Thread: Using a rock as a Lingam?

Using a rock as a Lingam?

Namaste all,

I am wondering if it would be appropriate if I use a rock from my backyard as a Shiva Lingam? I want to buy a lingam online from the Himalayan Academy but I can't afford it right now. My family was getting a lawn irrigation system installed in our yard and the workers dug up a lot of rocks from underground as they were putting it in. They put all the rocks in a pile, and I noticed that one of them is pretty much shaped like a Lingam, although not exactly. Would it be appropriate for me to use this rock in my worship as a Lingam, or is that disrespectful and frowned upon?

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Using a rock as a Lingam?

Quote Originally Posted by namahsivaya View Post
    Namaste all,

I am wondering if it would be appropriate if I use a rock from my backyard as a Shiva Lingam? I want to buy a lingam online from the Himalayan Academy but I can't afford it right now. My family was getting a lawn irrigation system installed in our yard and the workers dug up a lot of rocks from underground as they were putting it in. They put all the rocks in a pile, and I noticed that one of them is pretty much shaped like a Lingam, although not exactly. Would it be appropriate for me to use this rock in my worship as a Lingam, or is that disrespectful and frowned upon?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam namahsivaya: Personally, I think its fine. Narmada lingams are just natural rocks, after all. Of course they come from a sacred river, but then the whole planet is sacred. we have one like you describes sitting between some others in our frontyard. Whenever we are in the Rockies and hiking in some riverbed, I'm chronically searching for a perfectly formed one. http://www.ankurgems.com/navali.html

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

It is our faith which turns a stone in GOD. In all of the temples, Murti are made of clay, but it is our faith which makes them GOD. Of course these murti are accepted after proper rituals.

There is also a word - Pran Pratistha - putting soul in ( meaning is not the exact, I am just trying to explain you). It is a puja ritual at every new opening of temple.

Yajvan ji is correct person to explain meaning of Pran pratistha word.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    There is also a word - Pran Pratistha - putting soul in ( meaning is not the exact, I am just trying to explain you). It is a puja ritual at every new opening of temple.

Yajvan ji is correct person to explain meaning of Pran pratistha word.
    This is prāṇa pratiṣṭha as AmIHindu suggests. Let's take a look at the words...
    • prāṇa we know as the breath of life, respiration and vitality. Yet there is more ( as you would expect). This word also means (in sāṃkhya) puruṣa or the Universal Being. Prāṇa is also defined as brahmā, in the brahmāsūtra-s.
    • pratiṣṭha is defined as standing firmly , steadfast . Now lets look at it like this : pratiṣṭhā , this means abide , dwell , to extend or dwell over.
    Hence prāṇa pratiṣṭha is the infusion, the seat, or making a dwelling for the Supreme to reside within the finite.

This is done with various mūrti-s ( or idol, I prefer embodiment) that have settled into mūrta ( shape or form). Note that this is done with pristine (new) mūrti-s that are being installed for the first time; yet this is also done during yajñā-s with the priest for a pūja (worship).

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I too don't have the money at the moment to buy a Lingam, but I did find a possible solution? There is a website that explains how to make one with flour and other common house-hold items.

The instructions:
    Things needed:
    1) Mixing bowl
    2) Flour - 1 cup.
    3) Water - cups.
    4) Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon.
    5) Salt - 1 cup.
    6) The picture of a Shiva-linga.
    7) Black non-toxic paint.

How to make:

1) Pour the flour, water, vegetable oil and salt in the mixing bowl and blend well together using your hands. Form the mixture into a soft dough ball. Add a little water from time to time to make it wet.
    2) Sprinkle some flour on the dough. Continue to knead until the dough is smooth and stretchable.
    3) Using the picture as a reference, make a shiva-linga with the dough.
    4) Apply paint on every bit of the exposed surface of the shiva-linga to entirely colour it in black.
    5) When the paint has dried, colour the underside of the craft. Keep it inverted to dry for sometime.

Source:
    http://www.theholidayspot.com/shivra...UaYCjhTt3Fv.99
    I wonder if this would be an acceptable way to make a Lingam in the mean time?

Sri Matre Namaha.

Dear Namasivaya and Aruna Kamala,

great to see such intense interest in worshiping a Siva Lingam.

After going through the entire post, I've understood 3 questions raised.

1. Can a stone from back yard be worshiped as Siva Lingam.
    A. Yes it can be. All you need to do is pray with pure heart requesting Siva to come and stay in the Idol. Faith is the most important feeling in Idol worship.

2. Does it require Prana Prathista ?
    A. Yes it does. Invoking Siva in the stone lingam itself is Prana Prathista.

Sri Matre Namaha.

Continuation from my previous reply. Mistakenly submitted incomplete reply.

Prana Prathista for household idols can be done in a simple way.

Ex... Sivayanamaha, Saangam, Sa ayudham, Pathni, Putra, Parivara sametham Parameswaram Avahayami, Sthapayami, Poojayami.

Here is a simple Prana Prathita Mantra.

Aasuneete Punarasmasu Chakshuh Punah Pranamihano dehibhogam
    Jokpasyema Soorya muccharantam manumate mrudayana Swasthihi. Amruthamvai prana, Amruthamaapaha,Prananevayadhasthanam upahvaye

Prana Prathistapana Muhurtha Sumuhurthosthu.

Hold a flower with your right hand, cover the idol or image with it and say the above mantra.

Now say the following mantra as many times as possible along with the mantra / Nama of the god that you would like to invoke(at least 24 times for the first time) sprinkling milk or water with a flower or leaf on the idol.

"Om Ham Sah"

Note : all of the above process is required for only those who want to do the Pranaprathista in a ritualistic way. Otherwise, a simple invocation of Siva to come and stay in the Stone Lingam is sufficient.

3. Lingam made of clay or flour.
    A. There is s simple, yet effective process of worshiping a clay lingam called as the Parthiva Linga archana.

Process:

Take a small amount of mud/clay from an anthill/riverbed or from any place which is not polluted.

Make a Siva Lingam with it and worship it with Milk, Water, Coconut water or as per once convenience, but with love and faith.

After the completion of worship, the Siva Lingam needs to be immersed in a water body.

This Parthiva Linga Archana can be done by anyone with least restrictions, Yet, it is considered really effective in this Kali Yuga.

This was told to me by one renowned Sri Vidya Upasaka.

Sri Matre Namaha.

bhavo hi vidyate devo na loshte kashte pashane cha

God appears in the purity and depth of the sentiments not in metal,wood or stone.
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

What Mahadev searches for, is not a well-sculpted linga or milk being offered on it per day, Mahadev only looks for devotion in the devotee's heart. You may use the rock, and pray with full devotion treating the rock as a prana-pratishthit linga, and your prayer will be successful. This is what all is important

Thread Information