Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were our ancient civilizations more sophisticated than our

Were our ancient civilizations more sophisticated than our

There has been a lot of study of ancient civilizations by scientists and lot of the buildings constructed during those times have been considered as "Engineering marvels"

A lot of questions have been raised on the technology employed during those times.Some of them have been answered but a lot of them still remain a mystery while some raises more questions.

Consider the Egyptian civilization for example, the technology used was considered so highly sophisticated that some of them speculate an influence of "Aliens" during those times .

Another example, is when a scientist by the name Oppenheimer was asked about the invention of atom bomb, he said that it was the first to be used in the modern times(which implies that according to him that it was already used some time before in the ancient times)

A lot of geographical findings raises more and more questions on the sophistication of ancient civilization

So, are we the most advanced and sophisticated civilization ever? or were there ones which were more advanced and sophisticated than us?

Re: Were our ancient civilizations more sophisticated than our

Vannakkam The Occult: Can you please define 'sophisticated'?

Aum Namasivaya

I imply "complex or intricate, as a system, process,"

Vannakkam The Occult: So then this topic has nothing at all to do with spirituality. I see the two as totally separate.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam The Occult: So then this topic has nothing at all to do with spirituality. I see the two as totally separate.

Aum Namasivaya

Thats why I asked it in the Science section

Namasté

Quote Originally Posted by The Occult View Post
    There has been a lot of study of ancient civilizations by scientists and lot of the buildings constructed during those times have been considered as "Engineering marvels"

A lot of questions have been raised on the technology employed during those times.Some of them have been answered but a lot of them still remain a mystery while some raises more questions.

Consider the Egyptian civilization for example, the technology used was considered so highly sophisticated that some of them speculate an influence of "Aliens" during those times .
    These Marvels are economically not viable today, thus the driving force is no longer existent, to produce similar things. This is to my mind the largest influencing factor in our assimilation of what is possible or not.

Another example, is when a scientist by the name Oppenheimer was asked about the invention of atom bomb, he said that it was the first to be used in the modern times(which implies that according to him that it was already used some time before in the ancient times)
    When a meteor or comet strikes the earth, if it is large enough an atomic blast can be released which has the power of thousands of our bombs.
    The last recorded event was over Russia in the Tunguska event in 1908 fortunately in an unpopulated area. A meteoritic caused a nuclear explosion above the ground.

This is the current theory for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

A lot of geographical findings raises more and more questions on the sophistication of ancient civilization
    Examples?

So, are we the most advanced and sophisticated civilization ever? or were there ones which were more advanced and sophisticated than us?
    What does it mean to be civilized?

I am sure that there have been more peaceful civilisations in the past but they don't get recognition in historical records as more dominant people tend to wipe them out. It has been stated by many a warmonger that history is written by the winners.

You could argue that these people were more spiritually balanced.
    Our understanding of reality may be doing a loop back onto its self in that science may point directly to the wisdom of ancient times in its depiction of reality today.

Were there more materially advanced peoples in the past we would find evidence of this in the geological records.

Pranam

Mana

namaste Occult.

These two books might of interest to you:
    The Solar System by Arthur E.Powell (for ancient civilizations)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/16619974/A...e-Solar-System

An Encyclopaedia of Hindu Architecture by P.K.AchArya
    http://www.archive.org/download/ency...07achauoft.pdf
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

If you're asking whether I think that ancient Indians were ahead of their time in terms of mathematics, astronomy, and philosophy, I'd certainly say yes. But were they ahead of our time in any of these fields? Of course not! If they were more advanced in terms of scientific and technical knowledge, we'd have some hard evidence of this. So far I'm not aware of any groundbreaking findings...

I tend towards the belief, that the simplicity of a less complicated life; will have once meant that certain aspects of the workings of civilisation were much more apparent.

That we have diverged from a simpler, much easier understanding of the very same things that today we strive to understand.

It is interesting to note that knowledge is lost and then found again. Within the rise and fall of civilisations.

Thats why I asked it in the Science section
    Vannakkam: Oops ... I didn't notice that. Sorry.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information