Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we only remember GOD when we are in great trouble, pain or sorrow?

Why we only remember GOD when we are in great trouble, pain or sorrow?

Namste all,

It always happen with me, whenever I am in deep trouble or pain that time I remember god with an intense feeling. But in normal I am not able to remember the GOD with same feeling. I always try hard, not to be so selfish and remember GOD with same imitations when everything is ok but I cant keep the promise. Does it mean I am not a good devotee or I am in wrong path?

Saadar
    Saral

Re: Why we only remember GOD when we are in great trouble, pain or sorrow?

Namasté saral

Excellent question; our true nature is to be at one with god, our ego obstructs this relationship. In times of trouble our ego is diminished, it takes a knock.

With less ego to obstruct our minds we are closer to God.

We pick our selves up and carry on, the ego returns and we forget the reality.

All part of becoming more aware. To my mind the very nature of your question is a sign that you are on the right path.

Pranam

Mana

Quote Originally Posted by saral View Post
    Namste all,

It always happen with me, whenever I am in deep trouble or pain that time I remember god with an intense feeling. But in normal I am not able to remember the GOD with same feeling. I always try hard, not to be so selfish and remember GOD with same imitations when everything is ok but I cant keep the promise. Does it mean I am not a good devotee or I am in wrong path?

Saadar

Saral
    Vannakkam Saral: I think how and when we remember God must be quite personal, for I am quite the opposite. In troubled times, I'm more likely to forget God altogether. I've had this selfish immature emotional notion that God has abandoned me, and so there is no reason to think of Him. I am more likely to see God everywhere when things are smooth.

But I do understand the reasoning here. In troubled times, you feel you need help, so who else to call upon but God?

Aum Namasivaya

This "we" you speak of...humanity itself, is very troubled...very confused.

I am not afflicted with this condition but I hope I can help.

When I was a very young child, I would gather berries, fruits and flower petals to make designs on the ground in my secret space which was made by bushes and small trees that had grown to have a shelter at the center which no one knew about...but me.

In the rain, snow...on my birthday...in abuse...and in calm times I came.

Spent all day at this task while most children were playing in the street together.

I would emerge from my secret place with my hair riddled with leaves and flower blossoms...and my friends would say...there's nature girl!

What nature is this then?

The nature to remain unaffected by the weather.

This world is full of transient pain and happiness...the only way to remove ourself from that pain is to void it...to remain unaffected as you can.

Allow it to flow over you as the waves wash your feet on the sandy beach.

The other night my husband was reading me news. See, I have mostly stopped watching TV and listening to radio...or even reading about the news.

But, he reads me stories...and though I ask for him to not it happens from time to time he forgets this because he is so upset about the story.

This one was of a 10 year old child in texas I believe...Johnathan James. He was refused water by his parents for almost a week...collapsed and died.

As he told the story I became so upset with tears I could no longer listen. These Portions...so astoundingly confused they do great harm to others here.

Because I do not just hear this story...I am thrust into the eyes and angle of this Beloved Portion and know fully his suffering. I was very upset.

I went to my bathroom and prayed and I tell Beloved that Jonathan is now my own child....as they all are...3 year old Marcus Fiesel...Alex Suleski...all of them.

I keep their names in my heart you see...and try to remain unaffected by their passing. Try to remember that they are no longer here to suffer...from the weather.

How differently this world would be if everyone was treated as who they truly are? If suddenly even these ones who suffered but also the ones who did this terrible act of torture were known to be nothing less than a Portion of Beloved?

When in every moment...even the dish washing that you wash dishes for Beloved? That you did the laundry and new it was in direct service to Beloved?

How can we ever... not be thinking of Him?

These forms of happiness and sorrow are brothers and if we seek this form of happiness can not expect it to travel alone...sorrow is a part of the package. The only way to unshackle myself from these passing waves is to know where true Bliss reside. It's not in this drama, but in the removal from the drama..in the still spaces to be found.

Once we no longer are being thrashed by these waves, our heart is finally free to fully understand this Truth.

Then you will always find that Beloved is upon your mind!<3

Namaste Saral,

I can understand why a lot of souls feel like this towards God. It is instinctive for many of us to cry out to God when we are going through difficult times in our life, especially when we feel weak, abandoned or ill-prepared for big challenges, things that are potentially life-changing or life-threatening. Many souls look to God like protective mother or father who will come to their aid if they call for help. I don't see it as a sign of immaturity in the soul, although I do think that greater sense of detachment can help the jiva to understand the law of cause and effect. Entrenched so deeply in the comings and goings of life, how is it possible for beings to go about their lives and not encounter these sufferings, even on an everyday basis?

I'm glad to say I've never experienced many times when I was at breaking point, but I can recall moments when I felt my heart so sore and cracking at the seams. Such periods I would just sit there for hours (sometimes crying, other times feeling numb and exhausted), whispering God's name to myself. It wasn't like japa practice at all. No mala, no steady breathing, no centering one's thoughts and keeping one's emotions under check. I'd just keep saying "Maa/Mother" over and over again. I'm not sure to this day if I use it as a way to call on God, or just to comfort myself. But I do know that every time I feel great hurt and pain in my heart, I am compelled to say God's name, maybe as a reminder that I'm not alone. I've noticed that after I've said it long enough, I'm sometimes able to develop a sense of observation quite outside my own experience of intense sorrow or anger. It's like there's a second sense of self watching me inside myself, with all my human weaknesses, faults, sufferings. It watches quiet and unspeaking, but it has never felt distant or uncaring. Such moments have helped me remember that this hurt I am going through is just another karmic wave that I'm riding out. I cannot say if this is God that I feel with me, but I can say that it has brought much comfort to me in my darkest moments.

Joy is as transient as pain. Will I demand only joy in my life, and refuse the reality of pain when I face it? Living with such a mindset is setting oneself up for a life of illusion and self-deceit. Pain is inevitable, but suffering is not. This is a realisation God has gifted with us, to make of tragedies and great hurts what we will of it.

I believe that with time as this experience of "remembering God only during the bad times" is lessened and gradually recedes, naturally the experience of "remembering Him during the good times" will gain precedence. As Mana says, even by just posting this, you are already turning your awareness to this habit of yours. And awareness is the first step in spiritual evolution.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Hari Om!

I can only second what Sunyata has written. Crying out to God in times of pain or difficulty is the first step that leads us to a realization of God in all things. I hope that I've paraphrased you correctly Sunyata - your post left me spellbound with its clarity and depth.

You are on the correct path saral. Be patient with yourself and you will see that you are already remembering God perhaps more than you "remember".

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste

Quoting Kunti in her prayers to Shri KrushNa after the Mahabharat war:

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/8/26/en
    janmaiśvarya-śruta-śrībhir
    edhamāna-madaḥ pumān
    naivārhaty abhidhātuḿ vai
    tvām aki&#241;cana-gocaram

My Lord, Your Lordship can easily be approached, but only by those who are materially exhausted. One who is on the path of [material] progress, trying to improve himself with respectable parentage, great opulence, high education and bodily beauty, cannot approach You with sincere feeling.

Prayers by Queen Kunti consists of Shrimad BhAgavat mahApurAN Canto One, Chapter 8 verses 17 to 44 (SB 1.8.17 - 44)

This one was of a 10 year old child in texas I believe...Johnathan James. He was refused water by his parents for almost a week...collapsed and died.
    I just cannot believe this. I realize insane things go on in the world, but this ? No, something must be wrong or missing somewhere in the news report ? perhaps the child did die of heat stroke but in some other way ? It is too disturbing to be true.

He GovindA !

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

It is too disturbing to be true.
    Smaranam, what's even more disturbing is when you learn that the boy was refused water by his parents because he had wet the bed the week before.As Naya was saying, this world is very troubled and confused. This planet is suffering from a mental sickness. It's the only way I can comprehend how some people can be so cruel and sadistic to each other.Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Pranam Saral

It is perfectly ok to worship the Lord in the times of distress Lord Krishna confirms this.

chaturvidha bhajante mAm, janA: sukrutino (a)rjuna |
    Artho jignAsur arthArthi, gnAni cha bharatarshabha ||--- 7/16

The sloka means
    Oh best of Bharatas ! Four types of Men of virtuous deeds worship me. They are the one who is grieved, the one who desires worldly things, the one who seeks knowledge and the man of wisdom.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post

I just cannot believe this. I realize insane things go on in the world, but this ? No, something must be wrong or missing somewhere in the news report ? perhaps the child did die of heat stroke but in some other way ? It is too disturbing to be true.

He GovindA !

praNAm
    shocking that it is, it is very disturbing, unfortunately we live in a sick world, they say there is worst to come.

Not so long ago i read one grand mother somewhere in Punjab threw a young girl in the Tandoor.

we can only pray for those unfortunate souls, we simply do not know why this thing happens.

hai Govind Hai Gopal!

Radhe radhe

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information