Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purging myself of Abrahamism

Re: Purging myself of Abrahamism

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I realised another thing in this 'purging' or remolding process is removal of reminders. For sentimental reasons we may hold on to objects such as old bibles, pictures, candles, and such. They are reminders of who we were. I think its helpful to get rid of them. Any church will accept a bible, and you can donate stuff to second hand stores. For cheap stuff, you can just toss it. The house should be filled to the brim with Hindu imagery, not just in the shrine room. (I've seen shrine rooms hidden away from public view in tiny corners of shelves. They should be apart from the rest of the house for purification reasons, but not hidden out of embarrassment.)

The fact that you're in a Hindu home should be obvious to all who enter.

Aum Namasivaya
    Good point-but then what of households where one member is following Hinduism, but another isn't? Kind of like even in the US, a mixed Jewish-Christian marriage where kids are raised Jewish if the mother is, but since the dad isn't, a Christmas tree is also put up-both traditions being celebrated. (I know I'm giving an example of two Abrahamistic religions, but their practices are quite different, even if they are related). So the Jewish wife may not adore having a Christian cross in the house or a New Testament, but if that's the husband's tradition, that stuff remains there. But it could just as easily be an American man who decides to start following SD, and you have the wife who maybe isn't a hugely active Roman Catholic, but it's still embedded enough that she wants the Crucifixes on the wall still, or a statue of the Virgin Mary in the yard. That man will still have all of that in his home too-unless he wants a huge fight with his wife. (this is just a possible example as Catholics often have these icons readily visible-this isn't anyone I know). My purging need is mostly something that is due to my own mind and automatic thoughts being the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by shantiseeker View Post
    Good point-but then what of households where one member is following Hinduism, but another isn't? Kind of like even in the US, a mixed Jewish-Christian marriage where kids are raised Jewish if the mother is, but since the dad isn't, a Christmas tree is also put up-both traditions being celebrated. (I know I'm giving an example of two Abrahamistic religions, but their practices are quite different, even if they are related). So the Jewish wife may not adore having a Christian cross in the house or a New Testament, but if that's the husband's tradition, that stuff remains there. But it could just as easily be an American man who decides to start following SD, and you have the wife who maybe isn't a hugely active Roman Catholic, but it's still embedded enough that she wants the Crucifixes on the wall still, or a statue of the Virgin Mary in the yard. That man will still have all of that in his home too-unless he wants a huge fight with his wife. (this is just a possible example as Catholics often have these icons readily visible-this isn't anyone I know). My purging need is mostly something that is due to my own mind and automatic thoughts being the reminder.
    Vannakkam Shanti: Indeed mixed religious households are an exception. I'm influenced by my own situation where my wife and I went into Hinduism together. In my experience though, its (mixed marriages) usually not the best idea, especially when one or both are really dedicated. It can work if both are very tolerant, or liberal in approach. Problems often arise as children appear. But alas, I am digressing from the topic.

Wisdom also tells me that it may not be good for marriage if one spouse only wants to convert. Often a divorce is the result. The one not converting can put up the utlimatum: "Its me or the religion." As Hindus, we're certainly mot in the business of breaking up marriages.

You are correct, it is mostly in the mind.

Aum Namasivaya

EM:
    Good points. Mixed marriages vary in terms of tolerance levels for both partners. As I do my path, should I arrive at a point that I can say I am now "Hindu", it will be just me, but I have a quite open-minded spouse who believes in belief and whatever is right for me. My spouse is even going to help me set up a shrine. And who knows-I never say never. But in my case it's not a mixed marriage as no religion has really been followed for years-just free minded dialogue and global concern for all living things. Most of my church going days pre-dated my marriage. My spouse is a seeker also.

Namaste,

Someone linked this onto HDF before in the past, although I can't remember who it was. Might be of use to westerners or non-born Hindus who are still having trouble letting go of some of their old ways of seeing things: http://veda.wikidot.com/vedic-and-abrahamic-thought. If nothing else, it serves as a nice summary of the differences that set Sanatana Dharma and Abrahamism quite distinctly apart.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam Sunyata: Yes, that is an awesome link. I think it should be required reading for the searchers who frequent us. Its just the right length. Thanks for relinking it.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Sunyata,

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste,

Someone linked this onto HDF before in the past, although I can't remember who it was. Might be of use to westerners or non-born Hindus who are still having trouble letting go of some of their old ways of seeing things: http://veda.wikidot.com/vedic-and-abrahamic-thought. If nothing else, it serves as a nice summary of the differences that set Sanatana Dharma and Abrahamism quite distinctly apart.

Om namah Shivaya
    Thanks for re-posting that link. I also remember running across it a while back. It is a truly invaluable resource to show the differences between the Dharmic and Abrahamic worldviews.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste

Sometimes it helps to read the stories of others who have or are still struggling to purge themselves of Abrahamism. I don't have a ready resource for former Jews or Muslims but there is an excellent site for former Christians where they share (often with great eloquence) their struggles past and present: http://www.exchristian.net

Aum Shanti
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

I'll have to take a look at the ex-Christian site. Thanks for the link!
    I may still have my struggles, but I am at much more peace. I just dealt with finding a new job, when I put it up to the Lord, seeking Ganesha's help, just offering myself up to the right one, it was answered, and I am confident and happy that the Divine did that. Had this been before I was moving toward SD, I wouldn't quite have seen this from such a spiritual point of view. My soon to be new job is quite clearly where I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R Gitananda View Post
    Namaste

Sometimes it helps to read the stories of others who have or are still struggling to purge themselves of Abrahamism. I don't have a ready resource for former Jews or Muslims but there is an excellent site for former Christians where they share (often with great eloquence) their struggles past and present: http://www.exchristian.net

Aum Shanti
    Vannakkam Gitananda: I took a fairly quick look at that site. They have done a remarkable job with graphics, looks etc. I really like the disclaimer section. All the words like 'trolls' were explained incredibly well. The peoples' stories were well written and right to the point. But it was incredibly huge. My heart goes out to all the pained embodied jivas and I pray for their healing.

Some of those testimonials should be required reading for would be missionaries trying to convert others to that.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I think another thing to keep in mind is that the way the Bible or Koran
    are presented often allows it to bury itself deep in the subconscious.
    Just seeing them presented in a different light may be helpful.

The Bible: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com

The Quran: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/index.htm

Book of Mormon: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/BOM/index.htm

Aum Shanti
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Thread Information