Thread: Sanskrit translation site?

Sanskrit translation site?

I want to get a tattoo of sanskrit and i actually already have one..and have been told it's wrong. :/

is there a trustworthy site out there that would translate something for me? i don't mind paying a little money for correct wording.

Thanks!
    "I'm alright, right now."

Re: Sanskrit translation site?

Quote Originally Posted by heather.s View Post
    is there a trustworthy site out there that would translate something for me?
    Not sure what exactly you are looking for. Do you have a Sanskrit word that you want to know how to write correctly, or you want an English word translated into Sanskrit? Several sites for translation come up with google search. If you want to know the correct way to write a word(s), you could look up one or more of these sites for comparison, and copy and paste the best one here; we could verify the correctness. That is, in case you are willing to share the contents of the tatoo. Don't know what else to tell you.

Namaste Heather,

It's unfortunate to hear that your Sanskrit tattoo is incorrect. This is one of the reasons why I always advocate that if you are going to get a tattoo in another language it is imperative that you are either literate in the language or know 100% that it is what you want translated. I'd go so far as to check with several people or linguists (and not just take some person's word for it from a tattoo parlour or a single source) that it was right. I really don't trust online translators at all, so I think Believer has a better suggestion about sharing your translation here with us. You've a better chance of getting an accurate translation here.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

I want to get "let it be" in sanskrit because that's a big part of what being hindu is for me...finally letting go and letting God be in charge of my life instead of trying to control it myself.

and yes, i want to know how to write it correctly so i can bring it to my tattoo artist.

http://members.upnaway.com/~bindu/an...ject/frlex.htm

Click on D for dictionary and L for lexicon, then chose your letter.

Not perfect and might have mistakes as anything in the internet, use it with caution.

Namaste,

I want to get "let it be" in sanskrit because that's a big part of what being hindu is for me...finally letting go and letting God be in charge of my life instead of trying to control it myself.

and yes, i want to know how to write it correctly so i can bring it to my tattoo artist.
    As can be expected, literal translation NEVER works. There is no corresponding expression to 'Let it be".

In this case what you are trying to say will translate to 'Leave it to God' - भगवन पर छोड़ दो, or 'leave everything to God' - भगवन पर सब कुछ छोड़ दो, or 'Take shelter of God' - भगवन की शरण लो, or 'God alone protects everyone' - भगवन ही सब का रखवाला है. Another one is 'God is everyone's underpinning' - इश्वर ही सबका आधार है. 'Underpinning' is a rough translation of the word 'aadhaar', I can't think of any English word which truly captures the meaning of 'aadhaar'. There could be many more equivalent expressions in Hindi/Sanskrit to 'Let it be'. The Devnaagri (Sanskrit/Hindi) characters shown here are Google transliterations. Some of them could be written a little differently. Do you want to further explore any of the expressions listed? I think the last one best captures the essence of your sentiment - leave everything to your aadhaar.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 18 October 2011 at 03:34 PM.

I want to get a tattoo of sanskrit and i actually already have one..and have been told it's wrong. :/

is there a trustworthy site out there that would translate something for me? i don't mind paying a little money for correct wording.

Thanks!
    Namaste heather,

Some would translate om as "so be it". But I don't know that a tattoo of om is appropriate, I'm very non judgemental myself but some may oppose to this idea.

How about a conch shell?

Personally, I think vRtti fits the bill quite well, its more a concept than a word, which is why there are so many different words and situations to which it can be adapted, its very highly placed in the structure of language:

वृत्ति = vRtti = state, conduct, being, respectful treatment, mode of life or conduct.

There is much meaning to this short word. Yet its description is indefinably precise; It is more a mental image than a word, of a state of balance, in which we and our thoughts, are part of the whole.

I hope this helps you heather.

praNAma

mana

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    ...and not just take some person's word for it from a tattoo parlour or a single source) that it was right.
    ^ Truer words have rarely been spoken.

I translated something into Greek for someone (no, not me) to get as a tattoo. It was his name, which actually doesn't translate into Greek, so it was only a transliteration. My name does translate, but I know who I am so I don't need a tattooed name tag. But he insisted.

Anyhoo... I knew my transliteration to be correct, but for a 2nd opinion, I asked a real live honest-to-goodness Greek. My transliteration was correct. The tattoo artist insisted it was wrong and did it his way. Now he has to fix it. For my own tattoo in ancient Greek ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ("Come take them"), I triple checked with my Greek friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    But I don't know that a tattoo of om is appropriate, I'm very non judgemental myself but some may oppose to this idea.
    I've had on my left delt since 1995. Every Indian who has seen it and whom I've conversed with has been delighted. I've read and heard repeatedly that it all depends on where you have it and how you display it. It can be either honorable and respectful, or offensive. I think it would be the height (depth?) of disrespect and offense to have something like that or any religious tattoo below the waist, or on the hands (hands get dirty), for example.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thanks!

Here is the word.

tathAstu - "So let it be" and may be used for - "so be it."

http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.p...e&direction=AU

But it looks long word for tattoo.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste heather,

Some would translate om as "so be it". But I don't know that a tattoo of om is appropriate, I'm very non judgemental myself but some may oppose to this idea.

How about a conch shell?

Personally, I think vRtti fits the bill quite well, its more a concept than a word, which is why there are so many different words and situations to which it can be adapted, its very highly placed in the structure of language:

वृत्ति = vRtti = state, conduct, being, respectful treatment, mode of life or conduct.

There is much meaning to this short word. Yet its description is indefinably precise; It is more a mental image than a word, of a state of balance, in which we and our thoughts, are part of the whole.

I hope this helps you heather.

praNAma

mana
    OM works for me..i've actually wanted that tattooed for years, but never got it cause i wasn't sure of what it really meant and stood for..but now that i have a better idea, i like it. and i need to find a respectful place to put it...i have 12 pretty large tattoos, so that might be a challenge lol

Thread Information