Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellow from a new forum member. Hari Bol!

Hellow from a new forum member. Hari Bol!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board - Hari Bol!

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with how active this board is, it looks like you have a very strong and participatory community here.

A little about myself (as it’s the customary thing to do) -

My story is probably very similar to many Westerners who become interested in Hinduism - although not completely. I was born into a multi-religious family, my mother is Roman Catholic and my father is a very liberal Muslim. I was raised in the Catholic tradition and attended things such as Sunday school although it was always in the light of extreme religious tolerance that my parents preached and practiced. We were never given dogmatic belief but more so taught that religion is a moral framework in which to live out your life.

I spent most of my late teens and early twenties misspending my youth (bye bye moral framework!) and it wasn't until I thoroughly burnt myself out on a combination of fast living, hallucinogenic synthetics and parties (I'm a child of the rave generation) that I really started to question who I was, why I was here etc - a very common experience for some westerners I believe.

It was at this time that I had a huge internal crisis and then ran into the Hare Krishna movement (by chance) and met a devotee who became a friend. The movement basically was responsible for me cleaning myself up, getting back to normal, re-enrolling and finishing university and just generally extracting myself from the dark excesses of hedonism that had become such a major aspect of my then life. The HK's got me back on track - and I am forever in debt to them for helping me with that. All glories to Srila Prabhupada, whilst I don't believe he was Krishna incarnate I am eternally thankful for his wisdom and guidance through his devotee's.

I was never initiated into the Hare Krishna movement, however my interest in Hinduism and to some extent my interest in my long lost cultural past (my father is north Pakistani) was well and truly sparked.

After a few qualms with ISCKON and some of the more extremist devotee's I came into contact with at my local temple, I decided to leave the shelter of Krishna (but I must say to some extent, stay within the shelter of Prabhupada) and go seeking again.

For the last ten years or so since I have been on a quest of sorts looking into this religion and that, messing around with things such as western esoteric magick and absorbing as much thought on belief and world religions as I possibly could...

I managed to get a "real job" at some point (I'm now a senior advisory in government on financial matters), got married, popped out a couple kids - I have a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old and just generally settle down.

I completely forgot about my spiritual convictions in the past five years, however having children has definitely bought them back to the fore. My wife and I have been discussing how we are going to give our children a sense of moral framework like my parents did. My wife is a scientist and a strong atheist. However, our opposing and diametric beliefs tend to compliment one another rather than clash.

In all my seeking - my thoughts have always returned to Hinduism and its many sects. I love the philosophy and cultural traditions.

So here I am - I remember once during my early twenties again a very "Big" ISCKON Guru told me one day I would have to settle on something - you can't keep seeking forever.

I guess that's where I find myself now - I'm ready to commit to some form of Hindu belief but what....

And that's where you guys and girls, and your knowledge are hopefully going to come in

I’m here to learn, share and hopefully make some friends.

Always on the path.

- Rahasya
    He is relishing the mellows of pure devotion within his mind,
    sometimes his hair stands on end, he feels quivering in his body,
    and tears flow from his eyes like waves.
    I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
    :cool1:

Re: Hellow from a new forum member. Hari Bol!

Namaste Rahasya,

Interesting history you've given us, thanks for sharing it. Your multi-religious and cultural upbringing will no doubt provide you with a rich source of tradition and reference to go by if you're interested in discussing Sanatana Dharma here with us. I don't think spiritual questing is necessarily for the young and fresh-eyed. You'd be surprised at the number of westerners who have reached the middle stage of their lives, and then realised perhaps was now then time to start asking the Big questions.

Anyway, do please make yourself at home here, and I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste Quark,

Welcome to HDF. You have an interesting background. Sanatana Dharma is vast and diverse, so hopefully you will find a home somewhere in it. I look forward to your posts.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Quark23 View Post
    I guess that's where I find myself now - I'm ready to commit to some form of Hindu belief but what....
    Welcome Quark. You are aware of some aspects of Hinduism already. As regards what will work for you, no one but you can answer it. The belief goes that each of us finds ourselves in different stages of our soul's evolution and reincarnation cycle. So, we will find different things working for us. IMHO, Sanatana Dharma offers the broadest possible set of means to The Divine. Take your time, look around, search and read through some of the older posts here in various subtopics, ask questions and maybe I (and others here) can answer them. If I cannot answer a question, I would consider that an opportunity for me to learn more.

Namasté Quark

Pleased to meet you.
    Am I correct assuming that your avatar name is from your Wife's good influence?

Mana

Namaste Quark,

Welcome aboard. Nice username - I'm a physics enthusiast too. Nice to read about your experiences, hope you find the discussions here useful and knowledgeable about Sanatana Dharma. Best wishes!
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Welcome Quark

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the kind welcoming to the forum. I'm hoping I can contribute something of value here given your extensive experience collectively.

I look forward to vigorous discussions with you all in the future.

- Rahasya
    He is relishing the mellows of pure devotion within his mind,
    sometimes his hair stands on end, he feels quivering in his body,
    and tears flow from his eyes like waves.
    I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
    :cool1:

Namaste,
    Welcome Rahasya,
    I hope to learn and share with you as well. Enjoy.

Vannakkam Quark: There are temples in Perth, no? Do you go to any?

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information