Thread: Dream interpretation anyone?

Dream interpretation anyone?

Hello

I had a dream and I'm trying to figure what it might mean:

I had a dream where I was sitting in a suburban drive way (I live in the suburbs so this makes sense)facing the rising sun. I felt like I should chant the mantra OM NAMAH SHIVIA soI did once. It was very deep and it reverberated greatly especially the OM part. I started to chant it a second time but I wasnervous someone from my family was coming to me from the garage so I (I stopped because I would be kind of embaressed if they saw me doing that. All though it's not like my family has done anything to make me feel embaressed about Hinduism in real life. Spiritaulity is just a deeply personal thing) stoppedpart way through. Some one from my family came out so we talked.

Rudy

Re: Dream interpretation anyone?

In my mind, this is how I translate your dream:

The expression of your religion is beginning to take on a nature where the inward and the outward are becoming One.

Seeing the natural sunrise and facing the East resonates with you in an almost reflexive response in the form of a chant, which feels natural to you.

You are realizing somewhere in the shadows of your mind (the garage) that the "burbs" do not feel like the safest of harbors for expressing the genuineness of your deepest experience....

This is my interpretation only. Only you know the truth. Hope it helps in some way...
    Last edited by RosemaryOs; 07 August 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Clarification

PS

In terms of wish fulfillment (per Mr. Freud) I'm guessing that you have a wish to express your genuine self more fully.

Pranams and Namaste

Namaste Rudy,

RosemaryOs gives a good interpretation of your dream. I'm by no means an analyser of dreams myself, but I perhaps there is some worry in the back of your mind about being more openly Hindu in front of your family, friends and neighbours? It might also be a significant point if you identified who it was from your family that you talked to (a father, mother, younger sibling, etc.). It's very good sign, spiritually, that you were able to hear the Shiva mantra deep inside your dreams.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste Rudy,

In my experience, and only my experience, dreams are a manifestation of what's uppermost in your mind. I concur with RosemaryOs. Your burgeoning spirituality is rising to the top of your thoughts, waking and dreaming. Embrace it.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hi

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking that maybe the sun symbolized a rebirth and I do think that I have a hard time stating religious things if I believe in them personaly (I'm not a very confident person). On an other note lately I I've been falling back and foreth between crying and praying for love of Shiva and a gray agnosticism about if a God exist. So what I'm saying is I hope this will be a rebirth or a growing of my spirituality so it will fill my being.

It sounds to me as if you are at a personal crossroads and I wouldn't want to make any untrue impressions upon you...

But, in rethinking your dream over today I felt that you are feeling a great desire to be worshipful but that something is holding you back.

Of course, the rising sun is always symbolic of a new beginning and I would never argue down your own interpretation.

Still, the fact that when you saw the rising sun you felt an intense worship is indicative of something rising in you.

The truth is always within--as I understand it....

Sometimes it helps to talk it out.....

Vannakkam Rudy: In my personal version of SD, we just let dreams go ... like thoughts in meditation. I trust God is working on my mind from the effort of sadhana, so its just a process, and can be a distraction. But that's just one take. Not necessarily one that will fit you.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast,

Rudy, the reason that dream interpretation for individual folks is so hard is because we all have our own personal vocabulary of symbols and ideas. One person who loves sunny weather, and then dreams about a storm, might see a very bad omen, a sign of sadness or loss. I have always loved storms, and I dream about them sometimes, with delight each time I do. So there is the "generic" interpretation that says "dreaming of rain means _____", and then there is the difference between each person.

Having said that, a few months ago I was dreaming often of my family interfering with my worship in some way - by talking to me, arguing with each other, making noise, or otherwise being distracting or discordant. When the dreams continued, I thought about them, and came to know that "family" for me was associated with feelings of guilt and attachment.

Then I saw that, in waking life, my own guilt and attachment - the feeling that I wasn't doing "enough" in my worship, and the frustration with formal worship and routine - was blocking the spontaneous reverence, wonder, and joy which is the heart of all genuine devotion.

When I came to know that, the dreams stopped.

The driveway is where any journey away from the 'safety' of suburbia begins. The East is the direction of beginnings and the breath of new life; the sunrise begins a new day. The chanting voice within you is a true voice. If your family is agnostic - or of a different faith - the "interruption" from a family member may symbolise the interruption within your own self, each time the thoughts of "gray agnosticism" surface. And if you felt embarrassment, it may have been the consternation you feel in waking life when those "what if?" voices start questioning faith within you.

If nothing else, don't be afraid to take a dream literally, as an instruction. East is Air. Sun is Fire. Light a lamp and some incense, and chant the mantra.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

I know that I'm the one with best chance of figuring out the dream, but I just like to get others opinions, it's just how I work (I also just find dreams interesting).

Sweet Dreams

Thread Information