Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with Negative Thoughts

Re: Dealing with Negative Thoughts

Pranam, and Thank you all for the valuable in-put, once again.

Sadly, I fear that this may prove to be quite a more complicated issue than can be so easily resolved in the case of other individuals. I do believe I need to cultivate a pure backbone of God and Soul-Consciousness, that isn't in the least bit hurtful or damaging. That is the Truth.

But, so long as I persist in this "dark" sort of consciousness, I cannot say that the path will be easy. Nevertheless, I will certainly carry on and attempt some of the advice given, all in the course of my growing sadhana.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Vannakkam Kismet: I have a couple of more observations. I think negativity (in the sense mostly of depression especially, but its probably true in other areas) is often more common in really intelligent people. (I sense you are one of those.) The basic problem is that intelligent people think too much, and hence there is less time for relaxation and calmer time.

Another is that I have seen dramatic changes. One has just recently happened very close to home. It was brought on by finding a steady partner. O once reckless roaming crazy lifestyle calmed down quite quickly when the focus became on another individual. In some ways, it was like finding a magic drug, or technique, but quite unintentionally.

Another is just the reminder that everything here is temporal. I know from experience that that one is much harder than it sounds. Some of these high-falutin' philosophies and techniques are quite hard (seemingly impossible) when the jiva is out of practise.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Devoteeji,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Ramkrishna,

When dealing with staff in the office, if there is some gross indiscipline noticed in staff, by you and you want to end it immediately, you can use a controlled anger to get immediate results. Similarly, if there is completely unacceptable behaviour noticed by you by anyone in your family which if not immediately controlled can lead to some ugly scenario ... at that time you can very effectively use the controlled anger to control it immediately. Anger is for getting immediate results .... but it needs a strong backing of unquestionable love and even-headedness from you.

The term used in the verse is Krodha which we also use for anger but here this Krodha is not anger (at least not controlled anger) ... it is actually "kshobha" which is arising out of non-fulfillment of the desires (please mark the earlier verses). See, non-fulfillment of desires doesn't produce anger immediately ... it is Kshobha first which becomes anger.

The anger that I am talking about is not arising due to non-fulfillment of desires. It is due to benevolent reasons.

OM

Thank you for that explanation. That makes sense with their being different types of anger. Especially since in 2.62, Lord Krishna says that anger arises from desire.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Vannakkam: I view anger in degrees. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 would be mild annoyance, and 10 would be uncontrollable rage. What devotee is describing is like a 4 or so. So the term covers a wide gamut. Some people would say that anger is always out of control. I do recall feigning anger for the benefit of discipline both at home and at school. But then its not anger at all. Its just good acting.

Aum Namasivaya

I remember a wise observation from the psychology and philosophy seminar I attended last week, someone observed: How can you chose the middle path when you haven't known the extremes?

yogas cittah vrtti nirodha

Knowing the extremes is part of life and it is from the frustration that arises from ups and downs that one comes to discover true union with God.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I view anger in degrees. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 would be mild annoyance, and 10 would be uncontrollable rage. What devotee is describing is like a 4 or so. So the term covers a wide gamut. Some people would say that anger is always out of control. I do recall feigning anger for the benefit of discipline both at home and at school. But then its not anger at all. Its just good acting.

Aum Namasivaya
    Before taking a dive into self-inquiry and study of Hinduism I passed through the most blissful states and then into the most extreme rage that made my vision vanish into darkness until all I could see were pulsing dark red sparks.

In the end it's all to be looked down with a smile. Life is a great dance no?

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Well what to do ? Add sattva, chose sattva, infuse sattva. This brings unfoldment, balance.

praṇām
    Namaste,

Yes exactly, What to do ? How to do ?
    How to add sattva ?

I read your post of 9 level of people but if I am at the lowest level then how can I get to the level where body falls as described.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Thread Information