Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start

Where to start

Hello everyone,
    Hinduism is always a religion I've been interested in, but I would run away from it because of the misconceptions I've been told. Even though I'm young, I know I want to have a connection with good. It feels weird because I'm scared but I know God loves me and I want to become a better person. I used to laugh at people who found happiness in God, but I want to walk around and be happy like them. I'm currently reading the Hindu Mind and I know this path is right for me. I feel out of place searching because I'm this 15 year old who isn't even Indian. I know God transcends all race but I'm so intimidated to go to a temple. Many temples have membership fees and such but I'm honestly too poor to afford that. I want to be surrounded by like minded people and become a better person. So where should I start? I do plan on reading scriptures but I guess what are the steps I should take. Thanks. If I don't make sense just ask me to clarify haha.

Re: Where to start

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowlotus View Post
    Many temples have membership fees and such but I'm honestly too poor to afford that.
    Really? I wasnt aware of such...In any case you are in the Midwest...There should be temples in Chicago...there is a famous one in Pittsburgh...I am fairly certain they dont have any fees for someone to visit.

Many temples have membership fees and such but I'm honestly too poor to afford that.
    There are fees for certain pujes, but fees to visit? The membership fees must be for joining the governing council/trustee board or becoming a patron of the temple.

Vannakkam rainbow: Absolutely no temple charges admission. Membership is just for the society or group that runs a temple, just as Yava has said.

It is quite normal to be afraid of the unknown. Many here have been through the very same thing. Your age makes it a bit more interesting. From my experience raising teenagers, that could go both ways. You could be braver than adults of shyer too, depending on personality.

If you share your location information, perhaps one of us can help on the real plane, not this one.n I've been to the one in Omaha, and one of several in Chicago.

Best wishes, and welcome aboard.

Aum Namasivaya

Hello everyone,
    Hinduism is always a religion I've been interested in, but I would run away from it because of the misconceptions I've been told. Even though I'm young, I know I want to have a connection with good. It feels weird because I'm scared but I know God loves me and I want to become a better person. I used to laugh at people who found happiness in God, but I want to walk around and be happy like them. I'm currently reading the Hindu Mind and I know this path is right for me. I feel out of place searching because I'm this 15 year old who isn't even Indian. I know God transcends all race but I'm so intimidated to go to a temple. Many temples have membership fees and such but I'm honestly too poor to afford that. I want to be surrounded by like minded people and become a better person. So where should I start? I do plan on reading scriptures but I guess what are the steps I should take. Thanks. If I don't make sense just ask me to clarify haha.
    It's good you are reading and feeling this is the right path for you. Keep reading other works. You can read the Bhagavad Gita, in its entirety, on the internet. It seems you know what to do, but are just holding back.

I too, used to scoff at people who "found God". I always scoffed at the inspirational sayings and the devoutness of people. I started my search, then cynicism, then devoutness, then agnosticism starting about your age. So I've been at is a good 40 years. If I only knew then what I know now...

So, here I am, a 54 year old white guy born and raised Italian-American who has finally fully embraced Hinduism, because something hit me like a thunderbolt telling me it is the right way. I registered here with another user name, but asked for it to be changed, because I feel that Sri Krishna touched my heart and soul. I was listening to a bhajan, and became choked up and moved to tears. I felt him pervading me in a way I never felt in my past beliefs, or ever thought I could feel.

Keep telling yourself that God transcends race, color, sex, income bracket, because it's true. Don't ever be put off because you feel out of place, either in your own mind or because someone makes you think that.

As for the membership fees, I think membership fees are for being considered registered members of the temple community and have a say in running it, i.e. voting. This is the membership form from the temple near me that I would probably attend: http://www.guruvayurappantemple.org/Membership.html I simply can't afford any of those, even on a "six month easy payment plan".

Some people never go to temple and just worship at home, other people practically live at the temple. I can't believe that the average worshipper who wants to go to temple occasionally would be denied entrance for not showing an i.d. card. For example, tomorrow @ 7 pm is Sri Satyanarayana (Lord Vishnu) Puja which I would love to attend, but I won't be able to. If I did go, I doubt I'd be turned away for not being a paid member. Though donations are the right thing to do.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Really? I wasnt aware of such...In any case you are in the Midwest...There should be temples in Chicago...there is a famous one in Pittsburgh...I am fairly certain they dont have any fees for someone to visit.
    I'm from Michigan. Well to be able to attend religious classes and such you need to pay. I live in an affluent town and I'm scared it would be obvious that I'm poor :/.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I want to become a better person.
    Just this one thing, the desire to become a better person, let that be your guide. But what to do ? Follow sattva. Become infused with sattva, choose sattva, and your path will be clear and direct.

What to do now ? Come to understand this word this idea in full:
    sattva सत्त्व - true essence , Being, existence itself. Some call it the quality of purity or goodness ; it renders a person true , honest , wise.

The wise inform us that success is born of sattva, it is not the means. That is, it is by the process of Becoming one is successful in their endeavors, not by their endeavors do they become pure. See the point ?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 September 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hari Om!

"The Hindu Mind" is a beautiful, well articulated book and a great place to start. Please do share your impressions in other areas of the forums if you will. I would be interested in your views. Along that same line, Welcome!

In terms of Mandirs, I've only been to one that ever "asked" for a "donation" of it registered members, but it certainly wasn't mandatory. And it certainly wouldn't have applied (IMHO) to one under the age of 18! If you like, put a little change as an offering in the hundi, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

Are you far enough along in your studies to know towards which sect you feel most comfortable with? My guess would be no, and being so I might suggest browsing the differences between Shaivas, Shaktis and Vaishnavas on this site to get a better feel for things. Perhaps you do already know. This will guide you to the most appropriate and helpful scriptures to study beyond what you're learning now.

Best of luck to you on your chosen path.

Om Namah Sivaya!
    Jai Hanuman!

I'm from Michigan. Well to be able to attend religious classes and such you need to pay. I live in an affluent town and I'm scared it would be obvious that I'm poor :/.
    Classes may definitely help. But I also feel initially it may be a better idea to read online/buy a copy of the Bhagvad Gita, etc. to get a feel for the religion on your own.

In any case...whats with the rich folks in your town? Are they rich enough to afford Hindu lessons/classes?

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Classes may definitely help. But I also feel initially it may be a better idea to read online/buy a copy of the Bhagvad Gita, etc. to get a feel for the religion on your own.

In any case...whats with the rich folks in your town? Are they rich enough to afford Hindu lessons/classes?
    They're rich enough to put on large arangetrams for their daughters. I will be starting Bharatanatyam classes soon because it's a way for me to worship God and it's so beautiful. I really want to get involved in the Hindu community because I'm not surrounded by a lot of positive peers and that's probably my biggest struggle. I want to meet other like minded spiritual young adults.

Thread Information