Thread: Alan Watts - An unusual perspective

Alan Watts - An unusual perspective

I recently listened to an interesting lecture on Christianity and Hinduism and how different the two views are. I recommend watching all five parts but the last is really superb, and shows how Hinduism could "include" Christianity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeSuf...eature=related
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Re: Alan Watts - An unusual perspective

The board just went through a purging experience when debating Hinduism vs Abrahamic religions. So, I find no need of having this debate all over again.

I will just state that unless Xians believe in the truth of all of the following:

(a)Reincarnation
    (b)Karma
    (c)Vedas
    (d)Brahman
    (e)Prakriti
    (f)Jivas
    (g)no creatio ex-nihilo
    (h)universe has been existing since eternity in cycles
    (i)no eternal hell/heaven
    (j)no Adam/Eve

and seek to "reinterpret" their books in accordance with the concepts, there is no place in Hinduism for Xity. Hinduism is quite complete on its own.

I really hope posts like these dont rear their head time and again on the board. It distracts from the purpose of the board which is to discuss various aspects of Hinduism as it exists today. Soon, the conversation will take an ugly turn leading to more heartburn.

Hinduism has really had a bad experience with Islam/Christianity. Let us not forget this. Trying to accept Xian ideas into Hinduism is akin to inviting to your home the same thieves who ransacked it last year.

I will restrain myself from commenting on this thread any further.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    The board just went through a purging experience when debating Hinduism vs Abrahamic religions. So, I find no need of having this debate all over again.

I will just state that unless Xians believe in the truth of all of the following:

(a)Reincarnation
    (b)Karma
    (c)Vedas
    (d)Brahman
    (e)Prakriti
    (f)Jivas
    (g)no creatio ex-nihilo
    (h)universe has been existing since eternity in cycles
    (i)no eternal hell/heaven
    (j)no Adam/Eve

and seek to "reinterpret" their books in accordance with the concepts, there is no place in Hinduism for Xity. Hinduism is quite complete on its own.

I really hope posts like these dont rear their head time and again on the board. It distracts from the purpose of the board which is to discuss various aspects of Hinduism as it exists today. Soon, the conversation will take an ugly turn leading to more heartburn.

Hinduism has really had a bad experience with Islam/Christianity. Let us not forget this. Trying to accept Xian ideas into Hinduism is akin to inviting to your home the same thieves who ransacked it last year.

I will restrain myself from commenting on this thread any further.
    I can relate with what you are saying, to be sure. But, looking at it a little differently, what could be more beneficial for bolstering Hinduism intellectually than seeing how it differs and contrasts with the most popular belief system in the world?

For those of us living still underneath the spell of Christianity, I think it would be very helpful to analyze things in a complex manner that takes into account the Whole. Abrahamic thought is not restricted to religion alone, per se, but even with regard to how society runs and thinks, and Allan Watt's lecture is a great testimony to just that.

I am a thinker, personally, who sees reality on very coherentist terms. I look to truth in all places, and I think shunning any given perspective on the truth is wrong-headed, especially if the place for it is there (i.e., a sub-forum dedicated to such a pursuit).
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

no jesus garbage

jesus was crackpot

I was collecting some Alan Watts videos for a playlist yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1C8BC93E3E6E5A76

Alan watts is amazing =D
    This video got me thinking and he has a good point.
    The Jews did the right thing to reject the new testement cause the new testement has incarnation's (jesus as god or archangel michel, and john the baptis as Elijar and other reference)

You can clearly see by Reading both old and new testement that the teachings and concepts has changed so much. I always saw Jesus as a buddist type. but the more you read his teachings and teachings in other beliefs before him, you can see that he's more then just a buddist. I can see why some belive that Jesus was the founder of the Gnostics (tho the essences were around way before Jesus was born)

So yea.. That pretty much sums it up. No incarnation, no christanity.  

Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

There is a verse in the bible that says:

"Never again will there be in it
    an infant who lives but a few days,
    or an old man who does not live out his years;
    the one who dies at a hundred
    will be thought a mere child;
    the one who fails to reach a hundred
    will be considered accursed. (Isaiah 65:20 NIV)

This is a future prophecie for the golden age and by Reading this you can see that we will still die.

A 100 year old would still be classed as a child. And if you failed to reach 100, it means you are cursed from a sin that you may of caused.  "or an old man who does not live out his years"
    So insted of death at 60 or what ever, the guy will live his maximin years which would prolly be 5,000 or something. So just by this verse alone, it's logic to think that reincarnation is part of the bible. Be silly if all the "good" people will end up living a good life and dies to never reborn even though it's the golden age.  
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Thread Information