Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organ Donation

Organ Donation

Namasté, all,

I'm currently putting together a variety of forms and papers that, as an adult woman, I should have had completed and filed away a long time ago. Some of these documents involve medical directives: wishes for medical care, and instructions in case of demise. (Not that I'm planning on checking out anytime soon, but then again, few people plan such things!)

I've read contradicting views among Hindus regarding organ donation and wondered if any Hindus here would be willing to discuss the subject. Are there any texts that share relevant wisdom? (I haven't yet found the Organ Donor Upaniṣad, but maybe you folks know something I don't. ) Any thoughts or opinions to share?

I want to help others where possible, with whatever I have, hence that I'm a blood donor (besides the thought that 'bleeding to save life' seems a nifty Frawley-esque re-interpretation of the modern kṣatriya). But when I began reading on the subject of organ donation, I found the concept that giving an organ amounts to giving impressions, memories, spiritual experiences, possibly even karma to the recipient, which could potentially cause harm.

What say you, HDF?

(Also, discussing the subject will allow me to postpone paperwork for a while, and oh, how I loathe paperwork. )

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Re: Organ Donation

I don't know if the scriptures address this issue, but I am all for it. If I am not this body and just the soul, then what difference does it make as to what is done with my body once the soul leaves it. Karma should be tied to the soul, not to the body. So, I don't see how one would pass on their Karma to the organ recipient. I don't mean to influence you one way or the other, but that is what I feel and think. Disclaimer: I don't have any organ donation papers prepared. May be I should, but who would want these tired worn out organs?
    Best wishes.
    Last edited by Believer; 01 September 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namasté, all,

I'm currently putting together a variety of forms and papers that, as an adult woman, I should have had completed and filed away a long time ago. Some of these documents involve medical directives: wishes for medical care, and instructions in case of demise. (Not that I'm planning on checking out anytime soon, but then again, few people plan such things!)

I've read contradicting views among Hindus regarding organ donation and wondered if any Hindus here would be willing to discuss the subject. Are there any texts that share relevant wisdom? (I haven't yet found the Organ Donor Upaniṣad, but maybe you folks know something I don't. ) Any thoughts or opinions to share?

I want to help others where possible, with whatever I have, hence that I'm a blood donor (besides the thought that 'bleeding to save life' seems a nifty Frawley-esque re-interpretation of the modern kṣatriya). But when I began reading on the subject of organ donation, I found the concept that giving an organ amounts to giving impressions, memories, spiritual experiences, possibly even karma to the recipient, which could potentially cause harm.

What say you, HDF?

(Also, discussing the subject will allow me to postpone paperwork for a while, and oh, how I loathe paperwork. )

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Have you heard of Dadhichi rishi ? He donated all his bones to Indra (he died for this) for making Vajra, the Indra's weapon. ... and this was considered a donation of one of the highest orders. So, donating one's body or body parts is nothing new to Hindus.

I am sure, there is nothing in the Shastras against this. BTW, what are the objections you have come across, I am curious ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

my last organ donation....

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannakkam Yajvan: If you donated your last organ, how are you able to write and share here on HDF?

Personally, I think its fine to donate organs, but I am with Believer. Who'd want these old ones?

Think if it was your own spouse, or child. Surely you'd donate then. Still it is an individual choice, and I'd support the right of anyone not to donate.

Edited to add: I do believe there would be some sort of mystical connection either way: receiving or giving, but I think each case would have to be given due consideration. Obviously there is another body's prana involved. Of course those with no real belief in this sort of thing wouldn't agree.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 01 September 2011 at 04:57 PM.

Hari Om!

I too have heard as Indraneela has that one may pass on karma, etc. I'd like to be able to name the source, but now its become a personal belief so I'll have to leave it at that for now. Please don't think I'm cruel for this, it's just my view, but in the same realm I have a DNR order.

Indraneela, I applaud you for getting the paperwork in order. So many don't and they leave family with tough decisions to make at critical and difficult times. Good job and well done!

Om Namah Sivaya!
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste,
    Yajvan, you couldn't resist could you?

Indraneela, think what a beautiful thing you propose and fits with concept of datta perfectly. No doubt about your intention and assume receiver of such a gift would be so grateful. Think both of these things are important.

From opinion only view, believe the Supreme One, understands regarding karma, the beautiful offering you propose and this would not translate from donation of your (the Lords) organ to receiver.

Think this is such a charitable and compassionate gesture.

Peace to you.

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

Edited to add: I do believe there would be some sort of mystical connection either way:

Aum Namasivaya
    more likely underlying concern is that some hidden disease lurking in the organ may enter the recipient, and that would then prove to be disastrous. So whoever had put it as mystical or spiritual contraindication for transfer was in his/her heart of hearts worried about this unforseen complication.
    Giving is daana from daya or karuna (compassion) and hence is dharmic in the perfect world of spirituality. namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    more likely underlying concern is that some hidden disease lurking in the organ may enter the recipient, and that would then prove to be disastrous. So whoever had put it as mystical or spiritual contraindication for transfer was in his/her heart of hearts worried about this unforseen complication.
    Giving is daana from daya or karuna (compassion) and hence is dharmic in the perfect world of spirituality. namaste.
    This is how we justify our irrational behaviour ! This is sheer cowardice and selfishness and nothing else.

This body doesn't belong to me. It has to disintegrate into various elements from which it is made. Whether I like it or not, this body is going to be destroyed without a trace ... so if any part of it can be of use to anyone ... what is going from my pocket ? If I die and don't donate my eyes, it is going to be destroyed ... so why not donate it to someone who can see with these eyes ? Same can be said for other organs if they can be used.

As far as passing on disease or something like it is concerned ... let's leave it to the doctors. BTW, how many transplants have given rise to such situations which otherwise wouldn't have happened ? I don't know. I would leave it to the doctors to decide.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

namaste,
    I have thought about the subject a bit. I do donate blood but when it comes to organs I am still neutral and haven't made up my mind.

I understand the point that I am not this body and it doesn't belong to me but that's precisely my issue. If it doesn't 'belong' to me, how can I give away parts of it!? It doesn't belong to me!
    satay

Thread Information