I was thinking about how I have never seen of or heard of any movie made in the west adapted from any of the Hindu epics or stories. Any particular reason why not? I would love to see the stories brought to life as long as they weren't exploitations, didn't mangle the stories and did it respectfully.

We have no shortage of movies about the Greek gods and heroes (Clash of the Titans; 300; Jason and the Argonauts; Hercules); Norse and Anglo-Saxon stories (Beowulf; Thor; King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table); not to mention a never-ending supply of biblical epics.

If a Hollywood filmaker decided to make a film adaptation of the Ramayana or the Mahabharata, or portions of a Purana, for example, does anyone think it could be done tastefully and respectfully, and as true to the epic(s) as possible, with the technical assistance of Hindu scholars, of course?

There was an episode of Xena, Warrior Princess called The Way, set in India. Sri Krishna and Sri Hanuman figured prominently. If I remember it correctly part of it involved Sri Krishna giving advice to Xena on her dharma, similar as He did with Arjuna. Xena battled a demon who defeated her, but she was incarnated as Maa Kali, who then defeated the demon. There were mixed feelings and reviews from the Hindu community about it. I wonder how a movie adaptation would be received.