Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything wrong with being Christian?

Re: Is there anything wrong with being Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Hmm...So, is it fair to say you believe in reincarnation? If not, what exactly do you mean by "eventually"?
    I have actually considered reincarnation. But when I say "eventually", I am referring to more of a spiritual cleansing in the afterlife. For example, perhaps the "real hell" is facing your own sins, but ultimately only to make yourself better. I'm not sure how to explain it at this point; I just have the seed of belief.

I will have to reflect more on this; good question.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste Adam,

Nayasurya has posted much of what I wanted to say. I'm sorry you have to be on a board that isn't as universal as you'd like. There are ugly things said about Christianity on this board, mostly due to bad personal experiences with insanely narrow-minded and bigoted Christians. As Nayasurya says, it's made a lot of the Hindus here on this board angry, weary, tired.

You're a rare kind of Christian in that you are decent, polite and respecting of other people's faiths. We don't really see alot of that these days, you have to understand. Christian universalism as you understand it probably exists, but I have seen other examples where it is actually prosetylisation in sheep's clothing. What begins as "Your God and my God are the same" eventually insidiously mutates into: "Yes, but really it is my God you are worshipping. We call Him Jehovah." You'll have to try to understand that a lot of people are going to remain highly skeptical about it.

I understand and recognise as well that you truly love God, and so really we are not that different at all. You are following your dharma as it was meant for you in this birth, and I wish you full-heartedly that you achieve the goals you seek, my friend. In this, there is nothing wrong with you're being Christian.

You will have a lot of angry responses, some justified, some not. Please be prepared for them. Perhaps you will be shaken to the core, perhaps it will galvanise your faith. I hope that whatever happens, your love for God at its most essential and purest form will weather it out and sustain you.

Om namah Shivaya
    Thank you so much for your encouragement and honesty, sunyata.
    Thank you for being a good friend.

IMHO this may be an unpopular view and I hope that I'm not banned for expressing it, but I've always wondered why we have a place for christianity (and some others as well) on a forum for Hindu Dharma. Not the people who have these beliefs mind you, just a forum within a forum.

I was raised christian and can respect your views but it does seem that they are not mainstream. Perhaps a plus if there is one. Again, forgive me for my rashness, but I'm trying to speak my honest feelings.

I am now a PROUD HINDU and have found my home within this forum. May Lord Shiva continue to bless me and ALL of the forum members.

Om Namah Sivaya!

There is something fundamentally wrong with being a Christian, but not all people who claim to be Christians are real Christians and that is a good thing.

Pranam

Absolutely nothing wrong with being in any faith, i certainly do not fear Christianity. but you have to remove your blinkers and read history, in the name off the your faith, cultures have been wiped out, not by intellectually convincing some one, that would not be so bad but by putting fear for simply not believing. they came to India for that purpose to convert us heathens, what we worship is wrong, destroyed our books or interpolated the shastra. you are still there to convert us by inducement.
    Now you tell what is wrong with my belief? why should we not be weary of this faith?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    There is something fundamentally wrong with being a Christian
    May I please ask, what is fundamentally wrong with being a Christian? What is it about being a Christian (in itself) that is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Absolutely nothing wrong with being in any faith, i certainly do not fear Christianity. but you have to remove your blinkers and read history, in the name off the your faith, cultures have been wiped out, not by intellectually convincing some one, that would not be so bad but by putting fear for simply not believing. they came to India for that purpose to convert us heathens, what we worship is wrong, destroyed our books or interpolated the shastra. you are still there to convert us by inducement.
    Now you tell what is wrong with my belief? why should we not be weary of this faith?

Jai Shree Krishna
    I understand what has happened in the name of my faith. I feel very ashamed for it, but I feel that I just need to continue trying to make the best of my faith by living according to how the one known as Jesus lived.

There is nothing wrong with your belief. I love and admire Sanatana Dharma. I enjoy learning about it.

When you say "you", as in "you are still there to convert us by inducement", isn't that generalizing?

Conversion is not my goal nor is it a value of mine. Not everyone has to share my belief in order to return to God. For myself, I just find a lot of value in following Jesus' teachings. I do not force them on anyone. In fact, I am very opposed to that.

What exactly is your definition of a christian then without generalizing that is?

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    IMHO this may be an unpopular view and I hope that I'm not banned for expressing it, but I've always wondered why we have a place for christianity (and some others as well) on a forum for Hindu Dharma. Not the people who have these beliefs mind you, just a forum within a forum.

I was raised christian and can respect your views but it does seem that they are not mainstream. Perhaps a plus if there is one. Again, forgive me for my rashness, but I'm trying to speak my honest feelings.

I am now a PROUD HINDU and have found my home within this forum. May Lord Shiva continue to bless me and ALL of the forum members.

Om Namah Sivaya!
    Namaste c.smith,

I totally understand, no offense at all. I am very happy for you that you are proud being Hindu.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    What exactly is your definition of a christian then without generalizing that is?
    To me, being a Christian means to follow Jesus Christ in character. To be kind, loving, humble, and devoted to others, as I strongly perceive Jesus was.
    To me, if you love and are devoted to the Divine, and if you love others as yourself, you are fulfilling what it means to be a Christian, because Jesus greatly emphasised and practiced the Greatest Commandment.

Thread Information