Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: query about devi mahatamyam/durga saptshati

Smile query about devi mahatamyam/durga saptshati

hello everyone

i joined this forum only recently and have been enjoying reading posts on various topics posted on the board .this is my first post here. i wanted to know the right way to read devi mahatamyam during navratras . though i have read the chapters in hindi before but never did the sanskrit version ever before. this time i am more inclined to do the same and i started googling for the same and got hold of few versions in pdf formats . but all of them seem to be different from one another in terms of mantras recited in the beginning and end of mahatamyam/durga saptshati.

i would be very happy if it is explained how to read the same in a proper manner..different writers have come up with different versions i guess , so i am confused.

it would be kind if someone could shed light on it and explain how to follow it.

thanks so much for your help
    livena

Re: query about devi mahatamyam/durga saptshati

You have to learn it from someone or a good audio cd. I am sure there are plenty available. But my own experience is its not that easy to pick up the entire chandi like that without prior experience - may be it is better to concentrate on 1 or 2 great stotras that appear within devi mahatmya like those by brahma or indra - the devi sukta for example. In my opinion it is far more useful to have good, powerful small chanting than struggling for hours on a longer one. Its human weakness to do big and grand things when God is really happy with short but effective. Just 2 cents. Also in my opinion it is also worthwhile to just play the chant and listen with attention (may be reading simultaniously) along the way.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

hi sm78

thanks a lot for considering to reply to my post . your suggestions are valuable and i would definitely like to give them a try first . however i have read durga saptshloki before and it was a very blissful experience.my recent experiences in my meditation got me inclined to do/read something that praises MAA and coincidentally navratras are approaching so i thought of reading devi mahatamyam . as you have written that one should take it one step at a time , i am thinking of reading it few chapters a day (in the sequence suggested like first chapter on first day and 2nd and 3rd chapters on 2nd day ,4th and 5th chapters on 3rd day n so on ) .still i want to know how to start . do i need to just start reading first chapter right away or there are other mantras that need to be chanted before i do it and also when i end it . i really am inclined to do it this time (if only few chapters at a time) .

it would be kind if you or other members could guide me on this .

regards
    livena

Vannakkam livena: I have no idea about your question, but I'd like to welome you to the forums. May your days here be fruitful.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by livena View Post
    .still i want to know how to start . do i need to just start reading first chapter right away or there are other mantras that need to be chanted before i do it and also when i end it . i really am inclined to do it this time (if only few chapters at a time) .
    You start by starting. And only way to progress is by practice. I am not too patient with long chanting, and have never mastered the full chandi. I can do few chapters with ease. It will be much difficult than durga saptashloki btw.

I feel u start with one chapter - even that was not easy for me. Every word is a mantra, so no issues with order etc. Some chapters continue the same episode and should be read in order. Some are independent. Chapter 1 is independent - worships Mahakali, easier and also my favourite. You may start with that.

Traditionally there are some regulations on Chandi Path - I suggest you buy a book if u can read nagari script. There are some stotras and armours one need to reciete before commencing chandi patha which will be included in all the good books. But I don't believe they are most essential particularly for a starter and learner.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

dear sm78

thanks so much for your timely responses . i am trying to follow as you have suggested . many thanks for being patient with me and replying to my queries .

may MAA bless all .

regards
    livena

dear eastern mind

thanks a lot for the warm welcome. i am sure i'll learn a great deal by being around learned members like yourself of this forum. i am already enjoying reading posts on this forum.

best
    livena

Namaste livena,

Here is a website, try if you find what you are looking for.
    http://shaktisadhana.50megs.com/Newh...aTantrism.html
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

dear amihindu

you provided me with the exact information i was looking for . i wanted to read about shakti and its various forms for long and you came up with exact thing (without me even asking for it ?!) how amazing is that ?!. i am truly glad to have posted my request on this board .thank you so much for sharing the link .

best
    livena

Can i only read Devi Khadgamala Stotram during Navaratri ?

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Thread Information