Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encountered new terms

Encountered new terms

I came across the following terms while reading the temple calendar. I tried to look them up, but I really don't know what they mean. Help?

Rahul kalam - an inauspicious time?
    Varjyam - another inauspicious time to begin something?
    Sesha varjyam - ?
    Gulika kalam - ?
    Yama gandam - inauspicious?
    Uttaraphalungi - ?
    Hasta - ?

Actually there are more terms on the calendar at specific times. Some I can find definitions of, some I cannot. Is there a place where these names and times are defined?
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Encountered new terms

Namast,

TBTL, I can fill in a few of those blanks for you - or rather, the Himalayan Academy can! This is taken directly from their Vedic Calendar introductory .pdf, an excellent and well-explained guide:

"The period between sunrise and sunset each day is divided into eight periods. Each period, or kala, lasts approximately one and one-half hours, depending on the total duration of sunlight. Three of the eight kalas are considered most important Rahu Kala, Yama Kala and Gulika Kala known collectively as the trini samayam.
    Rahu Kala is considered malefic for commencing new undertakings.
    Yama is also an interfering current, but is less influential than Rahu. Yama Kala is considered an auspicious time for antyesti (funeral) rites.
    Gulika is the most auspicious time of the day for commencing new activities.
    Each kala occurs at approximately the same time on each particular day of
    the week. Thus, Gulika Kala occurs at approximately 7AM every Friday. If youve ever wondered why Monday mornings are so infamous, note that Rahu Kala is generally between 7:30 and 9AM every Monday."

I don't have guesses for the other two, unfortunately, but I hope the above helps.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Indraneela, and thanks.

Yes, that does help and now I know where to go further. I'm going to check the Himalayan Academy site. I've heard good things about it. Now I remember reading about the day being divided up into those periods or kalas, just didn't know what they were and meant. The dreaded Monday mornings... that I can relate to!

Thanks again.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Rahu Kala is considered malefic for commencing new undertakings.
    This post will show the approach...
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...highlight=rahu

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    I came across the following terms while reading the temple calendar. I tried to look them up, but I really don't know what they mean. Help?

Rahul kalam - an inauspicious time?
    Varjyam - another inauspicious time to begin something?
    Sesha varjyam - ?
    Gulika kalam - ?
    Yama gandam - inauspicious?
    Uttaraphalungi - ?
    Hasta - ?

Actually there are more terms on the calendar at specific times. Some I can find definitions of, some I cannot. Is there a place where these names and times are defined?
    Vannakkam: The last two are names of nakshatras. The complete list of 27 can be found here on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakshatra and elsewhere I'm sure.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste all,

I found this http://himalayanacademy.com/resource...ncha_intro.PDF then bounced to this http://www.mypanchang.com/panchang2011.html

While this isn't easy to memorize, by using both links I can see what the names on the calendar are and what they mean.

Let's see how badly I've mangled this.

For today, Aug. 4 in my location Rahukalam is 14:49 -16:35. So from now until 4:35 pm I am going to go hide somewhere, or keep a very low profile at work.

It looked like this morning was not meant to look too good... Yamagandam: 05:58 -07:44, Gulikai: 09:31 -11:17. And guess what? I had an argument with my boss (fortunately we're friends and I'm still here ).

It seems that Abhijit: 12:39 -13:27 was auspicious, it is Sri Vishnu's time? if so I should have gone somewhere to meditate and pray; Durmuhurtam: 10:41-11:38 was inauspicious; Varjyam: 18:13 -19:42, not good; Amritkalam: 27:09 -28:38 is good? The page says "Past midnight hours greater than 24.00" so I take it that it means 7:09 - 8:38 tomorrow morning? That doesn't overlap with any other period.

Btw, am I to presume that at 10:46 am the Sun passed from Hasta to Chitra stars?

Does it matter when you do your daily puja(s), japa or meditation in relation to these kalas? Or does worship transcend anything the stars and planets have to say? For example, am I OK doing puja on Monday morning at 7:45 before I go to work?

Sorry if I am overthinking this. Understanding this helps to reflect on what happened on a particular day, and to learn how to plan things.

Namaste EM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The last two are names of nakshatras. The complete list of 27 can be found here on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakshatra and elsewhere I'm sure.

Aum Namasivaya
    Ah, thank you for that. You all are helping to build on this. I found them in the http://himalayanacademy.com/resource...ncha_intro.PDF which I downloaded. Unless I miss my guess, there is one for every day, but I think they overlap days though.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Sorry if I am overthinking this. Understanding this helps to reflect on what happened on a particular day, and to learn how to plan things.
    Vannakkam TBTL: Yes, you are overthinking this. There can be some degree of planning, but not extensively. One should not pull their car to the side of the road during Rahu, for example.

Think of the whole thing as ocean waves. Sometimes they are stronger than others, or steadier, or calmer, but overall its just water being water. Trust me, I get this from an excellent source.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam TBTL: Yes, you are overthinking this. There can be some degree of planning, but not extensively. One should not pull there car to the side of the road during Rahu, for example.
    No, I figured that.

But I did go to motor vehicle inspection last Monday morning about 8:15, and I failed because their computer couldn't talk to my computer, which I found out is fine.

Think of the whole thing as ocean waves. Sometimes they are stronger than others, or steadier, or calmer, but overall its just water being water. Trust me, I get this for an excellent source.

Aum Namasivaya
    Moderation in all things, true. This is new to me and a learning experience. When I'm learning something new, my brain is like a sponge and I make the subject "my own". Nauseatingly so.

Btw, I just noticed the temple calendar only lists the inauspicious periods. That's a good way of keeping things simple.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Since many of the questions are being asked in the jyotish folder, one may wish to be aware of the following...

When looking at the calendar for the day, we call this pañcāṅga.
    pañcāṅga means 5-limbed or 5-membered ; a calendar or almanac treating of 5 things:
    • vāra (solar days of the week) ,
    • tithi (lunar days of the month)
    • karaṇa-s ( first and second halves of the lunar day)
    • nakṣatras (asterisms of the moon)
    • yoga-s ( unions)
    We are taught the following...

Knowledge of vāra prolongs life
    Knowledge of tithi ( I prefer tithīśa&#185 brings prosperity
    Knowledge of karaṇa-s leads to success in all endeavors
    Knowledge of nakṣatras removes sins
    Knowledge of yoga-s gives relief from dis-ease

praṇām

words

tithīśa -
    • We know tithi is is the singular name given to one lunar day ( digit). Saying tithayaḥ (plural form), which is used in several places in Parā-trīśikā Vivaraṇa śloka-s is another way of saying 15.
    • We know there are 15 tithi-s in the waxing, and 15 tithi-s in the waning of the moon. Just as some one says 1 dollar, its another way of saying 100 pennies that make up a dollar, tithi is an accepted way of say 15.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information