Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism and pets?

Vegetarianism and pets?

I have a bit of a conundrum. I plan on giving up meat next year (some say why not now, I say I would rather prepare) but I have two cats. Now, before anyone suggests it, I am not going to give them up - this has been suggested before and it is rude and thoughtless. I love these animals, dearly, and sometimes they are the only things keeping me from losing it so I will never, ever give them up (unless, of course, I have to due to illness or old age on their part, I do not want them to suffer).

Now... the problem is this; cats are what we call obligate carnivores. They cannot live with dogs so the suggestion to feed them vegetarian food is just cruel. They would suffer for my desire to keep the household vegetarian and that is not something I could do. Also, who am I to try to change their dharma? A cat is meant to eat meat, if she were out in the wild she would not eat grass and berries, but smaller prey animals. She would not stop and say 'eating this is ahimsa, I should eat grass!', indeed she could not. There are vital nutrients in prey animals and cat food that she simply cannot get from any other source (cats do not produce taurine, which is an essential mineral/vitamin).

Would God really begrudge my feeding my cats the food that they require to live fully, healthy lives?

I knew one woman, a member of ISKCON, who had a cat but refused to feed it. Her son, who lived with her, had to feed it because she wouldn't allow cat food (containing meat) within her home. It seems to me that that is taking it too far. What do the members of the group think?

nitinsharma Guest

Re: Vegetarianism and pets?

You seem to be really attached to these animals(make sure nothing such happens again with any other pets),so you really have no choice but to feed them meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Would God really begrudge my feeding my cats the food that they require to live fully, healthy lives?
    I'm shocked you(specially being a 24 yr. old) even asked such a question.
    We,here believe(or at least pretend) that GOD is infinite love.

Please understand Nitinsharma, I am a convert who delved into Christianity before confirming with herself that Lord Shiva would not crying out so ardently to her - in all his many forms - if he had not desired her to come to him. Sometimes I still wonder, because of cultural training, if God is going to be angry at me for doing something. I know in my HEART that God may feel sad at what I do but It is never going to want to PUNISH me. Old Anita, however, die hard.

As for attachment... I am honestly finding it harder and harder. I love my cats with all my heart but I find I not as attached to new things as I used to be. Last week there was a small fire in my apartment, Shri Ganesh ji protected me as I slept for I only found out when I awoke, and I found myself... uninterested. It had happened, there was no use crying over spilled milk. I was safe, my home was safe, the cats were likewise safe. I will never do what caused the fire but I did not freak.

Sometimes... it scares me. Is this detachment or something else? Am I disassociating (I have bipolar disorder and I'm constantly vigilant of new symptoms) or is it true detachment? Should I see my doctor? What should I do? I don't know...

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5464

Been already worked through before.

Feed your pets...and keep them well...because you are responsible for them...it is your duty.

On a side note-

I personally would not encourage getting animals from puppy mills or breeding facilities for pedigree animals if at all possible. These places only bring more animals into this realm...when we have already so many uncared for animals starving and dying everyday.

We feed any animal who comes to us, and have rescued several...and I will continue to do so as long as I remain in this realm. Because it is a duty here for me to serve Beloved in every sundry possible way. Even birds at shopping centers get bread from my car.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    On a side note-

I personally would not encourage getting animals from puppy mills or breeding facilities for pedigree animals if at all possible. These places only bring more animals into this realm...when we have already so many uncared for animals starving and dying everyday.

We feed any animal who comes to us, and have rescued several...and I will continue to do so as long as I remain in this realm. Because it is a duty here for me to serve Beloved in every sundry possible way. Even birds at shopping centres get bread from my car.
    Ciggie (my eldest cat) was given to me as a present for my 12th birthday (this wasn't a surprise pet, everyone knew I wanted a cat) as a kitten and Molly (the youngest) I bought from a shelter last year. She'd been abandoned there by her owners because they were moving interstate. I don't know why anyone would just leave her, she's such a sweetie - always purring, always talking...

My cats... enlighten my life. Even if they do make me swear occasionally! Sometimes they're so frustrating but I wouldn't swap them for the world.

Vannakkam DK. Our cat adores boxes ... especially ones that are smaller than her. Last night I left a square flower basket about 7 by 7 sitting on the kitchen table, after temple. Maya the cat just had to try to curl up in it. She never did get wholly in, but the effort was worth watching. They have so many weird behaviours.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste NayaSurya,

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Feed your pets...and keep them well...because you are responsible for them...it is your duty.
    Yes, cats and ferrets (and that family) are hyperobligate carnivores. They are what they are for a reason. They need the food they need for a reason. I absolutely oppose feeding obligate carnivores a vegetarian diet. They will die. They can't process plant matter, their digestive tracts are too short. Moreover, without the amino acid taurine, cats will go blind. The same is pretty much true for canids... dogs, wolves, foxes, coyotes. They are more omnivorous than cats, but they are still obligate carnivores.

On a side note-

We feed any animal who comes to us, and have rescued several...and I will continue to do so as long as I remain in this realm. Because it is a duty here for me to serve Beloved in every sundry possible way. Even birds at shopping centers get bread from my car.
    I ratted-out a mall pet store to the county SPCA because the puppies are kept in cages that have wire bottoms. Their little paws can go through, the dog can panic and twist its foot. Moreover, wire mesh is hard on their paws, and to lie down on. But it's easier for the store owners to keep clean. They should be in the cages... they're called jail cells.

I spoke to the SPCA animal control chief who said he was on his way to that area anyway, and would take a look. I have no idea what happened yet. I hope the store gets cited and shut down. I hate mall pet stores.

I rescued two little ferret girls who both had one form of cancer or another. They were given away by their owners who knew they were old and getting sick. I force fed them food and medication, but in the end, Alexis, the first little girl, died in her sleep in the cage. My second little girl, Truffles, had to be put down. She was so pitiful in trying to move about. I can still start crying thinking about them. Some people should have only stuffed plush animals.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I knew one woman, a member of ISKCON, who had a cat but refused to feed it. Her son, who lived with her, had to feed it because she wouldn't allow cat food (containing meat) within her home. It seems to me that that is taking it too far. What do the members of the group think?
    ISKCON really has a nack for attracting wackos!

On a serious note, it's our duty to offer food for the animal we decided to keep at our houses. If we're vegetarians in our diets we're already practicing non-violence personally, but perhaps the animal's body cannot function properly without meat (a competent vet would answer this best based on the animal) and making the animal suffer and perhaps even die because we're on a delusion of being saintly while we're in fact torturing a living being is worst than having to buy a product that contains meat, that's for sure.

BTW, I have 7 cats, all from shelters, most I brought home before I turned vegetarian 8 years ago.

Namaste DK,

Having had pets of my own, I understand your devoted love for your pets, and would never suggest abandoning them now because you want to follow your spiritual journey. This is unfair for them who have lived with you for so long, and the suggestion to give them up because they've become a nuisance strikes me as being a wee bit selfish. Maybe you could consider one day if it'll be something that bothers you, but that's to be your decision at the end of the day.

There's being vegetarian because you honour the code of ahimsa and which to refrain from consuming the flesh of what was once a living being, and then there's being plain silly and superstitious. There is a reason why a human is a human, and a cat is a cat. We are different animals with different dietary requirements for our own survival, so why pretend otherwise? To speak truthfully, I think this type of behaviour is taking things too far. I agree very much with you. It is cruel to force any animal - especially obligate carnivores - to conform to the same veggie diet as you. Being a hunter is part of the cat's nature; it's his dharma, and so he is obligated to fulfil it. It is ludicrous to assume you can change that because you yourself wishes to observe vegetarianism for spiritual reasons. One might even argue it is a form of himsa to force the cat to follow your yama of ahimsa. How can your two dharmas be the same?

Please remember that God is not going to be angry with you. Consider this: how many times to do you ask yourself before doing something: "Am I pleasing God in doing this? Or will He be angry?" Just by thinking this, you are already considering His wishes. How could He ever be angry at that? Thinking of Him even just once a day already makes Him very happy, so please be kind to yourself and don't blame yourself for what you do. God does not expect perfection from you. He doesn't want that from you. Just your love and happiness for and in Him are what brings Him joy.

True detachment is not when you stop caring about something. It isn't like a shrug of the shoulders or a diminishing of one's sense of awareness. It's about recognising that something is happening, maybe even being afraid or happy (or whatever the emotion is reative to the situation), but going ahead and dealing with it anyway with the knowledge that the Self is never harmed, offended or moved. There is a part of you that will remain eternally constant, shining and untouchable. With this wisdom in mind, whether for good or bad, happy or sad, you are able to observe all the goes on around you with complete, unselfish peace of mind.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste DK,
    ISKCON lady is fine in doing what she felt was right, she has her own convictions and thats from her own devotion. We shouldnt judge her negatively. That said, our own cat turns acutely cantankerous even with half of its bowl still full, she just wants it FULL 24/7, period. A classic case of Poorva Janma sukrutam. Probably she must have been my owner last janma and I its cat, my past bad karma is now getting resolved this time around with roles reversed people. Feed the feline the regular cat diet sold in stores please.
    There is a dharmic example I can come up with, which might resolve the mimasa. Lets bring in Durga Devi into the picture along with her vahana (ride) the Lion. There are many vegetarian hindus who have the images of carnivore along with Kali displayed at their homes. Does it mean the lion was a vegetarian? Of course not. Similarly both lord Vishnu and lord Shiva are depicted along with a Sarpa (snake), another nonvegetarian.
    Animals, both herbivores and carnivores, are inseparable from hindu divinity & faith; the Sanskrit scholars were animal rights nuts, if I may fondly characterize them so. The beauty of Hinduism is it allows enormous flexibility so long as the corners are cut only to help another jeeva, but not self.
    Lastly, detachment is good, lack of empathy is not, the two are NOT mutually inseparable.

Thread Information