Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

Re: How do you choose your way of Yoga?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I'm really not sure if you'll find such a 'yoga' place. Karma yoga is usually thought of as 'service' so I can't see how within a western yoga studio you can do that. Volunteering at the food bank or local temple would seem a better fit. Others will have better ideas as to the definition of karma yoga. You might try searching the threads on here or elsewhere of how there is a debagte about yoga (read 'hatha yoga') is or is not essentially tied to Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

so what you're saying is, kharmic yoga doesn't HAVE to be actual yoga? it can be more charity kind of work? i thought yoga in Hinduism was literal yoga...i learn something new here every day
    "I'm alright, right now."

Quote Originally Posted by heather.s View Post
    so what you're saying is, kharmic yoga doesn't HAVE to be actual yoga? it can be more charity kind of work? i thought yoga in Hinduism was literal yoga...i learn something new here every day
    This comes from the western misconception that Yoga is just a bodily practice or just simple meditation.

Yoga in its etymology means connection, union, it's not just a philosophy or an aspect of spiritual life, yoga is the wholeness of spiritual life itself and its perfection is pure bliss attained from the intersection of knowledge (provided by masters) and direct perception.

Vannakkam Heather: These days there are no simple definitions of 'yoga'. As Pietro said, in the west it has become practically synonymous with hatha yoga, or doing asanas. From that, really modern non-Hindu terms have branched out such as hot yoga, of after the names of famoust teachers like Iyengar Yoga.

But if you google 'karma yoga', bhakti yoga' or 'jnana yoga' you will get a sense of how complicated it is.

Karma is translated as 'action' so karma yoga would be any action that helps ease your karma, and more. Its often translated as 'service' so even service to giving souls a place to continue (raising a family) their evolution would be considered karma yoga.

I recognise all this sounds complicated, but its only complicated if you think about it too much and overanalyse it.

Aum Namasivaya

it's not that confusing. actually when you put it that way, it makes more sense to me. i remember studying hinduism in college and thinking "how many different ways CAN you do a sun salutation?" lol...so this actually clears it up
    "I'm alright, right now."

it's not that confusing. actually when you put it that way, it makes more sense to me. i remember studying hinduism in college and thinking "how many different ways CAN you do a sun salutation?" lol...so this actually clears it up
    Vannakkam: Your signature line is one of my all time favorite quotes.

Aum Namasivaya

ISKCON's Definition:

'Lord Krishna summarizes the various forms of yoga in the Bhagwad Gita's eighteen chapters. In essence there are four kinds: Raja-yoga involves sitting postures, breath control, and meditation and is popular today in the form of Hath-yoga. Bhakti-yoga is the yoga of devotion, Karma-yoga the yoga of selfless action, and Dhayan-yoga the yoga of knowledge.

While the paths differ, their fundamental goal is the same: to realize, that God is the core of our being and that life is meant for dedicating ourselves to His service. Yoga, in all its varieties, seeks to bring its practitioners beyond the usual identification with the body and the mind, situating one in transcendence. Thus pandit Patanjali codified a means by which one could master one's senses, ultimately leading to the goal of yoga. His method is a type of Raja-yoga. But the other yoga systems are more direct, fostering relationship and even intimacy with God. And of all the yogas, Bhakti is the best, because it puts its practitioners in an immediate relationship with God in His topmost personal form, as Shri Krishna, thus achieving the goal of yoga in an easy and natural way.'

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    And of all the yogas, Bhakti is the best, because it puts its practitioners in an immediate relationship with God in His topmost personal form, as Shri Krishna, thus achieving the goal of yoga in an easy and natural way.'
    Bhakti yoga for the win.

I think bhakti yoga generates karma yoga which generates jnana yoga.

Devotion to Sri Krishna and keeping Him uppermost in your mind causes you do do everything in His service which allows knowledge to come.

Just my view.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I agree, bhakti is no doubt the highest form of yoga, as is easily concluded from the Bhagavad Gita.

Vannakkam: I love my bhakti, but eventually I recognise that it all has to be turned inward, and taken to Raja Yoga. It's not called the king of Yogas for nothing. But then I'm a monist, not a dualist. Not looking for an argument, just expressing another POV. And I certainly don't consider myself anywhere close to it, but still it's nice to sit and attempt some sort of meditation after an nice puja once in a while. The force of the puja helps drive me inward.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

so what you're saying is, kharmic yoga doesn't HAVE to be actual yoga? it can be more charity kind of work?
    For those talking of and having the conversation on karma yoga a better understanding is needed.

Karma is correctly called karman कर्मन् - it is action. Yoga is union, it is also some times called yukti. This union is the union with the Self, with ātma or notably with the Supreme ( which is brahman).

So, now the note of karma yoga - it is action one performs while united with their own Self (ātman). This is the view of many schools, most notably kaśmir śaivism, which I believe holds true to the notion of karma yoga.

Now there is some thought in vedānta that this karma yoga is actions with the notion of giving all actions and its fruits to the Supreme. This is a noble effort, because it is on the level of effort, thinking, etc. and is done before one is a realized person ( knowing the Self or ātman); tapas no doubt and a substantial discipline.

One must ask - what are the differences here ?

In the 1st definition above one is actually united with ātman. No effort is then needed to fulfill the
    ~formula ~ for karma yoga. Why so ? If one is possessed of the Self (ātman) then all actions are done by
    prakṛti ( nature - the intelligence naturally found in the Universe). This occurs 7 days a week, 24 hours a day with no effort.

In the 2nd definition the person is mentally active , making choices to 'give up' one's actions. This is active work ~ trying~ to abide to this code of giving all and divorcing one's self from the fruit of action. This occurs only during waking hours and the mindful state of the doer.

Hence , a better appreciation of karma yoga helps one understand the obligations and effort at hand. The implications are substantial.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information