Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First visit to a Temple

First visit to a Temple

Yesterday, I made my first visit to a Hindu Temple. It was such a profound joy. There were likenesses of Radha-Krishna, Sita-Rama, Lord Shiva, Maa Durga, Mahalakshmi, Saraswati, as well as some other deities I did not recognize. I sat cross-legged before each Aspect in turn and prayed my Mala.

Then, the priest of the temple invited me to join in a service called "Hindola Utsav", I believe? I was the only person there who did not know what to do, so I followed the example of an Indian family who was standing next to me during the service. I felt very timid, to say the least. When the priest took what I presumed was sacred oil and made the dot between my eyebrows, such joy overwhelmed me.

After ward, the priest asked me to sit with him and he explained the particulars of the temple to me. Everyone was so inviting. No one made me feel like I didn't "belong." I will be returning many times!

Om Radha Krishnaya Namaha

Re: First visit to a Temple

Hari Om Patrick!

I am overwhelmed and especially delighted with your first experience at the temple and with the priest who "took you under his wing" so to speak. Just goes to show that there are Hindus who are willing to take us into the fold with no reason to be afraid.

In terms of the tilak, yes, it is a blessing from the Gods.

Is there on deity you felt especially attached to or perhaps want to build a special relationship with?

Please don't be put off by not knowing all of the rituals etc. It will come in time. IMHO, one of the important things is taking darshan of the Lord and receiving his grace.

All the best to you in your continued ventures!

Om Namah Sivaya!

Namaste C. Smith,

Thank you. I pray most often to Maa Durga, to remove the ignorance from my eyes, and to Radha-Krishna, to develop and unquenchable love for the Lord.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Patrick

Namaste Patrick,

Congratulations on your first visit! That was so nice of the priest to show you around the place and make you feel welcome. I'm so glad for you that you enjoyed it so immensely, and will be returning there again. Best wishes for the future.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam Patrick: I'm glad you enjoyed it. I presume it was the Hindu temple of kansas City? I've been to the one in Omaha, not that far away. I've also heard nothing but good things about the priest at the one in Tulsa.

I'm glad you shared your experience with us.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you Patrick for sharing a heartfelt experience.
    If there is such a nice temple in your area, there must be some Indian clothing/grocery stores nearby too. I would suggest that your next step should be to buy a kurta, white or some neutral color, to go with your pants, for the temple visits. Having proper clothing on during your temple visits is another step towards your affirmation of your new found love for SD.
    Blessings and good wishes for your journey on the path to spirituality.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Thank you Patrick for sharing a heartfelt experience.
    If there is such a nice temple in your area, there must be some Indian clothing/grocery stores nearby too. I would suggest that your next step should be to buy a kurta, white or some neutral color, to go with your pants, for the temple visits. Having proper clothing on during your temple visits is another step towards your affirmation of your new found love for SD.
    Blessings and good wishes for your journey on the path to spirituality.
    Vannakkam Believer: Just a story. A couple of my daughter's friends wanted to come to the temple with us out of curiousity, so when they were discussing it, the topic of clothing came up. I offered the young man one of my Indian kurta-pyjamas, so he tried them on. I don't particularly like them, much preferring veshti, but anyways this young man really liked the comfort level. So the very next day, he goes out to an Indian store and buys 5 more.

Indian clothing is just all so comfortable. I think a suit and tie, western style, is about the most uncomfortable thing ever made. Suits are way too hot, and a tie makes one think he is about to be hung.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 21 July 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Namaste Patrick,

That is truly great to hear! Best wishes for your continued journey into Sanatana Dharma.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,
    Patrick, at workplace not allowed to log onto forums. Every once in awhile I will take a quick HDF read but not log in. Saw your post this afternoon and was tempted to violate rules and log in I was strong though.

So very happy for you and for your experience.

Take care,

Rich

Namaste,

I still feel a little "high" from my first Hindu prayer service. The next day I visited a Vedanta Center and purchased my own copy of the Gita, translated by by Swami Nikhilananda. I have checked other editions out of the library, but I needed one of my own.

Thank all of you for your support.

Sonny

Thread Information