Thread: How to give

How to give

Namaste all,
    A recent post reminded me of challenge that some of us may face. We want to give to a charity or to a cause or to something that benefits all beings, etc. For some of us, due to logistics, perhaps some of our giving can actually aid things or causes that are actually adharmic.
    What are some things that you can suggest where one can give of themselves while not contributing to harm (i.e. causes sponsored either directly or indirectly by those that cause harm).
    It would be cool to see many ideas generated. With this in mind, my family has only came up with a few things- animal shelter, events that are for good cause, serving meals at secularly led events, etc.. Not so many.
    With these ideas, respectfully ask that no need to describe why some charities are adharmic, etc. Only going to take us down other road where not desired. What are some ideas to add to list?
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    FFTW.

Re: How to give

Here are some of my suggestions: (to anyone else also reading,bearing in mind I'm in the US)

Donation to emergency funds for persons facing eviction/electricity or other utilities being shut off/other similar needs

Donations of non-animal products food to a food cupboard/pantry

Volunteering time to provide yard work and/or other maintenance at a temple

Visiting senior citizens in nursing care facilities

Please accept my humble obeisance,
    All glories to Srila Prabhupad,
    All glories to sri Guru and Gauranga
    Hare Krishna ,Prabhu/Maharaj
    Our aim is to stop cow slaughter. By the mercy of guru and Krishna we have devised an excellent project named SAVE A COW SAVE THE WORLD to achieve our aim .According to our plan we get man power from the village .We get man power by developing a village by distributing cows to the villagers under terms and conditions made by the ashram .Our target is to distribute a thousand cows in a village ,so that we can prove the benefits of cow protection to the public in a large way .We now have more than a couple hundreds of trained beneficiaries to receive cows from our GOKUL ASHRAM , under our terms and conditions .
    To achieve the goal we have decided to distribute cows to the 108 selected beneficiaries in this village .For the distribution of each cow ,the cost comes to Rs 40,000/- .We are looking for sponsors globally.
    Our Ashram is well facilitated with an infrastructure to keep 100 cows, so that the beneficiary can exchange the dry cow with a milch cow whenever it seems necessary. Now we are looking forward for funds to buy cows for distribution
    We have tentatively fixed to distribute the cows on the beginning of January 2012. So we humbly request all of you to be a part of this wonderful noble program, which saves the world.
    We kindly request you to read the following and understand how your money is utilized .The money invested or donated to Gorakshyam Trust is used
    STAGE 1
    1) To buy milch cows
    2) To buy cattle feeds, for cultivating fodder, and for the maintenance of the Go-sala.
    3) To buy more lands for fodder cultivation.
    STAGE 2
    1) The Trust will distribute milch cows to the villagers under terms and condition
    2) The villagers enjoy the milk and make use of the cow dung and urine as natural organic manure for their agriculture purposes.
    3) The villagers exchange the cow with a milch cow when the cow goes out of lactation period.
    4) A high price is offered to the beneficiaries for the milk
    STAGE 3
    1) The milk will be sold in the city with the label of the ashram printed in the pouches .The Ashram will charge a nominal fee per liter for the marketing of the milk .
    2) All the bulls in the go-sala will be utilized to run an ox-power generator to produce electricity . The electricity will be sold and the income will be used to maintain the old ,and diseased cows and bulls till the end of their life .And to build apartments(Prabhupad Nager) for those who dedicate their lives to protect cows .
    3) The cow dung from the ashram go-sala will be used to make gobar gas and will be distributed for 200 house s
    4) Battery charging stations will be constructed ,so that electric vehicles can be promoted .
    5) The increasing cows and the profit from the first project will be used to implement the same in the next village .
    By utilizing your money in such a highly well planned way , each and every farmer in the village is supported satisfactorily, and very much inspired ,and the soil is enriched .So there will be healthy farm products and wealthy farmers .And there will be no more villagers migrating to the city in search of jobs .As we all know that the farmers are the back bone of a country . So when they are protected almost everything becomes smooth . Thus peace and prosperity is established .Thus The Almighty blesses the investors and donors .Therefore the investors become very fortunate.

SO PLEASE COME FORWARD WITH YOUR BROAD MIND TO BE A PART OF THIS NOBLE PROGRAM
    Please visit our site www.gorakshyamtrust.org
    Expecting a favourable reply from you at the earliest .
    In the service of Krishna,
    An insignificant beggar,
    Vibhooshan krishnadas.

Namaste,
    Greetings to all,
    I told an acquantance today of question. He threw one at me I was not expecting nor do have knowledge to digest his suggestion. He said how to give is to make as much money as can so as to both help family and friends and to give to the poor. His response was to increase monetary wealth and give more in finances.
    The question was posed to be light and to generate some ideas. Do not want throw off my own topic but from more learned than myself, what do you think of this suggestion if do not mind?
    Thanks.
    FFTW

Namaste FFW,

What I think is this :

1. Please look around yourself. There may be poor people struggling to rise from their low status in the society. Help them, if you can. Let's remember that giving charity to a person asking for alms may encourage people to become idle & more and more dependent .... so I don't believe in such charities. However, again it can't be made a rule if a person's life is in danger if you don't help. Keep your mind open. There are no fixed rules. Please judge objectively what help would really help the struggling man and act accordingly.

If you are unable to find such people around ... go to the regions/countries where such requirements are there. Please remember Lord Krishna's words : Keep in mind the eligibility of the person receiving help, the time and the place while taking a decision on what to give, how much to give and when not to interfere at all.

2. Teach or help people who need help in getting educated.

3. Spread the light of Spiritual Knowledge that you have gained ... help those who need help and ask for it.

4. Whatever we earn doesn't everything belongs to us. A very small part is for my body/mind, a part of it is for the family, a part of it is for the society and the nation, a part is for animals/birds and other beings, a part is for the Saints and Monks ... and we must give everyone their part of the income as & when the time comes to give.

5. Many people don't need any material thing from us. They need our caring words and love ... give it freely to each and everyone. There are innumerable people on this earth who are beggars of love ... but there are very few who are givers of love.

Most important thing : The more you give, the more humble you must become. Why ? You cannot give anything of your own. Nothing belongs to you. It is only God's grace which gives you the capability and the opportunity to serve anyone in need. Thank God every time when you are able to help anyone.

Rahim said, "Jyon-jyon kar upar karaun tyon tyon neecho nain" ===> The higher my hand goes to give, the lower my eyes go (on feeling indebted to God's grace which gave me the capability and the opportunity to serve and earn worldly name when I am giving only what I get from Him)

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee
    1. Please look around yourself. There may be poor people struggling to rise from their low status in the society. Help them, if you can.
    In my view, India/other relatively "poor"er countries provide slightly more opportunities for the "fortunate" ones amongst us to help those who are not. In India, in many uneducated/poorer sections of society, a girl child is looked upon not very favourably. We have a maid who recounts painful stories of how her in-laws forced her to have kids until she gave birth to a male child. She has two daughters and a son. The eldest daughter is in school. We provide for her schooling fee for a year and plan to continue this as long as the girl remains in school.

Vannakkam: Another thing that can be given is blood. The Red Cross and others have blood banks. I heard an ad on the radio this morning that the Canadian Blood Bank needs another 9000 donors nationally before September 1.

I am really with Devotee regarding due consideration before giving. Its best if you can come to know of a person or family personally, and give to them. Here we just had a new priest family arrive from Sri Lanka, and come winter time, some winter clothing will come in handy, I'm sure.

In order to be giving of time, one might consider early retirement of a year or more, yet continue to hold the mindset of 'working' in terms of your time. That is certainly how I was able to give more time. I still 'work' six hours a day. Of course the other option, as has been already mentioned, is to work more in order to give more money.

The other thing for giving is to personally give up stuff. This is like this concept of money flow: its not how much you make, its how much you spend. So the personal sacrifices, especially here in the west, of not going out for meals or entertainment, buying a less expensive car, and more, means you can give more. My wife and I practice a very simple lifestyle at home (Our one luxury seems to be pilgrimage.) just to have the extra for giving.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 19 August 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Namaste FFTW,

An important question. I heartily agree with Devotee and EM on knowing who you're giving to, and when. Having good intentions in your heart to alleviate the suffering of others is a wonderful, beautiful thing, but it must be tempered with the practical knowledge of knowing who really benefits in a situation. Are you really doing good, or are you unconsciously feeding a deeper negative cycle (e.g. giving money to the beggar on the street so he can continue pay for his drug/alcohol addiction)?

This act of giving - "dana" - is considered to be one of the ten niyamas (observances) essential to cultivating one's conduct. It asks one to be generous to a fault, and doesn't require praise or recognition for doing good works. Doing a good deed is it's own reward.

I don't think this giving necessarily entails giving actual money. It's the thing people usually think of first when they hear the words "giving" and "charity", but IMO, it's the laziest way of dana. Or at least, the one that involves the least amount of effort on one's part. Most of the donations I might give to charity from time to time involve donating warm clothes, shoes, socks, bedsheets, books, etc. I've heard some of these charity organisations that collect unwanted clothing can be a bit shady, so it's worth checking out first if the items will go on to provide relief to the needy, and not just up in some garage sale to better the organisers themselves.

Devotee, you're spot-on in your points. Giving doesn't stop at your wallet. Your time, energy and love may be worth even more than what little money most people can spare to others.

5. Many people don't need any material thing from us. They need our caring words and love ... give it freely to each and everyone. There are innumerable people on this earth who are beggars of love ... but there are very few who are givers of love.
    Beautiful thought. Have you ever realised how much brighter your day suddenly seems when someone you can trust has given you even just a few minutes of their time to talk with you, smile and laugh with you and make you feel cherished? If everyone could show this kind of sefless giving love to at least just one other person everyday... how happier this world might be.

One great way of giving your time to others is helping out with an organisation that sets up a helpline to deal with troubled individuals who feel like they've no one else to turn to. A non-judgemental and ready ear is a real balm to a person who is consumed with depression, sorrow or anger. I started volunteering at one at the start of the year, and it was really tough to go through initially. The stories I had to hear would make anyone feel disheartened. It takes a lot of psychological stamina yourself to deal with these organisations, but it does get easier with practice. It also makes you appreciate the importance of having a shoulder to cry on when the world seems at its ugliest and darkest.

EM, interesting idea on blood donation. I think it's one of the forgotten avenues of giving (probably because so many people fear needles! lol), which is a pity because it has an actual impact on saving a life. I've given a it before once, but since I lost a few pounds since college, I'm apparently underweight for eligibility. Sad thing is, I know a lot of other people who have plenty blood and weight, but refuse to entertain the idea because of being pricked with a needle. Luckily they only need about 3,000 donations a week over this side of the water, so it's not an unreachable target. 9,000 on the other hand... that's a lot of blood.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam: Yes, we can give daily in simple ways.

.. holding a door open for the next person in line
    .. driving courteously and letting people in
    .. smiling or chatting it up with tellers at stores
    .. carrying someone's stuff for them
    .. pushing elevator buttons
    .. never littering
    .. being polite on the phone
    .. saying 'please' and 'thank you'

These things are all around us.

How do you want to feel after each encounter with another embodied jiva?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Thank you all for giving. You have at least made a difference to one portion of the Supreme, by your giving. These responses that in ways are thought provoking are more than expected.
    Peace.
    FFTW.

Thread Information