Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, what to eat?

Re: So, what to eat?

Now I'm hungry.

I have to find an Indian store nearby, or one of the larger supermarkets that has an extensive ethnic section. I've had Indian food a couple of times, and liked it a lot. But then, you don't get to 220 lbs by being a picky eater.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste

I hear that the Iyengar Yoga instructors are specially trained to teach Hatha to people
    with injuries or disabilities (they have a minimum 3 years training to become an instructor).
    As I have spinal problems in my neck and lower back I just pick certain asanas out of the book
    Yoga Mind and Body by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre

That, combined with weight training has kept me free of pain (except that which I inflict upon myself).

Also, although you are not willing to give up dairy, you can simply add your dairy to a healthy vegan diet
    that has been optimized for power lifting. The profiles below highlight a couple of approaches:

Avi R. Lehyani
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

Ryan Wilson
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_ryan

Aum Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    ... I could not do vegan at all. No way can I give up my dairy. I buy plain cultured yogurt, nothing in it but milk and cultures.

All those dietary guildelines are exactly what I followed when I was into powerlifting! And then I let it go down the drain. But I needed to see this again. ... And since I don't sleep well at night, the carbs should help... serotonin release.

And it's so true about the over consumption of protein. Even strength athletes don't need as much protein as the supplement companies would have you believe. ... I had my first acupuncture session last Friday for some residual nerve and muscle issues. The acupuncturist recommended a very slow intro to yoga, which he acknowledged is hatha yoga. ...that hurt! ).
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 26 September 2011 at 04:27 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Ah! so you are one of the walking wounded too. I know I'll never be able to lift what I did before... 295 lb squats for sets and a 325 lb p.r.; a 345 lb dead p.r. (we don't talk about my bench ). Once I get my lazy lard butt back into the gym, it will be a lot of "toning" and stretching. Instead of maxing and size, I'd be happy with a more fit and athletic physique. I don't want another round of discectomies (I have one or two more that looked not-so-good) and being out on disability.

I will look into those links and the book. I'm sure I can adopt and adapt useful ideas.

Thanks.

EM was spot on, with masala/curry/saambar powder in right amounts and adding them at right time (of cooking), easily these spices can make the soul of Indian gourmet. I eat all the above food plus a lot lot more yummy food( thank you patniji!).
    OK. To some trivia now, the trend we see on this thread reminds me of something I want to share. Believe it or not, historically even the epics and puraanas clearly identify two MEN as all time best cooks: King Nala and King Bhima. Thus goes the saying: nala bheema paakam!! Move over ladies…

Isn't masala a mixture of spices, which everyone has their own version of? If so, I've come up with some real humdingers over the years of experimentation.

Edit: Google and Wikipedia are our friends. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masala

Namaste

Curry powder seems to be mentioned several times on this thread.
    Just a reminder : curry powder has garlic, for those whom it matters.
    Anything "curry" implies onion-garlic or garlic.

Channa/chhole, garam and chaat masalas will not have these. Channa/Chole masala has a very interesting ingredient - powdered pomegranate seeds - which brings a unique flavor.

Shri Radhe ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

This is what I live upon-

1. Lemon rice and chinese long beans

prepare rice and add 2 tbs cilantro/1tsp salt/and cut/halve 2 large lemons

Then take lemons and cut them away from skins, seeds and bits. Drop them into cooled rice.

We eat this all week.

2. Ricotta & basil stuffed ravioli with spinache ricotta tomato pasta sauce.

I know you say you eat too much pasta, but this is one dish that I would select on desert island to eat the rest of my life.

3. Stuffed Green Peppers-

Rice, basil, tomatoes, chopped bits of pepper, crumbled feta & dried basil cheese(kosher only) to top it off.

I do not eat spicey foods whatsoever as I developed an ulcer as a young woman...so these may sound bland, but you can add your own spice as needed. My Mother always added tobasco sauce to her stuffed peppers...yikes!

I love ricotta, and ravioli and cheese tortellini! Hey, I'm of Italian descent.

My mother used to make stuffed green peppers with bread stuffing, olives and capers. I can use whole wheat.

I haven't had pierogie in years. I like the potato cheese, and the onion sauerkraut. And lots of sour cream.

OK, I get the idea now... lots of veg dishes to make. There's that breaking the paradigm and thinking outside the box again.

Thread Information