Thread: hindu newbie...

hindu newbie...

hello all!

I've been reading some posts in this forum about scriptures to start with and ways to meditate, etc...

I have some basic (and probably stupid) questions still.

There is a Hindu temple in my town, but I've been reluctant to go because the whole experience seems intimidating to me.

I grew up Catholic and am now planning on converting to Hinduism, but I feel totally lost without a friend or teacher to tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

Can I just go to temple and not chant in Sanskrit (as I grew up in Kansas and FAR from anyone who speaks it)? can I just go and meditate? Do I need to find a Guru? If so, how do I find one? Are there certain rituals (as in for us Catholics, genuflecting before we enter a pew) that I should be mindful of at temple?

I'm so envious of those of you who grew up with this heritage already built in to your families.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: hindu newbie...

Quote Originally Posted by heather.s View Post
    hello all!

I've been reading some posts in this forum about scriptures to start with and ways to meditate, etc...

I have some basic (and probably stupid) questions still.

There is a Hindu temple in my town, but I've been reluctant to go because the whole experience seems intimidating to me.

I grew up Catholic and am now planning on converting to Hinduism, but I feel totally lost without a friend or teacher to tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

Can I just go to temple and not chant in Sanskrit (as I grew up in Kansas and FAR from anyone who speaks it)? can I just go and meditate? Do I need to find a Guru? If so, how do I find one? Are there certain rituals (as in for us Catholics, genuflecting before we enter a pew) that I should be mindful of at temple?

I'm so envious of those of you who grew up with this heritage already built in to your families.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Vannakkam. The average devotee at a temple is a witness, and doesn't say anything, just watches. It might depend on the temple though. Some versions do have group bhajan singing, or a group chant at the final aarti. I've never been one in St. Louis. I think we have a thread around here somewhere for newcomers to temples. Maybe the temple will host you also if you contact them.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Perhaps you could call before you go. Sometimes when I visit a mandir out of town, I'll call not only for the hours that it is open and for directions, but to get a feel for the place and to ask for any special instructions. For instance, some like you to bring fruits only as an offering - no flowers. Some ask that you not bring an offering at all, etc. You could also mention if you're comfortable doing so that you're new to Sanatana Dharma and ask for assitance. Don't be concerned - you will find a warm reception.

All the best to you in your venture.

For what it's worth, I don't know any Sanskrit, and I don't know that many non-priests who do either. My dad picked it up about fifteen years ago. But honestly I'm not even sure this is necessary to recite mantras at home.

Dear Heather,

There a lots of friends in this forums who are examples to follow. Their advice should be the "best practices" as we call in our industrial terms.

However for the way you feel - chanting, meditating, learning, etc. you may also try out the different Hindu Organisations available around you. One prominent one is

Vedanta Society of Kansas City
    8701 Ward Parkway
    Kansas City, MO 64114
    USA
    Phone: 816-444-8045

Love and best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't know any Sanskrit, and I don't know that many non-priests who do either. My dad picked it up about fifteen years ago. But honestly I'm not even sure this is necessary to recite mantras at home.
    I would say that's an excellent point! I'm also studying Hinduism and drawn to it, a newbie from the west as well. I say mantras and read the English translation so understand in general (as best as I can, that is) what I'm saying when I recite the mantra, but oh gosh, in no way would I describe myself in truly having a CLUE about sanskrit. But I feel blessed and fulfilled as I say them.

Vannakkam: Sanskrit, when done properly, is like music with no words. You can just feel it. I can just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBUiOlrTMU and feel it. I don't have any understanding of what the meanings are, but the sound is just so mystical, and draws you inward. I'm sure a bonus would be to understand it, but for me the sound is sufficient as the whole point is to be drawn inward. Blessed are those that can hear it.

Aum Namasivaya

thanks for the advice! i just feel like if i get involved in a chant i'll be the one in the back like, "Blar, blar, blar, watermelon" while everyone else is speaking sanskrit. haha
    "I'm alright, right now."

Quote Originally Posted by heather.s View Post
    thanks for the advice! i just feel like if i get involved in a chant i'll be the one in the back like, "Blar, blar, blar, watermelon" while everyone else is speaking sanskrit. haha
    Hehe!

This made me LOL - I have experienced this the first time I attended one of Srila Prabhupada's temples.
    He is relishing the mellows of pure devotion within his mind,
    sometimes his hair stands on end, he feels quivering in his body,
    and tears flow from his eyes like waves.
    I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
    :cool1:

Thread Information