Hello All:

I am trying to understand the relationship between ontological entities - Brahman, Prakriti and Jivas from a Dvaita perspective.

If I understand correctly, Brahman, Prakriti and Jivas are real and distinct from each other, per Dvaita. All these three entities have been existing since eternity. Madhavacharya and subsequent Dvaita commentators expended lot of energy to quell a natural question that would arise on positing the eternality of Brahman and Prakriti/souls. Wouldnt these different entities be "independent" of one other in constant "opposition" to each other? Dvaita commentators answered back by stating that Brahman alone is "independent". Prakriti/Jivas are eternal but "dependent" on Brahman's will. Thus, for instance, even though Prakriti is the material cause, it is only a "dependent" entity. It "depends" on Brahman. So, Brahman is the actual material cause of the world, in an implied sense.

I would like to understand this explanation in further depth. Could some analogies be provided to explain the concept of dependent/independent eternality?

Thanks.