Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How does one become Hindu?

How does one become Hindu?

Namaste.

I just realized that my personal beliefs are associated with Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma). How do I begin and deepen my faith?

Thanks.

Re: How does one become Hindu?

Vannakkam Adam: There are several points of view on it, as you might expect. In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.

I would recommend "How to become a Hindu" but you may find it quite radical. I don't but others do. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/ Its free on line.

Certainly you can continue to pose questions on this forum. I would also express a lot of caution because of your age. My 'conversion' was 37 years ago, and I'm still working on it every day, so its not like a Christian baptism, and suddenly you're a whole new religion. its a slow arduous process of reprogramming certain areas of the mind to formerly foreign ideas that are just latent in the soul.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

There are some tantalizing bits to get one started by going to The Wikipedia Hinduism Portal. I look it up every day, and just bounce from article to article.

There is also About.com Hinduism. It even has the Bhagavad Gītā online (what will they think of next!?). Just avoid the forum.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste,

It is a hard question for me to answer. I born in India, I born to Hindu parents but still I have a question, if am I Hindu !! As I do not follow most of the rituals, I never read Bhagwat Gita - Ramayana or Mahabharat. That is the only reason my id is AmIHindu.

Hinduism is way of life, so I want to live that life. If I live that Hinduism life - pure - sattavik then my Soul ( Self ) , Mind ( Mann) and Duddhi ( Intellect) becomes more Sattavik, which leads me to Devotion, and Emotion to Shree Krishna. So if you just go to Temple will not fulfill you being a Hindu person. Whole day and night through out the life, will bring so much of Tej ( light) in yourself. Reading the scripture is important but following the same in real life is more important. So take it easy and do whatever you can do for follow Dharm.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste,

It is a hard question for me to answer. I born in India, I born to Hindu parents but still I have a question, if am I Hindu !! As I do not follow most of the rituals, I never read Bhagwat Gita - Ramayana or Mahabharat. That is the only reason my id is AmIHindu.
    For a long time I was in a similar position (except that I was born in the US). I guess at the end of the day, we Indians have it easy because no one will be able to tell the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    For a long time I was in a similar position (except that I was born in the US). I guess at the end of the day, we Indians have it easy because no one will be able to tell the difference!
    Vannakkam: I think second generation Indians here in North America actually have it very difficult, but that's just what I have observed. By 3 or 4 generations, as history has proven with other cultural groups, all facets of Indian culture, including Hinduism could very well be gone completely.

It is the opposite effect of 'total immersion' in a language or cultural in order to learn it.

But hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

Am I Hindu put is most eloquently and very much a Hindu post<3

But I will say it again in the simple ignorant style which is the only way I can.

Hindu is not a stamp you get on the forehead after you get into some water and someone pray over you.

Who we are....who we can become is defined by actions, thoughts and words.

Upon these rest our True identity.<3

Namaste Adam,

Many wise response already offered to you for your consideration. Becoming Hindu is nothing like becoming a born again Christian. If you go down the official route like some people, then you can go through an official name-changing ceremony. This is entirely your own choice, but it should not be made in haste. However, if you don't go through this ritual, this does not also mean you are not Hindu. There is no requirement for fancy rites or classes to "Hinduise" you.

In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.
    I agree completely with EM. It's like waking up to it and remembering Dharma, rather than being taught it from scratch. Some also say that being Hindu is not like being apart of any other religion, in that the moment you consider yourself Hindu (because the beliefs and actions are in fact reflections of your own behaviour or how you would strive to be) you are Hindu. You find you were Hindu all along, so to speak and that's why it is so commonly referred to as a way of life rather than a way of religion. This is what makes Hinduism a truly unique faith. Everything you do becomes seen through the eyes of the Eternal Dharma, and is not separate from it. It's never out of its equation. Science and faith are inextricably bound here, both leading to the Divine.

The wisdom of your true Self already shines in your innermost being. It has never been separate from you. All you need to do now is slowly ease yourself back into this life and become reacquainted to that most essential part of you, which may be simply called God.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast&#233;

I hear of this desire to become hindu often on HDF. I ask those then to do some research on this approach
    called vrātyastoma - a sacrifice performed to recover the rights forfeited by a delay of the saṃskāra-s.

This ~ritual~ is called out in the taṇḍya brāhmaṇa.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 July 2011 at 06:36 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thank you all very much.

Thread Information