language for expressing complexed ideas. Much of which is expressible as a graphic as well as script. The writing on the page to a good mathematician will transmit an idea of a precise shape and form notion of idea, often colour is used to express an extra dimension or element before computing using scrip alone. It express the same thing as a spoken language but it is much closer to the root shape of the "word or phrase".

On the video of the Mandelbrot set it is explained that.

"Deep within you can find structure which resembles the entire set."

The equation for creating this is as simple as x²+c=x which you repeat infinity each time with a new value for x created by the previous one. Now I believe that the value of c must be between 1 an 2 and the result for each thread will either repeat for ever at a speed shown by the colour or tend to wards 0 and be black.

So to try at simplify this we have two states 0 and lets say 1 for tending towards infinity and 2 is the rate of change or speed. now 0 is infinity so lets not use that as a state so we have 3 states and an infinity. Now that to my mind is Prakti (guna) and Brahman is 0 with our selves observing the whole show as Purusha.

Now my explanation of this equation f(x)=x²+c Is a lot heaver in spoken language than in maths so I have also needed to use Sanskrit words to help my English. In my mind just seeing the set or the symbol of that set inspires the same image in my mind.

The words to my mind with no disrespect intended to any attached to words are easily replaced by the symbols with much greater efficiency.

The Sierpinski Triangle is superb as a Yogic example for reasons we can only know by seeing that. but it does not flow and swirl as the Mandelbrot or Julia set does.

To me it looks like shakti.

You must see it with your own eyes.

Aum shri ganeshaya namah.

Mana

The thing is with maths is that it is not about calculation it is about vision. Same goes for science. For some reson we teach only the calculation which well tends to leave one cold.

The problem is that few good mathematicians or scientists teach.

Lets just say that a bad teacher inspires no warmth.

This rendering of the Mandelbrot set is truly awe inspiring. I swear that I can see vritti, lightning and chakra in this one, I do however have a somewhat active imagination

Pranam

Mana

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Maybe mathematics is the tool God uses to lay down the laws the universe is governed by. I don't believe God creates haphazardly; there is order to the universe.
    God doesn't care for maths he's dancing with the gopis (Hehe thanks smaranam) maths is something we have created to see God.

It is within our nature as Humans to seek patterns and forms, our survival has and still does depended upon it.

Does that kill?

YES!

Then lets have an inbuilt memory passed on to every generation (See Neuro epigenetics) so that we know to avoid it in the future. This pattern recognition from memory's deep within the mind is not done from the word form "snake" or "spider" but with a form of pattern recognition. Our brain does the maths without our ever even knowing. We just have a fear of snakes.

Some curious minds make it there life's work to bring these "algorithms" to the surface of Citta and then to paper in word or symbolic form.

They allow us to both understand better and predict the nature of nature.

Mana

As food for thought.

If from f(x)=x²+c We get the Mandelbrot set.

What do we get from E=mc²

Now c in this famous equation is a constant the speed of light.

We all know from Einstein's relativity that time its self changes rate, rather than the speed of light changing.

For the sake of this mind experiment we shall present the axiom that it is the speed of light that changes and not the rate of flow of time.

Linear time is easier to grasp.

Then

f(m)=mc² this would give us the fluxiaton of Energy within linear time.

Otherwise said energy's vibration.

This will give us a fractal geometry also.

Just daydreaming here, please excuse my rambling.

Mana

I find maths fascinating too, but all those complicated formulae in algebra, calculus and trigonometry give me a headache! Doesn't help that we didn't exactly have great math teachers back in school, hehe. I came across fractals when reading Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park, but it was a pretty simple description of them in there. Interesting to know more about them here.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    God doesn't care for maths he's dancing with the gopis (Hehe thanks smaranam) maths is something we have created to see God.
    I see what you are saying , in terms of the involvement of the mind, and the mathematical language used. However, i would say math is built into or embedded deep into His nature, svabhAv and prakruti - so that prakruti works on mathematical laws. I know this is what you are saying too.

He puts it all on auto-pilot in the sense delegates, so He can dance with the Gopis - not for 'Himself', but to give 'them' 'His' association. OK, in a more general sense - all devotees.

praNAm

Jai Shri KrushNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Yes, embedded in Prana just as our hearts are embedded within us, they must change dynamically over time.

Not Laws so much but rather conditions, just as in mathematical language there are many predefined conditions and assumptions. One must know the "Limits" of the parameters before concluding anything at all.

We become very easily distracted by the notion of cold clockwork where everything is preordained this is not the way of modern physics or maths.

Limits is a subject within maths which is its self quite fascinating. Dealing with Infinity. Although I am quite sure that it can be found within the philosophy of the Vedas which has also delivered us that most magical of numbers "0".

I am glad that you find this interesting in this context.

There is some thing for everyone in this beautiful universe that will bring the love of God and with it true devotion to that love.

All threads lead there in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Srinivasa Ramanujam (the precocious Indian math genius) said that his Ishta Daivatam used to come in his dreams to provide him with proofs of various results in number theory.
    I do think that this is possible, yes. I should ask my Ishta Daivatam also for some help with my homework.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Mathematicians are an eccentric (in a nice way) lot. Some tidbits that may be of interest.
    That they are

There are some positively stunning beings on our planet with innate abilities that confound the primitive mind.

Daniel Tammet is a fine example with his extraordinary seeing ability.

Here is a documentary about him.

He says he "sees" numbers as shapes, that Pi which he can site to 25000 decimal places is "a beautiful landscape".

Namasté All

Here is a short article demonstration the relevance of Fractals in modern science.

Enjoy

praNAma

mana

Thread Information