I love to read Purana
    and i not feel they are blame each other
    i think that is the way of Purana to teach us

even so many about higest and lowest

i still not confused

i still know there is no Higest and lowest

i only know that is teachings of our consciousness
    there is teachings that i can use in my life
    not about which God is must throw and which God i must blame and which God i must receive

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Purpose of Puranas and need for repackaging

A few points :

1. Are the number of people (%) getting more and more aware of the puranas ?

2. How can we spread the morals or the knowledge embedded in the puranas ? May be movies (not only ramayan), serials, games, etc which can be used by today's generation.

3. Young minds are best to create lasting impression faster. As they grow up, they become mature and outgrow the games, comics, etc. How to bring higher values & knowledge, which are embedded in puranas (and higher scriptures) through the media they frequently visit ?

The awareness and orientations are required for general mass. However the spiritually oriented minds will anyway veer toward the knowledge.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post

2. How can we spread the morals or the knowledge embedded in the puranas
    3. Young minds are best to create lasting impression faster. As they grow up, they become mature and outgrow the games, comics, etc. How to bring higher values & knowledge, which are embedded in puranas (and higher scriptures) through the media they frequently visit ?

The awareness and orientations are required for general mass. However the spiritually oriented minds will anyway veer toward the knowledge.
    Vannakkam Kallol: Himalayan Academy and other Hindu religious institutions have recognised this need. HA just published 2 children's books of modern stories that support the yamas and niyamas, called Hindu Children's Modern Stories Here's a link to their publications site:

http://minimela.com/

I have both books, and from a former teacher's perspective, the stories are intriguing and interesting enough to demonstrate these moral values. They would fit into any elementary or middle school library.

Aum Namasivaya

I love Puranas, because there is amazing and beautiful way to teach us... very wonderful...

Why ?

there is so many story, then some people will said : "This is cruel, what is this ? look like a legend or myth."

Some people will get many Divine knowledge from there
    Some people will get the nectar of teachings from the story
    Some people with high wisdom will understand each story and get enlightenment to observe and control their conscioussness, then know the nature of self and no any observe and no any control anymore

some peoples will said that is false scripture , fool and idiot

some peoples will face many problem and many questions

some peoples will have reason to debate or fight after read this

this is world

Purana is universe, when we see universe, different peoples will have different understanding , and different opinion about whatever happened in this universe

i love Purana that is amazing, there is great power behind Purana , there is Mahamaya, there is Mahavidya

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Evils of Kaliyuga in Bagavata Purana.

I give below a portion from the english rendering of Srimad Bagavatam by Swami Krishnadas Achutha describing "Evils of Kali":

XII CHAPTER 2 - Evils of Kaliyuga

"Suka continued: Thenceforward, day after day, by the force of Kala (Time), righteousness, truthfulness, purity of body and mind, forgiveness, compassion, length of lifeand bodily strength and keenness of memory will decline.

In Kaliyuga, wealth will be the criterian of pedigree, morality and merit. Those who are mighty, will be called righteous and fair. Personal liking will determine the choice of a partner in life. Trickery will be the motive force in business and dealings. Ability to give sexual pleasure will be the criterion of masculine and feminine excellence. External marks will be the means of knowing a brahmana and a sanyasin. Justice will be vitiated, because of one's inability to gratify those who administer it. Voluble speech will be criterion of scholarship. Toilet will be regarded as a sign of bath. Distant tank will be considered holy resort for bath; long hair will be regarded as sign of beauty. Filling the belly will be the end of human pursuit. Audacity of speech wil be the criterian of truthfulness. Skill will consist in supporting one's family. Virtuous deeds will, be done, only for fame. The terrestrial globe will be run over by wicked people, and the person who will be more powerful, will become the ruler. People will resort to mountains and forests and eat roots, leaves meat, honey, flowers and seeds.Oppressed by famine and taxation, people will perish through drought, excessive heat amd cold, storms, rain, snowfall and mutual conflict. In Kaliyuga, the maximum expectation of life will be twenty or thirty years. Religion will be replaced by heresy and rulers wil turn out to be thieves. Man will take up the wanton destruction of life and property. Connotation of relationship will extend only to the relatives of one's wife. Clouds will end in flashes of lightning and no rains will pour; dwellings will look desolate for want of hospitality to strangers. When Kaliyuga is about to terminate, the Lord will appear as Kalki in the house of the brahmin called Vishnuyasa, in the village of Sambhala." ......

It goes on further till the end of the Chapter. I request all to read this description of the effects of Kaliyuga written thousands of years ago and find how prophetic the words of Srimad Bhagavatam are.

A word about this book. Srimad Bhagavatam by Swamy Srikrishnadas Achyutha, an English rendering of the epic in easily readable story form is one of the Best translations of the great Book I have come across . This is a publication of TTD, Tirupati, published in 1984. Sri Swamiji has done this as a work of love, and life's mission, to share the spiritual thrill he has derived from the great Purana with the devotees of Bhagavan.

Hari Om,

Brahmanyan,
    Bangalore.
    Last edited by Brahmanyan; 23 November 2011 at 10:38 PM.

purANa-s are amongst the most misunderstood of Hindu scriptures. They are commentaries or explanations of the veda in the form of concretized allegorical/itihAsic narrations. They are not meant for immature minds, but essentially for practising yogis who can understand their tAtparya. Of course, they have many levels of meanings, and barring interpolations they have no unscientific nonsense.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

There are always a positive side and negetive side of anything. However we need to weigh those wrt to the present society and decide.

In Bengal the songs of Rabindranath was held very closely by a one group and it debarred anyone whoever went ahead and sung those with eeven a little variation.

This did not help the songs of rabindranath to get wider audience across age group.

Only now after it has been opened up, the songs are getting repackaging for acceptibility.

Same are with the morals of the stories and the stories themselves. If we limit them to only madrassas (only analogy), then the spread will be poor.

The present schooling of India does not allow these. But then media is also strong. How is it possible to repackage the stories into films, into TV serials, into cartoons, etc.

This is the way it can be reached out to the young minds.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

pranam

ved-vedanta are too difficult for common people to understand so puranas are there to explain the bhagavan sambandha (relationship),bhakti avidheya ( devotional service) and prem praojan ( attaiment of love). The notable point is that ved-vedanta and purans are all works of krishna dwipaiyan byas.

Puranas have a lot of benefits. Of course there are things in there that seem magical - but how do we know that such and such did not happen in that yuga? But even if you remove it of those magical things wouldnt you want young ones to have role models like Ram, Sita, and Harischandra rather than bollywood? Also Puranas teach us path to Moksha, and discuss various things like controlling mind, anger, dealing with personal loss, dharma etc. in easy to understand story format. They also inculcate bhakthi.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think this goes back to a recent discussion about educating Hindus on their own faith, via talks, or sermons, if you will, in temple (providing you get people to temple).

Who better than to take lessons and stories out of any scripture and bring them to life, explaining its meanings, metaphors, and mythologies than someone learned in scripture, i.e. a temple pujari, guru, teacher, guest speaker versed in the particular subject?

Yes, it takes planning to interpret and present a scriptural subject in a way a young person can grasp, and wants to grasp. I'm loathe to bring this up, but I do so only because of experience in the subject... in early grades of Sunday School and religion classes, bible stories were presented in a way that made sense (relatively speaking wrt to the bible) to young minds.

From what I've been gathering from discussions on the site, Hindus don't really do very much to further knowledge of the faith, except "well, that's what my family has always done". The irony (as I see it) is I like reading the stories and relating them to people in an animated and lively way, and everyday speech.

One day my nephew-in-law (a big burly good ol' boy long-haul trucker) sat in rapt attention as I told him the story of Lord Narasimha and Hiranyakashipu. Why was he so captivated? Because at the risk of a rotator cuff injury from patting myself on the back, I made it interesting.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information