Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zakir Naik: Inventing a Jagadguru

Zakir Naik: Inventing a Jagadguru

Hello folks,

Now, I'm sure you're all aware of the deviancy and illiteracy of Zakir Naik, but I wish to bring to your attention this despicable display of his in which he hires an imposter to pretend to be a shankaracharya of puri math going by the name 'Jagadguru Shankaracharya Devanand Saraswati '. This 'Shankaracharya' proceeds to give a glowing review of Islam, and saying that critics of Islam are "servants of satan, not of God". See here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzt80IvQigU&NR=1

Please also see here for more information on this horrible performance;

http://hinduismcalls.blogspot.com/20...-series-1.html

He goes on to say that Islam and Hinduism should be considered as one and the same, and that Islam is true, and that the message of both are one and the same. He even says that 'Sanatana should mean in english ISLAM'.

More info about this imposter hired by Naik here;

http://www.freewebs.com/aryabharat/f...karacharya.htm

Any thoughts on this horrid display by a Muslim who seeks to propagate his religion through deception and fraudulent scholarship?

Re: Zakir Naik: Inventing a Jagadguru

Namaste

Sanatana Dharma has been under attack
    from all sides for quite some time.
    This is just another example of it.

Aum Shanti
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Zakir Naik is stupid. Many ex-Muslims have made videos refuting a variety of his talks about miracles in the Quran. A fellow Indian Muslim put a case on him saying that he is aiding terrorism because he wouldnt condemn Osama Bin Laden. He is barred from entering a variety of countries around the world.

Actually, he does a useful job - that of exposing the superficiality of Islam. Thats it.

Namaste,

Zakir Naik is a attention seeker. You can tell by the way he speaks when he starts trying to fire off many different Quranic verses. I notice that a lot of times he only references where to look up certain things instead of reading it in Arabic (something that he has difficult with his tongue). He even has problems within the muslim community not liking him because of his deviancy to certain aspects of Islam. Islam will not bring him happiness. He is trying to feel the void in his life by acting like an important teacher. But why would a Muslim go to Zakir Naik? If i converted back to Islam I certainly would not. He is not an Alim (Scholar). He is just a da'ee (caller and a sucky one at that).

Om Namah Shivaya

@Spiritualseeker,
    Are you a former muslim? Give us your story if you dont mind. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

Zakir Naik is a attention seeker. You can tell by the way he speaks when he starts trying to fire off many different Quranic verses. I notice that a lot of times he only references where to look up certain things instead of reading it in Arabic (something that he has difficult with his tongue). He even has problems within the muslim community not liking him because of his deviancy to certain aspects of Islam. Islam will not bring him happiness. He is trying to feel the void in his life by acting like an important teacher. But why would a Muslim go to Zakir Naik? If i converted back to Islam I certainly would not. He is not an Alim (Scholar). He is just a da'ee (caller and a sucky one at that).

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Yes I am a former muslim. I do not think my story is very interesting as most would probably just see a confused person. But I was raised in a christian family, though christianity was never really formally practiced. It was simply the adoption of Jesus as the Son of God who died for our sins. It was nothing more than that. When I was a teenager around 14 or so I started reading into christianity mainly from the bible and listening to christian lectures. I explored some of other teachings and learned a bit about Islam. I thought that they were demonized out of error. I started to read the Qur'an and started to view Islamic Monotheism in a better light. I thought maybe this was the 'pure monotheism' that mankind was raised upon. I thought worship of Jesus would not really bring to heaven and that God would want me to worship him directly without an intermediary even if it is claimed to be God's incarnate.

I adopted Islam and followed it strongly for about 7 years. I really did all my five daily prayers, learned a bit of arabic to recite Quran and read prayers. I went to the masjid. I got into a bit of fundamentalism when i read deeper into the religion through the Qur'an and the hadith. I looked for authentic ahadeeth (narrations of the prophet) that were accepted by major scholars. What I pieced together is that many of the Jihadis are right in terms of Jihad being obligatory. Jihad is fard ayn (compulsory) if muslim lands have been occupied and under threat. It is fard kifaya (only compulsory upon a certain amount of muslims when there is a ruler over muslims that is not being harmed by invasion). I learned that the Prophet allowed mutilation in retaliation to mutilations. I learned also that the prophet allowed raiding of merchants (basically businessmen and women who were not warriors). Along with many other ahadeeth I was able to realize that Muhammad allowed and justified killing of the disbelievers after the verses of Jihad came down. At first the verses were defensive and then when the muslims got the upper hand it became part of the religion for offensive jihad. This means that if there is a ruler over the muslims and rules by shariah then that nation needs to either be making jihad to make the name of God uppermost or at least preparing.

So I really found that many jihadees in many parts of the world were right in their jihadi fundamentalism.

After much practice of Islam i found that there was still something that needed to be filled. There was still not satisfaction in the practice of trying to live up to God from Islamic precepts and Aqeedah (creed). I would wander off and read books by Thich Nhat Hanh by this point and feel guilty about it. I felt like I was doing something wrong by learning about mindfulness, Buddha, and meditation. I even began practicing mindfulness meditation and doing mindful activities from the works of Thich Nhat Hanh. What eventually happened is that I started to see the flaws and non-right views of Islam. It was not bringing me happiness. The only thing that caused me to be in it for so long is I thought there were scientific miracles that muslims claim is in the Qur'an. This is really not the case, but I could not help the stupidity I had back then. I eventually started to see that Jihad is awful. That religion from Christianity to Islam has been very primitive. I eventually told my wife who had also converted to Islam how i was feeling. I read my fiqh (jurisprudence) books and marriage books that instructed that it was okay to 'lightly' beat your wife. I shared these with my wife and my doubts and we somehow let go of Islam. Then I continue to learn about mindfulness, meditation, Buddhism, and Sanatana Dharma. Here I am now. Not knowing what to call myself or what beliefs I have. I just find that the Dharma is ringing true and it is something we can actually taste instead of waiting for Paradise on the other side.

Not an exciting story, but I am very grateful that I have left Islam. I sometimes think negatively of those times, but my wife tells me everything happens for a reason.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    spiritualseeker writes,

There was still not satisfaction in the practice of trying to live up to God from Islamic precepts and Aqeedah (creed).

You have gone through many ~filters~.

I am impressed with your openness as it emits a level of humility and intelligence. The intelligence to know something is just not right and to move to a higher ground.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Thank you Yajvan for your kind words.

Om

Namaste

I would like to point out that from my perspective there is no authority that can issue religious opinions about Sanatana Dharma
    that are binding upon all Hindus. Therefore even if this man was a "jagadguru" - his opinions (unlike a fatwa issued by Ali Khamenei in Iran)
    would only have weight with his disciples, followers and whoever else wants to honor his teachings. Hindus always have the freedom to accept
    or reject according to their internal convictions. There is a quote from Vasishta Yoga but I am not sure if I remember it exactly:

"If someone says something which comports with reason, you must accept it, even if it is a child. If however
    someone says something which does not comport with reason, you must reject it - even if it is Brahma himself!"

Aum Shanti
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 13 September 2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: formatting
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Not an exciting story, but I am very grateful that I have left Islam. I sometimes think negatively of those times, but my wife tells me everything happens for a reason.
    On contrary its quite an extraordinary story. However, with all due respect to you and your journey through the maze of faiths and doctrines to find meaning and God – your story also reflects the fundamental contradiction and reason why it happens, i.e Man’s search for truth outside, in an external institution, faith or religion.
    The truth or meaning can only be found inside and not in books or teachers or mosques or even temples. Till one realizes this, it’s going to be confusing and difficult road.
    I believe having the courage to stay away from religion and rather accept the vacuum as an atheist and agnostic is many times better, courageous more human solution than knocking on the doors of world religions. Such people are more advanced people than religious persons as they are already able to find happiness within themselves.
    Bottom line, we should only encourage people to find meaning in themselves, free and independently from external institutions – particularly those created in the lowest points of human intellectual achievements, by people who had no credential other than being able to organize masses into frenzy and who were mostly illiterate and uneducated people of their time.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Thread Information