Thread: Recommendation on Scriptures to start with

Recommendation on Scriptures to start with

I realize this is not an easy question, and will have several possible answers, but as a newcomer to exploring Hinduism, what might be good scriptures to start with? I have the Bhagavad Gita and also Brahman Sutras (well, I think it's that with commentary).
    I more than understand this isn't like Abrahamic religions singular scriptures like the Bible, Koran, etc. I know there are Vedas, but then trying to figure out what all the Vedas encompass I'm not sure. I haven't come across an easy enough reference yet that sums up to my understanding. Then there are writings by individual gurus too, right?
    So, any recommendations on which to start with, why one might be a good one, or also if another equally makes sense, etc. Thank you so much!

Re: Recommendation on Scriptures to start with

Hello shantiseeker (arent we all?)

Yes, a very important question, IMO.

You can find good suggestions on a recent thread here.

I would also suggest a primer on basic Hindu philosophy - something that explains the different darshanas (schools of thought).

The Brahmasutras are a bit advanced although when read in conjunction with the Upanishads many concepts will fall into place.

Good luck.

Thank you! DUH to me, but I tried a search of the forum which yielded nothing, though I did say something along the effects of which scripture to start with, so perhaps had I persisted, I would have found that thread and added a reply to it. If the moderators want to merge my thread into the one you linked, I will understand.
    I will look for the explanation of different darshanas-that's helpful information and definitely the type of feedback I was thinking of-so many thanks.

Addition: I did a quick Kindle search and found a free book A History of Indian Philosophy, V1 which discusses the Vedas, Brahmanas - Upanishads - Buddist - Jaina - Kapila and Patanjala Samkhya. I believe that will get me up and running. I already have a book that discusses the Vedic deities, and I have PDFs galore saved on What is Hinduism from the Himalayan Academy, (also Loving Ganesha), and a whole bunch of others, so I imagine it's time to get started to zero in. Reading this book to get an overview of the philosophy seems to me to be an excellent starting point to get me on a more clear path of understanding. I've already started the journey but I keep veering this way and that way absorbing new data sources to look at, having them all, and not really knowing which to focus on. So wundermonk, I greatly appreciate your suggestion!!
    I already pray, as I figure that can be done now, period, and Ganesha is where much of my primary prayers go to as the remover of obstacles for starting this path, and also for some major other things going on in my life.
    Last edited by shantiseeker; 04 August 2011 at 10:41 AM.

Vannakkam Shantiseeker: I just wanted to mention that one needs to tread a bit carefully when selecting reading. For example, no one here would ever recommend any Hinduism book by one Wendy Doniger.

So it might be good to read some Hindu written book reviews on various books. The ones to avoid are ones written by Christians, as they tend to put a particular 'slant' on things that can lead to misunderstanding.

Aum Namasivaya

@shantiseeker:

This is an introductory book on Hindu philosophy that I have on my shelf that is quite readable.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I can say without heistation there is an ocean of knowledge to consider... where does one start ? What does this ocean look like ? Consider this conversation that occured some years back. It may be of some value:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=ocean

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Shantiseeker: I just wanted to mention that one needs to tread a bit carefully when selecting reading. For example, no one here would ever recommend any Hinduism book by one Wendy Doniger.

So it might be good to read some Hindu written book reviews on various books. The ones to avoid are ones written by Christians, as they tend to put a particular 'slant' on things that can lead to misunderstanding.

Aum Namasivaya
    You can bet I would not look for a Christian authored book! I don't have ill will, but indeed, there would be a slant, because the author would have his/her bias interjected, because of own beliefs. So I would rather read from someone who is Hindu, born, or Western convert even, but not biased with any other religion.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    @shantiseeker:

This is an introductory book on Hindu philosophy that I have on my shelf that is quite readable.
    Thanks. Well, it's not on Kindle or Kobo, but I found it on Nook of all things for free, and I do have the Nook application on my iPad, and an account, but it was a FAIL! The book shows up in the library but refuses to download from there so I can read it. I'll have to e-mail support. At least it wasn't a fail on a paid book. I prefer e-books so I don't lose or misplace, or have books scattered, and I like having all in one place able to go with me everywhere. But an easy read is the way to go for a newcomer.

thank you, thank you! yajvan, very helpful! I hope with prayer and intent, I can have a mini A-ha moment where some of this will start to integrate.

Thread Information