Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiritual Development.

Spiritual Development.

Namaste,

Here is new thread to find way to evolve ( spiritual development) yourself.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...9083#post69083

Quote Originally Posted by Ekoham View Post
    Namaste Yajvanji,

Actually, today itself I was thinking of starting a new thread on above topic, can we have an enlightening discussion on above.

Pranam

Ekoham
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have noticed as one evolves ( meaning spiritual development) hostility (vaira¹, dviṣ¹ ) is less of an issue.

If one evolves then there is not problem, but how to evolve is a very big issue. Evolving is not that much easy.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Re: Spiritual Development.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I think we may wish to discuss what is spiritual development. I think we know it when we see it, but before we talk of this development, what to we consider spiritual ?

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namasté

The spirit to my mind is that which the physical body contains to over see its well being in the physical world, to help run all these complicated systems. It insures that our heart beats that we breath regularly and in in appropriate manor for the given situation. Once well fed and oiled it allows us to think about continuing its form and nature by reproduction. Or should the environment permit, spend energy on creating forms in its own likeness or even so far as to try to understand its own likeness.

I should like to think that all spiritual growth starts with awareness and perception. Awareness of a need within our selves for change and the perception to know that this change is spiritual in nature even if it involves physical worldly changes too. Thus with an inkling of how to go about it.

What is this spiritual development?

To my mind it is the acquisition of wisdom at a very base level of our beings, which in turn helps us make better decisions for the right reasons. Allowing us to progress in HARMONY with the world. A balance both within our selves and the world about us. Under the condition of perfect balance or joining this becomes that becomes one.

Aum shri Ganeshaya nahma

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Spiritual means non-material. Untouched by the relative field of life, yet the foundation for it. Just as space allows everything a place to exist , the spritual at its most fundamental and whole level is Being, pure Being.

Behind everything there is Being - the canvas of existence. Hence spiritual is the recognition and appreciation of Being at the core of everything. This brings unity to all of creation.

Spiritual development is first recognizing and directly experiencing this Being in ones own self as Self; then the ~development~ part is the unfoldment that every fiber in the universe is bathed in this Being.

The development part is once again becoming so innocent in awareness that one perceives ~feels~ this Being. That is why we start with ourselves. It is the closest point to begin the journey.
    That is why there are so many approaches. People are thinkers, feelers, extoverted, intoverted, etc. Since Being is everywhere it is finding that technique that resonates with one's nature.

My teacher always reminded us, the world is as you are. If one is unhappy or sad, the world looks the same way. If one is filled with and lives in Being, of fullness, the world is the same way.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 03 August 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Behind everything there is Being - the canvas of existence. Hence spiritual is the recognition and appreciation of Being at the core of everything. This brings unity to all of creation.
    How does this recognition and appreciation unfold or occur? Fundamentally there are 2 components - knowledge and experience. One compliments the other.

Knowledge, when one thinks about it is the basis of action ( of doing), action is the basis of achievement. So proper knowledge is needed to understand this spiritual pursuit for its achievement. Some knowledge gives some achievement, in-depth and full knowledge adds more and more to one's pursuit.

Yet this knowledge needs to be complimented by personal experience. This personal experience in this case is the unfoldment of Being within one's self. Some say it is an approach, a technique, upāya¹. And what we are aiming at is called this upeya¹ the aim of one's intent.

So when we look at spiritual development we have the components
    of knowledge + experience + upāya + upeya.

We want right knowledge from reliable sources, no ? This will validate if our experiences are right. We what proper techniques and the proper goal. Our goal we have set: that of the recognition and appreciation of Being to unfold within our awareness, our direct personal experience.

But what else is an ~ingredient~ ? Patience and persistence.

praṇām

words
    • upāya - that by which one reaches one's aim
    • upeya - to be striven after or aimed at , that which is aimed at; the aim to be set about or undertaken ,
      a thing undertaken
    Last edited by yajvan; 26 July 2011 at 09:47 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Another ingredient...one of the most important to me.

Beloved, precious Beings so full of the Truth(all of you who help in this forum<3).

To help us align the words of Truth with the experience.

and I am not sure...but pretty sure

That it take much much more patience on your side, being one of those whom sheds the light upon the words so precious, which is so desperately needed...to confirm this experience!

Thank you all, for puting up with the shenanigans of our learning.<3

Vannakkam: I believe one should not dwell much, if at all, on their own spiritual unfoldment. There are better more progressive things to do. I try to leave it in Siva's hands.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

It is difficult to define Spiritual in one word but I call it Adhyatmik.

People are at different level of Adhyatmikta. Depending upon their Spiritual practice - Adhyatmik Karya they purify themselves. All people who worship or do rituals are Adhyatmik but their degree differs depending upon their actions in reallife.

In my opinion, why do we do this practice ? To get self enlightenment. In general terms if we pray to GOD or do rituals, that takes us near to enlightenment. But more specifically speaking, we try to increase Sattva guna within ourselves. More one increase Sattva in oneself, one's life gets more spiritual - Adhyatmic, nearer to Moksh.

When said Sattva brings spirituality to us or Sattva takes us to Moksh, at the same time, I believe, Rajas and Tamas will not take you there but there are devotees who are Rajas and Tamas predominant.

More than happy to receive more on above.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I believe one should not dwell much, if at all, on their own spiritual unfoldment. There are better more progressive things to do. I try to leave it in Siva's hands.
    If this be applicable for everyone then patañjali-ji has wasted his words; then ādi śaṅkara-ji words and insights will have gone for naught. He says¹ let the wise person strive for liberation. Let him become absorbed whole-heartedly in the Truth taught by him ( 'him' here is the sage, guru, etc.)

praṇām

1. From ādi śaṅkara-ji work, vivekacūḍāmaṇi - 8th śloka

yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Vannakkam Yajvan: I think my wording was wrong. What I meant to say was dwelling on which level that you are at. Overanalysis. Of course we should do our best at striving to unfold, from wherever we are. A marathoner puts equal effort into the beginning, the middle, and the end of the race. Its one step at a time regardless it there are 10 meters left or 20 miles left. Sorry if the message wasn't clear.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information