Thread: Importance of correct Birth Time

Importance of correct Birth Time

Namaste All,

Just for the information of those who pose personal questions on this forum..

Pls note horoscope is prepared on the basis of 3 things
    Date of Birth, Place of Birth and Time of Birth.

If the time of birth is not correct, the whole prediction will be wrong.
    When there is doubt, one may get birth time rectification done.

Pranam

Ekoham
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

Re: Importance of correct Birth Time

If birth time is within 20 minutes of the actual time, is that close enough, or does it skew the horoscope?

For example, I believe I remember my mother saying I was born at 10 after 10 (am), but I could have misheard and it was actually 10 to 10 (am). Of course I know the date and location. Though my gut tells me it was 10:10.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    If birth time is within 20 minutes of the actual time, is that close enough, or does it skew the horoscope?

For example, I believe I remember my mother saying I was born at 10 after 10 (am), but I could have misheard and it was actually 10 to 10 (am). Of course I know the date and location. Though my gut tells me it was 10:10.
    Vannakkam: That would depend on how close you are to the switchover point in nakshatras. So the answer is probably not, but could be. The time in most panchangs I have seen is done to the nearest minute, not second.

I've also observed that some panchangs vary from each other a bit. One way to check it out is to go to several 'nakshatra calculator' sites on line and put in the data. Then do it plus or minus say 15 minutes each way. If you still get the same answer, then there is no problem.

In calculating my family, only one child had this problem. Different calculators gave different answers, but never off by more than one. There are other things to consider such as whether or not Daylight Savings Time was in effect when you were born.

Best wishes with it, and then remaining affectionately detached no matter the outcome.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM...

I didn't think about the switchover, but you may be right that sometimes it's not a big deal. I used both birth times on the same site, and the results were virtually identical. For the most part the results were spot on about me. I will try a few more. Thanks.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Being off on a birth time is something to consider.

You see, as you review higher divisional charts ( 1/9th, 1/20th, 1/60th, etc) the movement of the graha's to the proper houses in the divisional charts ( some call harmonic charts) are predicated upon an accurate birth time. If I look to the 1/60th chart we're looking at 1/60th of 30º of a house or 1/2º influence.

The birth time can affect which pada a graha resides within a nakṣatra. It does not have to change to a different nakṣatra, just to another pada. There are 4 pada per nakṣatram each pada = 3º20'.

We can correct the birth time by a vighāti rule. Certain graha's indicate a male or female birth. If we run this ~test~ and get a female birth for a male native we know the birth time is incorrect. The optics or resolution for vighāta¹ is set at 24 seconds of a minute:
    • 60 ghatika [written as ghati] in one day = 24 hrs.
    • 1/60th of the day is 24 min.
    • 1/60th of a ghati = vighāti = 24 seconds ( or 1/60 X 24 min)
    My chart was corrected by 30 seconds. This influenced the timings of various daśā periods and I found them to be accurate.

praṇām

words

vighāta is 'breaking off or in pieces' and it applies to jyotiṣ. As the small piece we are looking at is 24 seconds; vighāta also means removal , prohibition , prevention , interruption , impediment , obstacle , yet this is not appropos for this application commented on.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Agree with Yajvan here, it generally matters when we drill down to details in other charts, when we have a ambiguous time. In any case i had got into astrology for ~1month or so, never came across this Vighati rule. I generally take events and kind of back track the time. But if it is simple the way it sounds,would like to hear from you in detail as to what this principle is

Isvara sankalpam.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by phani_genin View Post
    Agree In any case i had got into astrology for ~1month or so, never came across this Vighati rule.
    With no dis-respect, It was after studying jyotish for 25 years, I then was introduced to vighāta. The fundamentals (knowledge) must be in place for this to bloom properly.

praṇām

1. vighāta is 'breaking off or in pieces' and it applies to jyotiṣ. As the small piece we are looking at is 24 seconds; vighāta also means removal , prohibition , prevention , interruption , impediment , obstacle , yet this is not appropos for this application commented on.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hello Yajvan ji,

so your experience = my age nice to talk to some very senior people like you. For me, i learnt jyotish only as a helpful means for me to find out answers to obstacles that i at times run into when i am looking at a spiritual path. Barring that, i dont like to delve deep into anyone's chart or do readings for commercial purpose.So jyotish is all a learning experience for me.

Coming to the vighati rule, i do know of planets assigned to male-female birth.But i believe this rule will ascribe male-female to vighatis also ? and then start correcting by shifting in steps of 24 sec ?

thanks,
    phani

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by phani_genin View Post
    Hello Yajvan ji,

i do know of planets assigned to male-female birth.But i believe this rule will ascribe male-female to vighatis also ? and then start correcting by shifting in steps of 24 sec ?
    Male, female and neuter. Yes, each graha has a particular gender. Yet too the timing of one's birth can be ~thrown off~ by the technique used for considering sun rise.
    Jyotiṣa Varāha-mihira ācārya says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. Why would one care?

The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these vargas ( or divisional charts).

Others consider birth when the child has emerged completely from mother. Others consider birth when the child is no longer attached to mother and the umbilical cord is cut.

These are finer points that is not often taught.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information