Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surya Namaskar Ritual

Re: Surya Namaskar Ritual

Okay, TBTL:
    I'm new to Sanatana Dharma, but not the chakra system. I've believed that many years.(though in no way am I an expert) You can Google this to to verify that I'm remotely accurate, but each chakra I believe vibrates to a certain note, so like, CDEFGAB, etc, but then there are the seed sounds (bija? I think)

the seed sound I believe is this
    CHAKRA: SEED SOUND
    Root: LAM
    Sacral:VAM
    Solar Plexus:RAM
    Heart: YAM
    Throat: HAM
    Brow/Third Eye:OM
    Crown: None I believe

Now this is just me, but I do in fact try to do a yoga pose for each of the chakras, and repeat each seed sound correspondingly. My understanding is that the seed sounds also then help to open their respective chakras.

Others can probably expand on this better, and I guarantee there are excellently thorough bits of information lurking about the internet! Like search terms seed sounds of the chakras or something to that effect. I have info somewhere in a few of my chakra books too, but I happen to know the sounds from practice.

You made me perk up my ears with the CDEFGAB, because I play guitar and bass (love those I IV V progressions. 99.999878% of Rock 'n Roll songs ).

OK, I get it about the seed sounds (like AIM is the bija for Maa Saraswati) being attached to chakras. I was confused (maybe still am) as to the relationship between the seed sound and the mantra for each chakra. The article says to recite the chakra's mantra, but it also lists the seed.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

TBTL
    I join you in the confusion between seed sound and mantra because actually, I have an iPhone chakra app. It has an audio and then the written of each chakra's mantra, but I don't see the seed sound with it. I also couldn't begin to recite the mantras by heart, but the iPhone app lists each one. (I have no idea if there is any variation of mantras based on "who" one consults). But for example, this app lists the Root/Muladhara Chakra mantra as:
    Ek Ong Kar Sat Nam Siri Wahe Guru.
    Each word taken all together it says means "There is one Creator whose name is Truth. Great is the ecstasy of that Supreme Wisdom."
    (for example, Ek means one, essence of all; Kar is creation; Sat means truth)
    Solar Plexus Chakra for example is just listed as "Hari Har" with explanation that Hari is creation in action; Har is one of the aspects of God-the Creative Infinity. So anyway, that's at least what this app says. So I wonder-does one say the seed sound, and then the mantra? I don't know. And does stating/chanting the mantra then also open the chakra point? Now that one I'm guessing is the case, and that's where others may be able to answer. Now for the notes to play-sounds like you have a great way to make chakra notes! Guess it's a matter of the right octave which I'll bet a Google search will reveal.

Namaste shantiseeker...

Quote Originally Posted by shantiseeker View Post
    I also couldn't begin to recite the mantras by heart
    Neither can I, so I cheat and make up laminated cards.

So I wonder-does one say the seed sound, and then the mantra? Does stating/chanting the mantra also open the chakra point? I'm guessing that's the case, and that's where others may be able to answer.
    Yep, that's my question as well. We'll get an answer soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste shantiseeker...

Neither can I, so I cheat and make up laminated cards.

Yep, that's my question as well. We'll get an answer soon enough.
    Yes we'll get an answer! I know a few mantras by heart: Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha, and the Maha mantra, as well as Om Namah Shivaya (that one's not too hard to remember, LOL). Plus the one we say in my yoga class (Lokah Samasta Sukhino Bhavuntu which is not one to the gods), but means "May all beings everywhere be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all."

I know the Sarveshaam prayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xzOzbfxTo but I haven't heard the Lokah Samasta Sukhino Bhavuntu.

Excellent TBTL-it's neat to know any mantra. I know the Lokah Samasta Sukhino Bhavuntu from yoga, and if I'm correct, a yoga class venue is where it is frequently said.

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by shantiseeker View Post
    So I wonder-does one say the seed sound, and then the mantra?
    I thought I would resurrect this because as I'm moving along, I'd like to begin the Surya Namaskar. I'm still confused about using only the mantra itself, or using the seed with it. There is a recording of the mantras, which do not use the seed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyKuPxR-JP0

I'd also like to know which of these is correct, or if it matters.

http://www.vishuji.org/shivpuja.htm#surnam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya_N...ce_and_chakras

Namaste,

These singers have better pronunciation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2l0tadiQHE but they don't include the last part, om śrīsavit.rsūryanārāyaṇāya namaḥ (ॐ श्रीसवितृसूर्यनारायणाय नमः). I have never heard a recording nor seen a site that suggests the seed should be uttered. Have you?

I practice this almost every day, but have not incorperated the mantra into it. Now that I've heard this recording, I will, though! I will simply sing the whole mantra (without seed) all the way through before whereas some people seem to say each name before the pose associated with it. hmmm... How do you plan on doing it?

As for what's the best way to pronounce it, if you can read the wikipedia transliteration, it's actually the standard, representing the actual devanagari sounds. So that one (the second) is the best of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste all.

I thought I would resurrect this because as I'm moving along, I'd like to begin the Surya Namaskar. I'm still confused about using only the mantra itself, or using the seed with it. There is a recording of the mantras, which do not use the seed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyKuPxR-JP0

I'd also like to know which of these is correct, or if it matters.

http://www.vishuji.org/shivpuja.htm#surnam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya_N...ce_and_chakras

I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do, but I won't use the seed. I only saw it on that list I posted.

Thread Information