Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploring Hinduism

Question Exploring Hinduism

I am in the midst of a spiritual journey. Part of that journey has me exploring the truth. On this journey I have concluded that there is indeed a supreme being. What I am discerning now is what is the best option for following this supreme being. If you could be so kind as to express to me who this supreme being is to you, why you believe what you do, what motivates you to believe, where you expect your own journey of faith to take you, and how one goes about pursuing one's faith? Thank you for your consideration.

Ben

Re: Exploring Hinduism

Vannakkam Ben: Welcome to these forums. The answers to your questions could make a tome or two or three or a dozen. Each of us here on HDF will have a different answer, or perhaps two or more.

For starters, we all have a very personal opinion. Secondly, we all have an opinion of what all Hindus might think, or an attempt at a generalisation for you. So which do you want, personal opinions, or what we think is a consensus answer for all of Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Greetings,

I would suggest that although the journey is important let the path be the journey and the journey be the path. Enjoy the ride, because the ride is also the destination, ya dig?

The best method of "following" the supreme being is the method that rings true in your heart. In Hinduism you will have a wide variety of people who will tell you that way X is correct and another will tell you that way Y is correct. Those ways are not invalid, both are very true--to the person practicing it.

For me to tell you all of my personal experiences would be a bit daunting. Though, I can tell you I believe in a supreme being that dances joyously in the heart of all beings. I also believe in an eternal soul that lives on forever--why? I just feel as if there is a part of me that has simply was never born and has never died.

That's the tricky part, good fellow. This is me talking. My journey can't reflect your journey, my stories might inspire you, but brother, my stories are mine. Your path, whatever it may be, is correct. Don't grasp too much in the world of labels and the world of form.. find out what rings true in your heart.

Now if you want to ask about what Hindu's believe about A,B and C.. that could perhaps clear up some confusion for you, brother.
    I am taste in water, son of Kunti,
    I am light in the moon and sun.
    The sacred syllable Om of all the Vedas,
    Sound in ether, manliness in men.
    [vii.8-10]

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bet Beh View Post
    On this journey I have concluded that there is indeed a supreme being. What I am discerning now is what is the best option for following this supreme being.
    Ben, Welcome to HDF and all the best on your spiritual journey.

The first step (one that you have already taken) is to convince oneself about the existence of a "God".

The question that then comes about is, if there is a "God", what is the purpose of this universe/creation?

Abrahamic religions answer this one way. Islam says, Allah all of a sudden decided to test us. The test is whether one can believe in Allah. Muslims obviously believe this.

Hinduism answers the question of creation in multiple ways. According to Advaita, Brahman (Hindu God) is pure bliss - that is, Brahman can have no wishes or desire to test us souls, etc. It is completely content in itself. According to this stream of thought, creation never occurred. Everything IS Brahman. The world of diversity that we see is due to our false mental conditioning. Creation is an illusion.

This is a difficult answer to come to grips with for quite a few of us. Let us see if Hinduism has something else to offer at a more empirical level.

You believe in a God and I hope you also believe in a soul. Now the question is, does God create souls? If yes, then it would be very difficult to rationalize why there is so much gap in the life experiences of different people. Some are born rich, some are poor, some have great genetic makeup, some people have debilitating diseases right from childhood, etc. A God that creates souls and assigns bodies to souls randomly can so easily be accused of not being a fair judge. For instance, if I am going to be judged in an afterlife based on whether I believed or did not believe in Allah, it would be very easy for me to accuse Allah of making me a disbeliever by having me take birth in a non-Muslim family.

So, if God is not to be accused of being an unfair judge, the only other option is to have the individual souls themselves be the makers of their own destiny. That is why, at the empirical level, Hinduism posits that Brahman and individual souls have been existing since eternity. So, the question of Brahman creating the souls does not arise, absolving Brahman of playing favourites with souls. The number of souls is infinite. There have been infinite cycles of creation/sustenance/dissolution.

Now, to have souls be the makers of their own destiny we need a concept of reincarnation. The world of diversity [some rich, some poor, some healthy, some sick] arises on account of past karma. As one sows, so does one reap.

Brahman cannot be accused of suddenly having a desire to test souls, etc. like the Abrahamics do for one then needs to answer WHY all of a sudden Brahman developed that desire. Why not before, why not later?

This, in short, is a case for Hinduism based on pure logical necessity of the status of various ontological entities like God, souls, etc.

Now, many people, on seeing this are quick to pronounce Hinduism as fatalism. It is not so and if you like, you can read through some of the older posts here that deal with Karma/reincarnation.

Namaste,
    Welcome Ben. I like Eastern Mind's response. It rings true to me. His, WTylers and Wondermonk's responses gives you a hint of the richness that can be found in SD.
    For me, I had practiced a form of meditation for along time that in ways steered me away from SD. When I started reading Hindu texts instead of snippets and quotes from them, everything came together. Sorry for the drama Ben, but it was like the TRUTH exploded in my being. Coming from a Judeo-Christian culture here in the west or perhaps for other reasons, I hesitate using the word God now. Brahman, The Divine, Supreme Being, etc.. For me personally, God is confining to previous belief and confines the Divine.
    Ben, this Forum has truly been a huge plus in my journey. If you will, search around on it and think you will find much. Secondly, post questions, and although each of us have our own styles of responses, do not think you will receive anything but sincere feedback from the portions of the Divine who are so very knowledgeable.
    Take care,
    FFTW

Welcome Ben !!!

So many tough questions to answer !!!! As EM said it will take a lot.

That you now believe that there is some Supreme Being - may be you can say what made you start this belief.

May be you can briefly say about your idea of Supreme Being.

In Hinduism we have right from atheist on one side to Duality (Us and God) or (God in Us or all) to Non Duality (US or all in God) at other end.

It depends where one feels comfortable in this path.

Enjoy the forum.

Love and best wishes

Namaste all.

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here, just for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Abrahamic religions answer this one way. Islam says, Allah all of a sudden decided to test us. The test is whether one can believe in Allah. Muslims obviously believe this.
    Pretty much spot on, with the addition that the Abrahamic god created the world to show his glory and power. It was a bit of showing off. Then he tested us. C'mon now, you're going to get the ruler across the knuckles from Sister Mary Discipline.

Hinduism answers the question of creation in multiple ways. According to Advaita, Brahman (Hindu God) is pure bliss - that is, Brahman can have no wishes or desire to test us souls, etc.
    This is a pretty interesting idea from Adi Shankaracharya. I think it shows unequivocally the consistent nature of God:

Now the question arises as to why the Ishvara created the world. If one assumes that Ishvara creates the world for any incentive, this slanders the wholeness and perfection of Ishvara. For example, if one assumes that Ishvara creates the world for gaining something, it would be against His perfection. If we assume that He creates for compassion, it would be illogical, because the emotion of compassion cannot arise in a blank and void world in the beginning (when only Ishvara existed). So Adi Shankara assumes that Creation is recreation or play of Ishvara. It is His nature, just as it is man's nature to breathe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita...a#.C4.AAshvara
    You believe in a God and I hope you also believe in a soul. Now the question is, does God create souls?
    "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be..." - Bhagavad Gītā , 2.12

Just saying.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote:
    You believe in a God and I hope you also believe in a soul. Now the question is, does God create souls?
    "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be..." - Bhagavad Gītā , 2.12

Just saying.
    Hence the aptness of also referring to Hinduism by its proper name: Sanatana Dharma. It is eternal and has no end because it never had any beginning. It always just was, is and will be.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    ...So which do you want, personal opinions, or what we think is a consensus answer for all of Hinduism....
    A consensus would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    ...Hinduism answers the question of creation in multiple ways. According to Advaita, Brahman (Hindu God) is pure bliss - that is, Brahman can have no wishes or desire to test us souls, etc. It is completely content in itself. According to this stream of thought, creation never occurred. Everything IS Brahman. The world of diversity that we see is due to our false mental conditioning. Creation is an illusion.
    Are we all God according to Hindu thought?

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk
    ...So, if God is not to be accused of being an unfair judge, the only other option is to have the individual souls themselves be the makers of their own destiny....
    How can we make our own destiny if what I am living is an illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk
    ...Now, to have souls be the makers of their own destiny we need a concept of reincarnation. The world of diversity some rich, some poor, some healthy, some sick arises on account of past karma. As one sows, so does one reap.
    In other words, we get what we deserve in this current incarnation of ourselves?

Thread Information