Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

How do you choose your way of Yoga?

Namaste,

I learned there are different types of yoga, but in the end they all lead to the same Goal. How do you choose which type is the best for you? Or does the type of Yoga choose you, in a way?

Thank you.

Re: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

They are all interconnected, not seperate paths from each other. But karma yoga is the most basic, because most people are always performing some form of karma. Even the wise have to perform karma.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 19 September 2011 at 03:59 PM.

There is no limitation. You can pursue all ways. You can switch between them as the day or your desire requires.

In the morning you may engage in bhakti yoga. Later karma yoga whilst you work, and in the evening perhaps you study the scriptures in jñAna yoga.

Others may have different views, and I hope to learn with you

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    There is no limitation. You can pursue all ways. You can switch between them as the day or your desire requires.

In the morning you may engage in bhakti yoga. Later karma yoga whilst you work, and in the evening perhaps you study the scriptures in jñAna yoga.

Others may have different views, and I hope to learn with you
    That is a very good way to think of it. I'll mark that down.
    Yes, we are in this together; we will learn.
    Thanks very much for your wisdom.

i hope to find a local yoga place that offers and focuses on karma yoga rather than a bunch of giggly girls who are only going to yoga cause they want an excuse to wear tight pants...lol
    "I'm alright, right now."

Quote Originally Posted by heather.s View Post
    i hope to find a local yoga place that offers and focuses on karma yoga rather than a bunch of giggly girls who are only going to yoga cause they want an excuse to wear tight pants...lol
    Vannakkam: I'm really not sure if you'll find such a 'yoga' place. Karma yoga is usually thought of as 'service' so I can't see how within a western yoga studio you can do that. Volunteering at the food bank or local temple would seem a better fit. Others will have better ideas as to the definition of karma yoga. You might try searching the threads on here or elsewhere of how there is a debagte about yoga (read 'hatha yoga') is or is not essentially tied to Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind raises a good point about western yoga studios. Yoga studios here in the US I would say 99% of the time overwhelmingly mean Hatha yoga. It depends where one attends in terms of how spiritual it is. If it's held at a fitness center type chain-I doubt it's anything but for the health benefit of it, and no spiritual element. The studio I go to is very spiritual and honoring of the Hindu roots of Hatha yoga, and many times the music accompanying our class is Kirtan and also other chanting. We open with OM, and say two sanskrit chants and OM at the close of class. My instructor went to a weeklong seminar on Kirtan where bhakti yoga was done. We work on proper breathing too.
    I chose Hatha because my aim is to learn to meditate and center myself but also start to address my physical body. Hatha also of course is accessible, but I wanted it to be a studio that was just right. In the process, it has brought me to Hinduism and I count myself fortunate

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post
    Namaste,

I learned there are different types of yoga, but in the end they all lead to the same Goal. How do you choose which type is the best for you? Or does the type of Yoga choose you, in a way?

Thank you.
    I think that it all depends on a careful examination of your own self, your own inner sense of what 'fits' or feels right for you.

For instance, to give you a concrete example, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to just give everything up and sit down to meditate all the hours of my day. I feel that it is, not only a waste of time, but counter to my own set of circumstances, having a family and being a part of something that transcends simply my own individual intellectual or contemplative pursuits.

So, I accomplish that in my life which needs accomplishing, and should be had by acting. However, the key is that when I do indeed act (as in, for instance, doing the smallest act of kindness or duty, it doesn't have to be so big) I feel as though I am not doing it for any possible outcome, but simply to burn and purify my own mind, and also, as a whole, the well-being of the entire universe. This sense of 'doing' then becomes not doing at all, but an abidance in God. Knowing this, I can know that I am fulfilling the requirements of Dharma.

That is, in any case, how I understand things in my own life as of now.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post
    Namaste,

Thank you.
    Namaste ILoveGod,

You are correct, all yoga lead to the same goal.

Coming back to your questions, just be sure, what is best suited will come to you eventually.
    Now one may ask when & I would say when the time is right.

And what does one do, till then?
    Just continue with what you were doing, keeping your eyes and ear open like a good disciple and learn.

Remember the most important aspect of spirituality, as you begin to tread the path, is Faith.

Always have the faith in your Guru and almighty (whatever you may wish to call him/her.. Krishna/ Allah/ Jesus or Ram). This almighty knows exactly what is going on in your mind, otherwise he wouldn't be the Lord we worship, so just have faith and sincere love for him and he would take care of everything.

Even if you start with a wrong yoga things will change with time and your loving lord will bring you to the path meant for you/ best suited for you.

Let me explain how.........
    Any good teacher would always allow his/her disciple to try for himself first before helping out, if need be.

A child when starts taking first step, mother comes for help only when needed, till then she stands at a distance enjoying the first baby steps of her child.

Similarly almighty would like to see his devotee making sincere efforts first, taking his/her baby steps on the path of spirituality, before providing help, if & when needed.

I hope that clarifies your doubt.

I could sense the sincerity of your query, just hope you continue with your sincere efforts.

Blessings

Ekoham
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    I think that it all depends on a careful examination of your own self, your own inner sense of what 'fits' or feels right for you.

For instance, to give you a concrete example, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to just give everything up and sit down to meditate all the hours of my day. I feel that it is, not only a waste of time, but counter to my own set of circumstances, having a family and being a part of something that transcends simply my own individual intellectual or contemplative pursuits.

So, I accomplish that in my life which needs accomplishing, and should be had by acting. However, the key is that when I do indeed act (as in, for instance, doing the smallest act of kindness or duty, it doesn't have to be so big) I feel as though I am not doing it for any possible outcome, but simply to burn and purify my own mind, and also, as a whole, the well-being of the entire universe. This sense of 'doing' then becomes not doing at all, but an abidance in God. Knowing this, I can know that I am fulfilling the requirements of Dharma.

That is, in any case, how I understand things in my own life as of now.
    Indeed! I too have a family, and a full-time job (a profession which provides meaning to me and gives meaning to others). I absolutely could not spend all day meditating. I'm just looking for a brief daily period before bed. I do my yoga poses before bed too. And acting for others is a big thing. I have a duty as well, certainly to my own family and my role in upkeep of our home. I chant quietly to myself at times, but not for a twenty minute set multiple times a day every day because I have honorable obligations to do, but especially with my daily yoga poses at home, I still will usually say a mantra or chant several times in a row but other times too, and in the car, yes sometimes 10-15 minutes or so. God's ears hear even one chant is my feeling.

Thread Information