Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what to eat?

So, what to eat?

Just what do you who are vegetarians eat? What is a daily meal plan like?

See, I've only given up fur, hair and four-legged things so far, as of June. I haven't given up fins and feathers yet. Eggs will be really difficult; I justify them by knowing they are not fertile. But that's my own rationalization.

I'm eating way too much starchy carbs... rice and beans; rice; pasta; bread; rice; beans and rice; pasta; bread...

I'm not one for vegetables but could make myself like them, especially a green mixed salad (romaine lettuce, spring greens, red and green bell peppers, olives, beets, etc.) from the salad bar at work. I'm not supposed to overdo tofu because I take thyroid replacement med. (soy interferes with thyroid hormone meds.). I occasionally have a Buddha's Delight from Chinese take out.

So what are my other options besides air? Btw, I need to lose about 30 lbs. The carbs aren't helping, since I'm also carb-intolerant and a carboholic. Once I start on them I can't stop.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: So, what to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post

See, I've only given up fur, hair and four-legged things so far, as of June. I haven't given up fins and feathers yet. Eggs will be really difficult; I justify them by knowing they are not fertile. But that's my own rationalization.

I'm eating way too much starchy carbs... rice and beans; rice; pasta; bread; rice; beans and rice; pasta; bread...

I'm not one for vegetables but could make myself like them, especially a green mixed salad (romaine lettuce, spring greens, red and green bell peppers, olives, beets, etc.) from the salad bar at work. I'm not supposed to overdo tofu because I take thyroid replacement med. (soy interferes with thyroid hormone meds.). I occasionally have a Buddha's Delight from Chinese take out.

So what are my other options besides air? Btw, I need to lose about 30 lbs. The carbs aren't helping, since I'm also carb-intolerant and a carboholic. Once I start on them I can't stop.
    Vannakkam TBTL: In our house its a modified South Indian diet primarily, probably 5 days of 7.

Its actually really easy, once you get used to it. Three things mainly ... a grain, a lentil or bean, and vegetables.

We don't eat white rice, so the grain is a brown rice (Basmati, California short grain, Sri Lankan Red, etc,) millet, or quinoa. The lentil can be dal (several kinds), tofu, or a bean like kidney beans or my fave, garbanzos. The veggies can be any veggie under the sun. Our common ones are broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, chard, onion, carrot, eggplant, okra, and then a few more.

We supplement this basic 3 with yoghurt, seeds and nuts, and tons of Indian spices (mixes called masalas, coriander, cumin , mustard seeds, turmeric, chillies etc)

So, just for example, today for breakfast I had some gluten free cereal, some almonds, a banana, ans some raisins with yoghurt on top. A bowl of munch.

For lunch I cooked a parbroiled rice, and a curry. The curry was onions, chard, a can of tomatoes, garbanzos, with a sambar masala, garlic, turmeric, and coriander. It was just more of a big stew, but my daughter was visiting so I cooked for her too. Tonight will be something similar. Snacks are apples, bananas, oranges and the like. We use olive oil (not much) to cook, and avoid all white grains and salt. After awhile it gets really easy.

If I do outside the Indian food, its Chinese stir fry, occasionally just French Fries, and occasionally gluten free pasta. Mexican food too, once in a while.

Basically the Indian diet is really easy. The variety comes in the vegetables.
    I also really avoid sugar too.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Give up the feathers and scrubs completely if you can and if you want to eat eggs and dairy, always buy organic. This is very important, because non organically held animals have to endure a very miserable life. But even organic animals who are held for milk and eggs will end up in the slaughter house. So, from a Hindu perspective in modern times milk is much worse than eggs (because of the violence against the old milk cows and young male calves). Even old cows from India are shipped to the US for hamburger meat. But then, dairy products play a very important role in Hindu ritualism and culture and the shastras say that if you do not consume milk daily*, yoghurt weekly* or either ghee monthly, you become impure (at least the physical body). (*I am not sure about the exact days for milk/yoghurt.) Organic ghee can be bought at your health food store or ordered from this website. Ghee is much praised in ayurveda and said to be better for consumption than oil which is recommend for massage instead of eating in ayurveda. For optimal health, I would not recommend going completely vegan, but to eat a largely plant based vegetarian diet. There are very few people who can pull of a total vegan diet and remain healthy for decades.

Some general gidelines

*Eat around 25% from your calories from fat. Low fat fad diets that were popular in the 70s/80s are actually very unhealthy. Low fat diets can slow down your hormone production and lead to many health hazards.
    *Avoid unhealthy transfats (hydrogenated oils) and refined carbohydrates.
    *Generally, 1/3 of your fat calories should come from saturated fat, 1/3 from monounsaturated fat and 1/3 from polyunsaturated fat. Poly-unsaturated fats need to be balanced between omega-3 and omega-6. Both are essential fatty acids.
    *Healthy sources of saturated fat include organic dairy products, coconut oil and red palm oil
    *Healthy sources of monounsaturated fats include extra virgin olive oil, avocado and nuts. Macadamia nut oil is well suited for high temperatures, olive oil should always be used unheated.
    *Healthy sources of polyunsaturated oils are nuts/seeds. Omega-3's can be found in flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds and also in algae oil. I recommend taking algae oil around 1-2 grams of EPA/DHA combined per day. Fish and fish oils are often poluted with mercury and don't forget that to produce one liter of fish oil, around 20-100 kg of fish is necessary depending on the species. Fish sources in the ocean are steadily declining, so don't fall in the trap of pescetarianism.
    *Balance your macronutrients, don't go very low or high in either carbs, protein or fat. Balancing carbs/protein will balance insulin/glucagon and adding fat will slow digestion and prevent blood sugar crashes.
    *Good sources of carbs include legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Eat around 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
    *Shoot around 70-120 grams of protein per day (combined from food and if necessary supplements). Any more than that will only benefit the protein supplement industry. (If you are looking for a vegan protein supplement, I recommend Sunwarrior protein powder)
    *Eat a protein rich breakfast which will make you more active and eat your starchy carbs largely at dinner, because that will help with relaxation. It's important that cortisol is higher in the morning and lower before you go to bed. Not eating three hours before bedtime will help to optimise growth hormone.
    *Sleep 7-9 hours a day. Research shows that either too litlle or too much sleep is unhealthy. This type of middle path regarding sleep/ food etc is also the teaching of the Bhagavad Gita. Advanced practioners of yoga will need less sleep, children need more sleep.
    *Train intensely for 4-5 hours per week. Balance every hour of intense training with an hour of "active recovery" which can include yoga, tai chi or light walking. Think of the concept of yin/yang which are the symphatetic and para-symphatic nervous systems in our body. Intense training is best done before dinner, so not to interfere with sleep patterns.

This is true, soy can interfere with thyroid production. Personally, I still like to include some soy in my diet though. There are also many people who warn against soy, because of it's phyto estrogen content. But whether these are harmful is very controversial and there is good evidence that they are actually healthy, because they block the receptors of real estrogen. For thyroid health, selenium and iodine are important minerals. Soy is also a rich source of lecithin which has a lot of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylinositol and some phosphatidylserine, these phospholipids are important for brain health,help to supress cortisol and cleanse the liver.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 26 September 2011 at 02:48 PM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

What to eat ... Consider an āyurvedic look ; this post will assist : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57095&postcount=5

& Cooking: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste EM.

OK, so I have a "concoction" of rice, vegetarian baked beans and seasoned collard greens I did in the rice cooker. I have enough for a couple of meals. I've been using a lot more beans and lentils. Again, with rice in the rice cooker. And I've become the curry-monster. I had the rice, greens and beans for lunch.

I buy Grape-Nuts and other muesli type cereals, add milk and yogurt. In fact I had that this morning. I keep cottage cheese. I eat oatmeal too, as long as I jazz it up with some honey, cinnamon or raisins. I have no objection to peanut butter on whole wheat bread and a glass of milk.

I made vegetable pasta with cannellini beans and broccoli, enough to feed the Indian Airforce. I have a can of vegetarian chili (Hormel makes it, it's tvp) I can mix with rice. I've heard about quinoa but haven't tried it yet.

I keep fruits and get some in the cafeteria. And actually, those vegetables you mentioned are the ones I like. I can eat sauteed spinach until it comes out my ears (I hate raw spinach though).

So it seems I'm just not fully thinking outside the box yet. Maybe this won't be so hard after all. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy; I can't feel good about considering four-legged animals as more worthy of living than birds or fish.

Thanks, as always.

Outstanding. Thanks. Subscribing to this thread so I can refer back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Give up the feathers and scrubs completely if you can and if you want to eat eggs and dairy, always buy organic. This is very important, because non organically held animals have to endure a very miserable life. But even organic animals who are held for milk and eggs will end up in the slaughter house. So, from a Hindu perspective in modern times milk is much worse than eggs (because of the violence against the old milk cows and young male calves). Even old cows from India are shipped to the US for hamburger meat.
    I know, I think about that, and it makes me sad. Calves are taken away from their mothers and crated to be sold as veal. with chickens raised for eggs in factory farms, the males are culled after hatching and dispatched. And the laying hens don't have a good life.

But then, dairy products play a very important role in Hindu ritualism and culture and the shastras say that if you do not consume milk daily*, yoghurt weekly* or either ghee monthly, you become impure (at least the physical body). (*I am not sure about the exact days for milk/yoghurt.) Organic ghee can be bought at your health food store or ordered from this website. Ghee is much praised in ayurveda and said to be better for consumption than oil which is recommend for massage instead of eating in ayurveda. For optimal health, I would not recommend going completely vegan, but to eat a largely plant based vegetarian diet. There are very few people who can pull of a total vegan diet and remain healthy for decades.
    I make my own ghee now (and it's excellent, I might add ), and go through it like crazy, for my diyas, for panchamrit, and for cooking. Actually it doesn't go very far. A pound of butter yields about 1+ cup of ghee. I could not do vegan at all. No way can I give up my dairy. I buy plain cultured yogurt, nothing in it but milk and cultures.

Some general gidelines

*Eat around 25% from your calories from fat. Low fat fad diets that were popular in the 70s/80s are actually very unhealthy. Low fat diets can slow down your hormone production and lead to many health hazards.
    *Avoid unhealthy transfats (hydrogenated oils) and refined carbohydrates.
    *Generally, 1/3 of your fat calories should come from saturated fat, 1/3 from monounsaturated fat and 1/3 from polyunsaturated fat. Poly-unsaturated fats need to be balanced between omega-3 and omega-6. Both are essential fatty acids.
    *Healthy sources of saturated fat include organic dairy products, coconut oil and red palm oil
    *Healthy sources of monounsaturated fats include extra virgin olive oil, avocado and nuts. Macadamia nut oil is well suited for high temperatures, olive oil should always be used unheated.
    *Healthy sources of polyunsaturated oils are nuts/seeds. Omega-3's can be found in flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds and also in algae oil. I recommend taking algae oil around 1-2 grams of EPA/DHA combined per day. Fish and fish oils are often poluted with mercury and don't forget that to produce one liter of fish oil, around 20-100 kg of fish is necessary depending on the species. Fish sources in the ocean are steadily declining, so don't fall in the trap of pescetarianism.
    *Balance your macronutrients, don't go very low or high in either carbs, protein or fat. Balancing carbs/protein will balance insulin/glucagon and adding fat will slow digestion and prevent blood sugar crashes.
    *Good sources of carbs include legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Eat around 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
    *Shoot around 70-120 grams of protein per day (combined from food and if necessary supplements). Any more than that will only benefit the protein supplement industry. (If you are looking for a vegan protein supplement, I recommend Sunwarrior protein powder)
    *Eat a protein rich breakfast which will make you more active and eat your starchy carbs largely at dinner, because that will help with relaxation. It's important that cortisol is higher in the morning and lower before you go to bed. Not eating three hours before bedtime will help to optimise growth hormone.
    *Sleep 7-9 hours a day. Research shows that either too litlle or too much sleep is unhealthy. This type of middle path regarding sleep/ food etc is also the teaching of the Bhagavad Gita. Advanced practioners of yoga will need less sleep, children need more sleep.
    *Train intensely for 4-5 hours per week. Balance every hour of intense training with an hour of "active recovery" which can include yoga, tai chi or light walking. Think of the concept of yin/yang which are the symphatetic and para-symphatic nervous systems in our body.
    All those dietary guildelines are exactly what I followed when I was into powerlifting! And then I let it go down the drain. But I needed to see this again. True, low fat diets are not healthy. Fats help form necessary hormones and aid other body functions. And since I don't sleep well at night, the carbs should help... serotonin release.

And it's so true about the over consumption of protein. Even strength athletes don't need as much protein as the supplement companies would have you believe. I have to get back to training, though I can never max out or lift as I did before... 3 lumbar microdiscectomies, ironically not from weight lifting, but shoveling snow!

I had my first acupuncture session last Friday for some residual nerve and muscle issues. The acupuncturist recommended a very slow intro to yoga, which he acknowledged is hatha yoga. Apparently he knows the different types, and their relationships in Hinduism. He told me no vinyāsa and/or Surya Namaskara. Just some stretching, even a senior yoga class (hearing that hurt! ).

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

What to eat ... Consider an āyurvedic look ; this post will assist : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57095&postcount=5

& Cooking: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356

praām
    Thanks for that. The spices and herbs on that list are some of my favorites. I love fresh basil; cumin; nutmeg, cayenne, black pepper...

I think the problem is that I use those too infrequently, especially on vegetables. Maybe that's why I never cared for vegs... bland. My mother used to cook zucchini squash until a even microbiologist couldn't extract DNA from it. Blech!

Namaste

There is a book by Neal Barnard, M.D. called Reverse Diabetes Now that
    I had to use to get my blood sugar under control. Although you don't have diabetes,
    the several dozen recipes in the book are delicious, easy to make and a great way
    to lose weight (without counting calories). Besides the recipes within it, the book
    shows how you can follow the plan while enjoying things like pastas, tacos, lasagna,
    burgers, fajitas and all kinds of soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps and desserts (all
    vegetarian). Here is a link to some online recipes: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets

Aum Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post

Last edited by R Gitananda; 26 September 2011 at 03:52 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namaste R.

I don't have diabetes, but I am insulin resistant and have Metabolic Syndrome (I'm a total mess). That's one of the reasons I have to cut back on the grain carbs.

I've seen that site before but never really looked into it. I will now. Thanks.

Namaste

If this is going to be an encyclopedia anyways,

Khichadi Variations

Indian Cuisine Basics (Sattvic Ahar)
    (**Posts 1, 7, 8, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22 are recipes/choices, rest is all discussion.
    And, i would skip the red chilli powder and green chillies - not sattvic - even half a tsp is not appealing)

Shri Radhe ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 26 September 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: post #s ; skip red chilli powder
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information