Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New

Talking New

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, so I guess it is custom to introduce myself

My name is Danielle, and I am 18 living in the USA. I was born and raised catholic, even got confirmed, but I felt like I was always living in fear of God. I didn't feel like God was the loving being that I felt inside. So I started thinking about what I really believed in, and I felt that I could not believe in eternal hell, satan, or just one life. So I started researching the different world religions, and once I stumbled on Hinduism, I couldn't stop reading. For the next year I absorbed every bit of information I could, and just a month or so ago, I started going to the Hindu Temple. It has been a great experience even though my father, sister, and brother do not approve. My mother and step-father are supported, and I haven't told any other family members yet, but I will at our next gathering. I hope they will be as supportive as so many of my friends and my mother has been. The Hindu temple has been a light in my life, I have been going every day I can, I have made so many friends, and even have a "Hindu Mom" there. They accepted me into the fold with open arms, open minds, and lots of love. I feel like I am back home! It is like I never "learned" anything about this religion, but remembered. I just rediscovered myself, and it is wonderful. I am hoping to change my name sometime in the next few years and to wear the bindi every day. Now, I wear the bindi everywhere except at school and family gatherings. I am going to be going to college next year to study botany and herbalism, and am so thankful for the opportunity to study and help others in a natural and wholesome way in my future. Thank you for reading, I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Jai Ganesha!

Re: New

Hello Danielle:

Welcome to HDF...Did you know the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi just ended?

In any case, look around on HDF on different topics that will interest you and post issues/questions/suggestions that you come across...

Namaste Danielle,

Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you here with us. It sounds like you've already come a long way since you found Sanatana Dharma. I'm happy that you've found so much contentment in being Hindu, and I wish you the best of luck in letting your extended family know about your new faith. Looking forward to your posts!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Thank you everyone, and yes, I went to the Ganesh Chaturthi festival and the Ganesh Poojas at the temple. It was a great experience!
    I just came back from the Balaji Abhishekam, and people kept asking me if I needed any help of if I had any questions. It was so nice seeing all of those friendly people, everyone treated me like family right away. Its kind of funny how almost every time I go someone asks me if I am new or need anything, it is probably because I am the only white person there, but I don't mind, it helps make new friends. Anyways, thanks again and namaste!
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellasaur View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, so I guess it is custom to introduce myself

My name is Danielle, and I am 18 living in the USA. I was born and raised catholic, even got confirmed, but I felt like I was always living in fear of God. I didn't feel like God was the loving being that I felt inside. So I started thinking about what I really believed in, and I felt that I could not believe in eternal hell, satan, or just one life. So I started researching the different world religions, and once I stumbled on Hinduism, I couldn't stop reading. For the next year I absorbed every bit of information I could, and just a month or so ago, I started going to the Hindu Temple. It has been a great experience even though my father, sister, and brother do not approve. My mother and step-father are supported, and I haven't told any other family members yet, but I will at our next gathering. I hope they will be as supportive as so many of my friends and my mother has been. The Hindu temple has been a light in my life, I have been going every day I can, I have made so many friends, and even have a "Hindu Mom" there. They accepted me into the fold with open arms, open minds, and lots of love. I feel like I am back home! It is like I never "learned" anything about this religion, but remembered. I just rediscovered myself, and it is wonderful. I am hoping to change my name sometime in the next few years and to wear the bindi every day. Now, I wear the bindi everywhere except at school and family gatherings. I am going to be going to college next year to study botany and herbalism, and am so thankful for the opportunity to study and help others in a natural and wholesome way in my future. Thank you for reading, I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Jai Ganesha!
    Vannakkam Daniele: Very nice introduction ... Hinduism can do that to you, yes. Most of the converts or adoptives here would have experienced the same thing to some degree, or we wouldn't be here. Welcome to the forums, and to the religion.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Danielle, and welcome.

I was born and raised catholic, even got confirmed, but I felt like I was always living in fear of God. I didn't feel like God was the loving being that I felt inside. So I started thinking about what I really believed in, and I felt that I could not believe in eternal hell, satan, or just one life.
    As was the case for many of us. I never felt God pervade me, because I was trying to draw close to the wrong God. I feel like I've become like a lightning rod for Sri Krishna, and guess what... He's always with me.

It is like I never "learned" anything about this religion, but remembered. I just rediscovered myself, and it is wonderful.
    I think I read somewhere that we remember or rediscover that we were Hindu before, but the feelings were clouded. Then the clouds lift and it all comes flooding back.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste Danielle,

Welcome to the forums! Great to read your experience, hope you find the discussions here useful in your spiritual journey.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Namast Daniellasaur

Nice to meet you, welcome!

praNAma

mana

Welcome to the forum! It's nice meeting other younger converts on here . I hope my temple experience is as good as yours .

Thank you everyone, and yes, I went to the Ganesh Chaturthi festival and the Ganesh Poojas at the temple. It was a great experience!
    I just came back from the Balaji Abhishekam, and people kept asking me if I needed any help of if I had any questions. It was so nice seeing all of those friendly people, everyone treated me like family right away. Its kind of funny how almost every time I go someone asks me if I am new or need anything, it is probably because I am the only white person there, but I don't mind, it helps make new friends. Anyways, thanks again and namaste!
    Vannakkam: You're definitely a breath of fresh air! The trepidation new people fear about going to a temple is unnecessary. I remember being at a temple in the US for the first time, and some born Hindus who were also there for the first time were asking me about the place. Irony.

Of course this does depend a bit on the temple. Some, due to a variety of reasons, are just more likely to have more westerners come, so hence are also more likely to have introductory programs.

The Balaji temple in Chicago, for example, was incredibly helpful when my wife and I went last year. Others were a bit more standoffish.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information