Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible that chanting affects one negatively?

Re: Is it possible that chanting affects one negatively?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

From a past post...

Some say there are 70 million mantra-s; This is called out in the Mālinīvijayottara tantra (1.18). Later the book calls out that Śiva has appointed 35 million mantras for use. Others say each word of the veda is a mantra ( which is true when one understands the word in full) . In any case there are many more mantras available then one individual may make use of.

Now, there is a body of knowledge called mantra-śastra. Within that body there is ṣaḍkarma ( some write ṣaṭkarma) meaning 6 actions or intent (purpose) of mantra-s. Are there others? Yes, but for this post let me offer the following.

Here are the 6
    • śānti - peace. Mantra-s for general well being, and removing one from the cycle of rebirth.
    • vaśīkāran or vaśīkāra - bringing into control; subjugation; We see the word vaśī + kāra : vaśī or holding others in submission to the will + kāra making , doing , working , a maker ; Some may call this vidheya - to make obedient.
      This was called out above . Mantra-s used to captivate another with-or-without their knowing.
    • stambhanam or stambha - fixedness , stiffness , rigidity ,paralysis , stupefaction . This is for creating obstructions.
    • vidveśana vid + veśana - vid to get or procure for + veśana - that act of entering ; one can consider veśī or piercing. This mantra type creates a split ( or difference ~ dissention) between others ( people, groups, etc).
    • ucchatanā ucca + tanā : ucca is high , lofty , elevated , yet also intense , violent + tanā uninterrupted succession ; This mantra type is for creating aversion between others ( people, groups, etc.)
    • marana or mara dying , death. From this word you can see this mantra type is death-causing.
    Some may be using a mantra and not know its influence and this can bring the wrong influence (cause mischief) , even though the intent was well-meant. Others may be using a mantra with no results, it is dead. What do I mean?

Mantra-s need to be enlivened , brought to life and there are multiple 'features' to this which I choose not to lay out. But that said, the value of receiving a mantra from a proper instructor ( teacher, guru, etc.) is of great value; Given by the guru this enlivening process has been accomplished and the mantra is ready for application.

What is needed is the proper application and purascarana (number of repetitions) for siddhi ( sidh = to turn out well i.e. success).
    This is the value of teacher-student ( guru-śiṣya ) relationship, as the guru brings the knowledge of the paramparā (tradition, lineage) to use in the proper mantra application.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Unhappy Re: Is it possible that chanting affects one negatively?

A good day to all...

Thanks Yajvan for the information........its always welcomed. I still cant make sense of it...........how could the chanting of Shri Krishna's name with Rama fall into any of the categories which was listed? The first one maybe for peace, but the part where "removing oneself from the cycle of birth and death" scares me.

About a year ago, a friend's brother was in an accident. He was going to the temple on an auspicious occasion to give offerings. On his way there, a car came speeding and hit him. He catapulted and was in the hospital in a coma for about a week. When we were talking (my friend & I) about him before he died, she said one thing to me which made me confused, but then I just let it go....until I saw this thread. She said that lately he was praying alot and was so into it that he was more than his usual quiet self.

Personally, I don't believe that by chanting God's name will bring harm to anyone.
    We all know that there is darkness and light, good and bad, big and small, but these are all relative.
    But then those types of mantras which Yajvan listed exist. What are they like? Is God called upon in these mantras?

Oh dear!

Namaste

There are a lot of different teachings within Sanatana Dharma.
    As they are not all congruous with one another you will have
    to choose which to put your faith in. That choice will have a
    bearing on the kind of consciousness you develop.

Your friends brother had an auspicious thing upon his mind
    when he was in the accident and put into a coma. His deepened
    spirituality leading up to this was undoubtedly prompted by the
    Self within who knows the measure of each mans life.

There was someone that I was very fond of who lived near the
    ISKCON temple in Los Angeles. He was told in no uncertain
    terms that his end was near. He shared this with his wife and
    decided to take some months off from his business to go to
    India and chant in holy places.

A short time later he was on the freeway traveling to San Diego
    on business with an associate. A large truck suddenly shifted into
    his lane. He had to swerve hard to avoid it and unfortunately his
    vehicle careened out of control and veered off the freeway.
    The paramedics said he was mumbling the same thing over
    and over again until he died. Have faith in the teachings
    of the Bhagavad Gita.

Aum Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by Shivasati View Post
    A good day to all...

Thanks Yajvan for the information........its always welcomed. I still cant make sense of it...........how could the chanting of Shri Krishna's name with Rama fall into any of the categories which was listed? The first one maybe for peace, but the part where "removing oneself from the cycle of birth and death" scares me.

About a year ago, a friend's brother was in an accident. He was going to the temple on an auspicious occasion to give offerings. On his way there, a car came speeding and hit him. He catapulted and was in the hospital in a coma for about a week. When we were talking (my friend & I) about him before he died, she said one thing to me which made me confused, but then I just let it go....until I saw this thread. She said that lately he was praying alot and was so into it that he was more than his usual quiet self.

Personally, I don't believe that by chanting God's name will bring harm to anyone.
    We all know that there is darkness and light, good and bad, big and small, but these are all relative.
    But then those types of mantras which Yajvan listed exist. What are they like? Is God called upon in these mantras?

Oh dear!
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Hi everybody!

First of all, my apologies for not answering to your replies. I really appreciate the information I´ve been offered by you.

The past two weeks I did alot of thinking (not overthinking). To be honest I think those accidents actually needed to happen in order to regroup myself. The weeks before the accidents consisted of mainly partying, drinking alot and really living down to the standards of a healthy life. Not only the weeks before, but actually my whole life was really not good for me. This was my life, just a summary of my standards back then: I never ate vegetables or fruit, only ´delicious´ food that contained alot of fat and sugar and really bad additions. I never drank tea of other natural drinks, only cola and soda. I never really did any sports, had barely any hobbies, I never read any books and most nights I didn´t even make it to 5 hours of sleep. I drank heavily at least once a week and I experimented with drugs alot.
    I just didn´t care. The fact that I only got ill once in 2 years made me think I didn´t need all the healthy stuff.

That was my life untill 2 weeks ago and I lived like that for about ten years. In the past two weeks I realized I wasn´t going to live very long this way. It was as if my consciousness suddenly woke up after being asleep for way too long.

My injuries seem to heal extremely well. The pain I went through is almost gone and I am really really!! looking forward to bettering my life. As a matter of fact, here in front of me lies a piece of paper that contains information about what I should improove, how I could improove it and why I should improove it. In short:
    - no more of that bodydestroying food and drinks, only every once in a while to remind me of how nasty it actually is.
    - Eat food that comes from the earth, that is what a human is supposed to eat. Try to avoid food with alot of additions, try to eat as pure as posible
    - Read something informational everyday
    - Instead of watching TV all day, play guitar and get at least half an hour of exercise every day.
    - Instead of passing school just barely without any efford, try to excell at it. I have it in me.
    - Take at least twenty minutes a day to be conscious about myself. By lack of better words: Use those twenty minutes in order to sort everything out and stay balanced/spiritually healthy

And the list goes on and on and on. I didn't hear these things on TV or read them on the internet, I came up with it by myself.

I'm happy to tell you that these are not just intentions. I have been living up to these new standards for a week now. I always thought I was happy and I was, but I could have never imagined that I could get this 'high on life' as we speak. I enjoy every shower, every walk through the park and every conversation that I have. In fact, this week I got alot of compliments about my behaviour and about just being me from practically strangers at school and teachers for instance.

I honestly think that it MIGHT have something to do with the chanting back then. As if it made me go 'back to the basics' and started to take myself seriously, something I never did before. Yet I don't feel comfortable chanting something I don't commit/devote to. So I am now searching for a new way to help me keep, expand and if the situation asks for it regain this conciousness. Because you see, I think I can never convince myself that there is a God, a Him or anything that comes close to a godlike entity. Yet I am open to it and will never say that it does not exist, I just don't believe it excists eather.

Is there anyone here that has some suggestions on how to improve this conciousness or other tips that can help me out in life generally?

I have to say that I'm possitively surprised by the amount of help and helpfull information you all shared with me. Once again I genuinely thank you for that.

With kind regards,

Mestreech

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Mestreech View Post
    - no more of that bodydestroying food and drinks, only every once in a while to remind me of how nasty it actually is.
    - Eat food that comes from the earth, that is what a human is supposed to eat. Try to avoid food with alot of additions, try to eat as pure as posible
    - Read something informational everyday
    - Instead of watching TV all day, play guitar and get at least half an hour of exercise every day.
    - Instead of passing school just barely without any efford, try to excell at it. I have it in me.
    - Take at least twenty minutes a day to be conscious about myself. By lack of better words: Use those twenty minutes in order to sort everything out and stay balanced/spiritually healthy

And the list goes on and on and on.
    What you described sounds positive - keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mestreech View Post
    I think I can never convince myself that there is a God, a Him or anything that comes close to a godlike entity. Yet I am open to it and will never say that it does not exist, I just don't believe it excists eather.
    Here is a thread that explores the question 'Does God exist?' http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7243

Hari Aum
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Hello to all,

Mestreesch, I am so happy for you. Don't worry about putting a handle to God.............the way I see it, you received a miracle! Sometimes in life we just have to say "thank you" and try our very best to stay on a positive path and keep on going.

Your initial post made for good conversation, and R Gitananda is so right when he/she said "....prompted by the the Self who knows the measure of each man's life".

I hope you stick to your new way of life and that someday you will be able to say that yes, there is a God! And even if not, at least your life's stories will tell..................and I have a feeling there is much more to come.

Thanks to you all. Things have really gotten more clear to me. I found a way to put everything in perspective. Finally I remember what it is all about and what's prior to all the rest.

The idea I had of chanting affecting one negatively is no longer on my mind. Though I will not continue chanting again. One day I might, but for now there is enough to process for my mind and I want to make sure that I don't deal with these things just halfway through.

Haha, it kinda helps that the sun has been shining for over a week now at about 25 degrees celsius every day. Where I live that is very rear in oktober. I notice that a clear air can help to get a clear mind. Though that last thing might be due the fact that I started meditating a few days ago. My life really made a 180 degree turn and whatever is guilty for that, I thank 'it'!

I wish you a very nice day and may 'it' be kind to you all

With kind regards,

Mestreech

Thread Information