Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of the Upanishads should you read each time?

Re: How much of the Upanishads should you read each time?

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post
    Namaste,

Just as I am seeking into Sanatana Dharma, I purchased a copy of the Upanishads to read and study.
    Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Wow, ILoveGod. From a post which drew a flurry of responses a couple of days ago w.r.t Christianity to this?
    Sometimes the levee breaks and the flood waters come rushing in.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

A discussion between Śrī Rāma and Hanumān-ji occurs. Śrī Rāma says the māṇḍūkya (frog) upaniṣad's wisdom is enough to bring liberation (kaivalya). Yet if one does not achieve this via this upaniṣad , then an additional 10 must be considered. If not the 10, then the 32 and one then should stop. He then says if desiring mokṣa without the body then read the 108. So , Śrī Rāmaḥ offers us a roadmap.

This post will assist: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4617

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

I am still in the process of reading through other scriptures, but contrary to many of the members' suggestions here I began my scriptural study with the Upanishads. It can be a little bit difficult wrapping your head around some of the symbolism in it, but if you find a good translation along with a reliable author to provide commentary, it isn't impossible to understand (from the perspective of a newcomer).

I agree with the others about taking it slowly. The scriptures should be read over time and so that the individual can reflect on the words written. Definitely not to be completed in one sitting. Not that you could read the Mahabharata in one sitting!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

What tends to ~trip-up~ people in the śāstra-s ? They are so profund because they address 3 levels of knowledge. Since the mahābhārata was brought up by sunyata07, lets use it as an example.

There are 3 levels one can look at regarding the kurukṣhetra event.
    • The physical level - this would be the fight of good vs. bad, right and wrong, the big oppressing the small, the strong oppressing the weak. One could say this occurs on the individual, social, national levels and can be seen via the senses.
    • The mental level - that of thoughts, ideas, tendencies, behaviors, traits, manas or mind, intellect (buddhi), etc. We can even place meditation on this level. The ~battle~ of the senses drawing one into the field of matter vs. inward to calmness, to steadiness towards the direction of the Self.
    • The spiritual level - this is the level of the devata, yet we as spiritual beings can also be found here as one experiences samādhi, perfect silence, etc. Now we have that tendency for union ( yukti, yoga) with the Supreme, yet the ego may get in the way , or the subtler kośa's¹ or even other impulses of nature that may restrict this ability.
    So , when we talk of the various symbols of the mahābhārata we're inferring those forces, tendencies, etc. that restrict or divert ( detour) one from their full spiritual experience. Yet the mahābhārata at the same time teaches those social rules and individual rules of proper habit and actions ( dharma).

If you recall or happen to read other posts, we know that knowledge can appear on 3 levels:
    • ādhibautika आधिभौतिक - the physical level - derived or produced from the elements
    • ādhidaivika आधिदैविक - the cosmic level pertaining to the devatā
    • ādhytmika आध्यात्मिक - of the Supreme, Self
    That said, let me offer a humble insight. Reading the śāstra-s does not insure comprehension. What does is complimenting your reading with the expansion of consciousness. Comprehension is structured in consciousness.

praṇām

1. kośa - a term for the 3 ( some call out 5) sheaths or succession of cases which make up the various frames of the body enveloping the soul.
    Last edited by yajvan; 27 September 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added definition
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

The upaniṣad-s play a key role in one's understanding... The word in itself gives us its value:
    upaniṣad उपनिषद् means 'to sit down near to' . But to whom? It could be to the teacher (ācārya) or guru well versed in the truth (satyam). Another view on this matter is setting (down) and resting ignorance, by revealing the knowledge of the Supreme.
    This notion comes from upani-śad. This śad is throw down , slay. And what is one throwing down? Ignorance. And this upani-śad is taken to include upāya - a means of success or strategy.

Yet upaniṣad is also defined as a 'secret doctrine' . But of what ? Of the Truths and essence of the veda-s. So we can apprecite the wisdom of the veda-s via the upaniṣad-s. Still it is of great worth to read the upaniṣad-s with commentaries ( bhāṣā ) offered by the wise, learned, and advanced in the subject matter. Many here on HDF have offered some clues on what to read.

From a personal point of view it has made me a better person.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste sunyata,

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste,

I am still in the process of reading through other scriptures, but contrary to many of the members' suggestions here I began my scriptural study with the Upanishads. It can be a little bit difficult wrapping your head around some of the symbolism in it...

I agree with the others about taking it slowly. The scriptures should be read over time and so that the individual can reflect on the words written. Definitely not to be completed in one sitting. Not that you could read the Mahabharata in one sitting!

Om namah Shivaya
    I read part of the Upanishads in college. There are indeed some challenging concepts.

I will probably start with the Srimad Bhagavatam, Canto X, I just got. I think that should prepare me for the full Bhagavad Gita. Then it's on to the Ramayana and Mahabharata. The Upanishads are for later.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    I suggest a different route that I have found useful. Why dont you supplement your study of the Upanishads along with the simultaneous study of the Brahmasutras? The Brahmasutras are an even more condensed version of the Vedas/Upanishads/Bhagvad Gita, etc.

The reason for suggesting the Brahmasutras is that many acharyas have explained the different Upanishads resolving the seeming contradictions within them. That way, you are less likely to be confused as you study the Upanishads. The most important commentators on the Brahmasutras are Adi Shankara (Advaita), Ramanuja (Visishtadvaita) and Madhav Acharya (Dvaita). It is always good to have a hard copy of the Upanishads and the Brahmasutras. But there are possibly online versions of these commentaries as well.

The Brahmasutras are by no means easy. The meanings of the sutras themselves and their commentary and how the commentary of each acharya fits within the overall philosophy developed by them require a lot of contemplation.
    Tell me more.

Namaste,

I really enjoy reading a little at a time and contemplating the verses. Some of the verses could be used as a meditation itself. What do the words really point too? It is very enjoyable to contemplate these things. Upanishads contain such wisdom.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

One must consider that the brahma sūtra-s clarify the wisdom, words and notions that are found in the upaniṣad-s. Of key import only 13 upaniṣad-s are suggested in the brahma sūtra-s. Why so ? IMHO these core 13 upaniṣad-s are sufficent to offer the clarification of brahma.

Well what about all the other upaniṣad-s ? What then ? What do we do with them ? This post may be of service : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4617

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

I love my copy of The Upanishads translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Frederik Manchester. Although I know they took much liberty in both the selection and translation of the texts, it is incredibly readable. It is a small but mighty book that I recommend to everyone here!
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Thread Information