Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mantra Ram vs The Name Ram.

The Mantra Ram vs The Name Ram.

I have been told that the name Ram is even more effective than the person Sri Ram. That one should meditate upon the sound Ram since it touches important energy centers in the body.

Can anyone else shed light on simply doing japa or meditation on the word/name Ram?
    I am taste in water, son of Kunti,
    I am light in the moon and sun.
    The sacred syllable Om of all the Vedas,
    Sound in ether, manliness in men.
    [vii.8-10]

Re: The Mantra Ram vs The Name Ram.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
    I have been told that the name Ram is even more effective than the person Sri Ram. That one should meditate upon the sound Ram since it touches important energy centers in the body.
    There is no difference between the two...the sound is the form.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Yes Indeed, there is no doubt about the truth that has been told to you "the name Ram is even more effective than the person Sri Ram".
    It is said fondly among the devotees of Sri Ram "Ram se bada Ram ka naam". The real Ram is not only the son of King Dasharatha or King of Ayodhya, the name Ram has much more deep meaning. Hence the above phrase.

Pranam

Ekoham
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Ādi Śaṅkara's reference to śrī rām from the pādma purāṇa regarding this matter: ramante yogina anante nityānande cidātmani -
    The yogins revel in Him who is eternal bliss, pure consciousness and endless.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Ekoham View Post
    Namaste,

Yes Indeed, there is no doubt about the truth that has been told to you "the name Ram is even more effective than the person Sri Ram".
    It is said fondly among the devotees of Sri Ram "Ram se bada Ram ka naam". The real Ram is not only the son of King Dasharatha or King of Ayodhya, the name Ram has much more deep meaning. Hence the above phrase.

Pranam

Ekoham
    Can you explain the deeper meaning to me, brother?
    [vii.8-10]

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
    Can you explain the deeper meaning to me, brother?
    Namaste WTyler,

You ask me to describe which even Veda's couldn't and kept saying Neti, Neti!
    Something that is a matter of experience can't be put in words. Only a Sadguru can show you the path.
    But since you asked I will quote from what Saint Kabir said

"Ek Ram dashrath ghar dole ek ram ghat ghat me bole
    Ek Ram ka sakal pasra ek Ram to sabse nyara (This is in Hindi)

Means:
    There was one Ram who was born in the house of King Dashrath.
    There is one Ram who is residing in the heart and soul of each human
    There is one Ram who is the creator of all.
    There is one Ram who is beyond all, all pervasive, ever present who is the unique being.
    All four are one and the same.

The all pervasive Ram manifested in a human form as a son of King Dashrath. He looked like a normal human being.
    One needed the inner spiritual eyes to see his true form.
    But only the very fortunate who were blessed had the ability to recognize him.

More if you still desire...

Pranam

Ekoham
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

Pranam

Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram

There is no difference between the two, the Naam and the Naami.
    but there is for me, while i can not see Ram i can Chant the name Ram which is sublime and simple. mere chanting the name all auspiciousness and pleasure is derived.

Sant Tulsidas, who can bigger authority then him, whose Ramcharitra was endorsed by none other the Lord Shiva writes; Balkand

I greet the name Ram of the chief of Raghus, which is composed of seed-letters representing the fire-god, the sun-god and the moon-god (viz., Ra, Å and Ma respectively). It is the same as Brahmå (the creative aspect of God),Vishnu (His preservative aspect) and Siva (His disintegrating aspect), and the vital breath of the Vedas; It is attributeless, peerless and a mine of virtues. It is the great spell which Lord Mahe‹vara mutters and which, when imparted by Him at Kashi leads to emancipation. Its glory is known to Lord Ganesh, who is worshipped before all others as a glary of the Name. The oldest poet (Vålm¶ki) is acquainted with the glory of the Name,
    inasmuch as he attained to purity by repeating It in the reverse order§. Hearing the verdict of Lord Siva that the name is as good as a thousand other names of God, Goddess Bhavån (Pårvat¶) dined with Her consort after uttering It only once.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Pranam

More from Tulsidas Goswami on the glories of the Name

Both the letter-sounds are sweet and attractive; they are the two eyes, as it were,of the Alphabet and the very life of the devotee. Easy to remember and delightful to one and all, they bring gain here and provide sustenance hereafter. They are most delightful to utter, hear and remember and are dear as Råma and Laksman to Tulasidåsa. When treated separately, the two letters lose their harmony (i.e., are differently pronounced,
    bear diverse meaning in the form of seed-letters and as such yield different results); whereas they are naturally allied even as Brahma (the Cosmic Spirit) and J¶va (the individual soul) Good brothers like the divine sages Nara and Nåråyana, they are sustainers of the universe and redeemers of the devotee in particular. They are beautiful ornaments for the ears of the fair damsel in the form of Bhakti (Devotion) and stand as the spotless sun and moon for the good of the world.They are like the taste and the
    gratifying quality of nectar in the form of emancipation, and are supporters of the globe like the divine Tortoise and the serpent-god ›e¶a. Again, they are like bees for the beautiful lotus in the shape of the devoteeís mind and are the very like of Hari (Sri Krishna) and Haladhara (Balaråma, who wielded a plough as a weapon) for Yasodå (Their fostermother, the wife of Nanda) in the shape of the tongue.

Do.: eku chatru eku muku¢amani saba baranani para jou,
    tulas¶ raghubara nåma ke barana biråjata dou.20.

Lo! the two letters ( Ra and Ma) forming part of the name of Raghuvara (the Chief of the Raghu) crown all the letters of the Alphabet, the one spreading like an umbrella and the other resting as a crest-jewel, O Tulasidåsa. (20

Jai Shree Ram
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

There is another story involved. it goes something like this

Shri Ram is building the bridge to lanka with help of his army; they write name of Shri Ram on heavy boulders and throw it into the ocean and surprisingly instead of sinking they float in teh water and this is how the bridge is made.

One day Shri Ram gets curious and he takes a stone and throws it into the ocean. much to his surprise the stone sinks. Hanuman is watching him from a distance and can sense his confusion so he goes over to Shri Ram. Shri Ram asks him why is it that when others write my name on heavy stones and throw, they float but when i myself throw a stone, it sinks. Hanuman replies that you are the one who keeps everyone / everything afloat in this world. But if you yourself decide to sink something like you did with the stone who in the universe can help it stay afloat???? it has to sink.

Hence it is said, "Ram se bada hai Ram ka naam" meaning name of Lord Ram is greater than Lord Ram himself.

What a beautiful thread this has become! Points for all of you! Woo hoo!

I find the ram mantra extremely powerful and cleansing. Just simply "raaam" on the exhale. Simple yet blissful.

Jai Ram!
    [vii.8-10]

Thread Information