Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

Re: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

we have to do yoga daily in morning.This will be very helpful for our body.
    Online Hindu book Dealers
    Authorized Dealers of book of Hindu of Geeta press
    Cheap SEO packages India

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by sbglobal View Post
    we have to do yoga daily in morning.This will be very helpful for our body.
    The term yoga is far reaching... let me explain using a previous HDF post.

One may think of the various yoga's. We can look at the definition of yoga from two angles… one is how its defined classically by its roots and the other is how Patañjali defines it in his yogadarśana (the yoga sūtras of Patañjali) - this can be addressed if there is interest.

Yoga योग is rooted in yuj the act of yoking , joining , attaching , harnessing. But to what? To the Supreme, to bind one back to the source, to yoke one back to anuttara ( the Supreme).
    Yoga is also defined as a means , expedient , device , way , manner , a method. Hence with 'method' we get various yoga-s, here are some of the names of the major approaches:
    • rāja ( some write rāj ) राज - a king , sovereign , chief or best of its kind
    • karma (some write it properly as karman) कर्मन् - action consisting in motion ; act, special duty, skill in action
    • jñāna ज्ञान - knowing , becoming acquainted with , knowledge , (esp.) the higher knowledge of SELF, Supreme.
    • bhākti or bhākta भाक्त - ' the faithful ones'
    • hatha हठ - 'by force' ; ' necessarily , inevitably , by all means ' ( we will review this one on this post)
    • kriyā क्रिया - action; doing , performing , performance , occupation. For me this looks much like a definition for karma yoga
    Are there others? Yes. Some may add kuṇdalinī yoga to this list, which is fine. This is also tightly coupled with kriyā yoga practices. Then there are yoga practices that are offered, that the guru may coin his/her self.

hatha yoga
    In the West when one mentions yoga, it is implied that hatha yoga is being discussed - that of āsana postures or specific ways of sitting and/or breathing.

The etymology of this word is interesting... If one were talking to a hatha yoga sādhu and asked what he/she was doing, they would most likely answer 'finding balance' or 'working with and balancing the sun and moon forces'. Now how can we get to this notion offered by the sadhu from this word hatha? We know if we look at some of the roots it may help us:
    • ham हम् - an exclamation expressive of anger or courtesy or respect. We then can see where some of this force & obstinacy may come from, from this root; yet lets also consider the following:
    • haṭ हट्- to shine , to be bright
    • ha - the moon's disk, a disk ; also a loud noise.
    We can see where this notion of sun ( bright) and moon (disk) may have its origin. Why sun and moon? From a jyotiṣh perspective, sun is ātman, moon is mind, home of the senses. It is the notion of the co-operation of the mind-body-ātma working in concert that brings harmony and health to ones body.
    Sun and moon are sometimes viewed as day and night, opposites. Hatha is designed to integrate night and dark (opposites) to the benefit of the practitioner.

Just a bit more on this
    The sun and moon divide time into day and night and only meet during the twilight known as sadhyā (the gap, twilight ),where we are able to take advantage of not-sun , not-moon , but that wonderful gap in time. The harmonizing time for meditation.
    Yet when one does hatha yoga, each pose is held for a few moments, some for minutes... that is the grooming of sandhya (sadhyā) in that pose; to bring balance to the mind-body-ātman and perhaps to easily allow haṭha "violence, force, obstinacy, pertinacity or persistency" to dissipate.
    As we are influenced by the sun-moon's movements (they are considered the creative principle in jyotiṣh) this stimulates the human biological system to the cycles of the sun and moon. Hatha is designed to harmonize these influences for the benefit of the practitioner.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    So, now the note of karma yoga - it is action one performs while united with their own Self (ātman). This is the view of many schools, most notably kaśmir śaivism, which I believe holds true to the notion of karma yoga.
    Now one may be thinking, I can never accomplish this. The way this occurs is no different then dyeing a sheet to a different color.

We take a white sheet and dip it into a color say yellow, then we hang it in the sun to dry. The sun fades the color and it goes closer back to white. We do it again, and more of the yellow stays and becomes ~fast~ as they say in the clothing business.

We too can do the same - we face inwards to experience Self; We immerse ourselves in Being. We come out into activity and begin to stabilize this in our daily activities. We then fad back to white somewhat, but then we dip again into Being, over and over until this Being is ~fast~ in our nature.
    We then become aṇupaśyata - face inwards and enjoy the silence of the Self. We then act - this is the nature of karma yoga

praṇām

words
    aṇupaśyata = aṇu+ paśyata
    • aṇu = atomic, fine, subtle, a name of siva; the ātman
    • paśyata = visible, conspicious of
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Your signature line is one of my all time favorite quotes.

Aum Namasivaya

ever since i came across it while reading some Shiva notes, it's been a mantra for me. life has been hard lately so this is something i regularly chant to keep myself from going crazy lol.
    "I'm alright, right now."

Thread Information