Thread: Where in the universe does one start?

Where in the universe does one start?

Hari Bol!

If I'm searching for a tradition to take up eventually - or seeking a truth within the Sanatana Dharma, where would anyone recommend starting?

There are so many different philosophies and traditions out there - its dizzying! This forum is also the same - as many people quote quite complicated scripture in response to many questions?

Any help - web sites - books etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Rahasya
    He is relishing the mellows of pure devotion within his mind,
    sometimes his hair stands on end, he feels quivering in his body,
    and tears flow from his eyes like waves.
    I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
    :cool1:

Re: Where in the universe does one start?

You could start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism There are links to links to links to some pretty good articles. At the bottom of the pages there are references and citations that often come from other books and literature.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Quark23 View Post
    Hari Bol!

If I'm searching for a tradition to take up eventually - or seeking a truth within the Sanatana Dharma, where would anyone recommend starting?

There are so many different philosophies and traditions out there - its dizzying! This forum is also the same - as many people quote quite complicated scripture in response to many questions?

Thank you.

- Rahasya
    Vannakkam Quark: Welcome to these forums. From my POV, there is only one place to start, and that is from where you are standing right now. What do you know already? (ideally, nothing might be the best place to start)

For me personally, since Hinduism is far more about doing than reading, I would recommend doing something, and that first step would be to begin a simple practise or go to a temple. For one thing, a temple experience will give you a much better 'feel' for it.

An analogy is the old days when teachers used to go to college or university for 3 years before stepping back inside a classroom. Then occasionally it was, "Oops, I just realised I don't like being around children! I guess I just wasted 3 years of my life."

At least now they (here in Canada) put teachers in classrooms that first year.

There's a temple or two in Perth, or so I've heard.

Aum Namasivaya

Start inside.

What is the question that drives you? What is your spiritual desire? Seek it with a passion and you shall make great progress.

The internet is a great facilitator when it comes to information, so we all can be grateful for that. And this forum aside from being great for information, it's also great for interchange.

Differently from EM, my current personal stance is to seek information, study, get to know new concepts and paradigms of Hinduism.

Namasté Quark

Have you read the Bhagavad Gita? If not, I recommend Eknath Easwarans interpretation highly.

praNAma

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Start inside.

Vannakkam Pietro: Excellent advice!

Also good to see you caught up on your sleep.

Quark23: I know this wouldn't be true for everyone, but following your gut (intuition) isn't a bad idea either. Maybe that's the same as looking inside.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

How about starting with this questions, who am i? where am i going, what is the purpose of life and what is my goal?

First thread in Vedanta-sutra is athato brahma jijnasa, now is the time to inquire in to the absolute truth.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Hello Quark,

I agree fully with Eastern Mind. You should do and then see if that's really what you want/need. For example, I wanted to study medicine, but before I did, I knew there was more to it than just the knowledge part of it, so I decided to take a short course in nursing to see if I'm cut out for the real- life hurt, pain and suffering kind of thing. I wasn't cut out for it. Upon visiting some patients, I broke down and cried and cried. No matter how much i tried to tell myself that i would get used to it, it didnt work because I felt the pain of these people much more than I would be able to help. Its not about being a chicken or a rough tough person. Its about being realistic.

Start with LOVE. See with your own eyes and observe and feel,,,,,,,,,,,,, feel what's inside and you'd be guided to the path that you should follow. Of course you would be doing research on the various aspects, but that's not enough at this stage.

I don't know the Hindu scriptures well enough to quote anything, but I find it fascinating reading the others learned posts. It should not get you dizzy..............what we Hindus learn and know and quote, is for enrichment, not for persuasion or mockery. It's because they LOVE, hence their ability to be so thorough in what they share.

Take for example, I only know english. Wish I'd known Sanskrit or Hindi so I would be able to understand without translations, but there is always some limit or the other, that's why I say to LOVE and do, and the rest will fall into place.

Shivasati

Namaste Quark,

Search for the answers to your questions and see for yourself what satisfies you. We all are here to solve the eternal questions : "Why are we all here ? Where did we come from and where shall we go after death ? Why am I not happy all the time ... why do I need anything external to be happy ? What is the mystery of this world, this life and the death ? etc. etc."

Please don't go by the questions I suggested above. It may or may not be the questions that bother you. Find out the RIGHT Questions first. Read the books written by the great saints about the paths they followed & see if that satisfies you. Similarly keep reading books about other paths till you find a path that appeals you the most.

Please be patient. Why hurry ? It is the most important issue of our existence & deserves to be considered patiently. Take your time ... keep reading, asking questions, listening to others. You will know the path that you seek.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste

I think you will find this very informative:
    http://www.youtube.com/gitadharma

If you would like to 'taste' some practices, first consider
    moving towards a non-violent diet. That means making it
    your goal to eventually eat a diet of which animal slaughter
    played no role. Besides the metaphysical benefits there are
    many health benefits to it (if done properly):
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...an-starter-kit
    Most Hindus in India are vegetarian.

Also you are invited to experience this mantra:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBy0nU2rPEY
    (You may disregard the illustrations unless you like them.)

You can chant this mantra anytime but it is especially good
    first thing in the morning after taking nothing but water.

Just sit comfortably facing East with your back straight
    and your head and neck erect. You can just listen to the
    recording and chant along as you like. When you are
    comfortable with your pronunciation you can try it by
    yourself at your own pace. As a beginner, try to give
    the practice at least 9 minutes.

This is one way that you can get started and be able
    to talk about Sanatana Dharma having had some
    experience with sadhana.

Of course you will probably also try other mantras until
    eventually you find one that you feel attached to.

Blessings.

Hari Aum Shanti

Hari Bol!

Thank you.

- Rahasya
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 21 September 2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: rewrite
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Thread Information