Thread: The Glory of Uma and the Birth of Kartikeya (Ramayana)

The Glory of Uma and the Birth of Kartikeya (Ramayana)

Vannakam,

It's been quite a while, I just started reading teh Ralph T.H. Griffith translation of the Ramayana, and I find it interesting he is writing in the original meter in english.

However, I'm almost done with the Bala Kanda and Griffith chose to omit Cantos XXXVII and XXXVIII which are the Glory of Uma and The Birth of Kartikeya, this is rather irksome for me with my completionist attitude,

I can't find these stories online, so if somebody knows them and would like to share them, by all means do. Griffith's justification was the offensiveness of the content.

Namaste

Re: The Glory of Uma and the Birth of Kartikeya (Ramayana)

My dear friend u should avoid reading Vedic text translated by Indologist, the Ramayan u are reading is translated by an Indologist who had only wanted to degrade our religion and convert us to christianity. The truth is already out thus I recommend u to opt for a better source, u can start with ISKCON and other reputable publishers.

Jai Shri Ram!

Regards,
    Ravi

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    The Birth of Kartikeya
    The day of skandá ( kārttikeya ) is coming upon us the 30th of November. Kārttikeya (skand&#225 is the son of śiva . This day is called skandá ṣaṣṭi (some spell ṣaṣthi or ṣaṣṭhī ).

It is the 6th tithi ( or 6th lunar day) of a pakṣa¹. We note that kṛttikā is the constellation called the Pleiads. This constellation contains 6 stars . Kārttikeya has six heads ( as a symbol), facing 6 directions and protecting ( some say bringing awareness to ) the six vices that come to the human condition that need to be overcome, managed and for some eliminated. This is what skanda excels at overcoming opposition to ones full spiritual potential.

What are the 6 ?
    • kāma - longing, some say excessive desire
    • krodha - anger , wrath , passion ( one of the thirteen daughters of dakṣa )
    • lobha - covetousness or greed; the desire to aquire ( a son of dambha and māyā)
    • moha - delusion; to fall into error ; darkness or delusion of mind
    • mada - this has a few definitions:
      • it is pride and errogance when we spell it as madā ;
      • it is wantonness or lust when we spell it as mada
      • it is any exhilarating or intoxicating drink , spirituous liquor , wine
      • Yet too this word can also mean 'rapture' , and a beautiful object
    • mātsarya - jealousy, envy
    All these 6 are the products of ignorance.

praṇām

words
    • pakṣa - the half of a lunar month ;
      • the first half from new moon growing to full moon was called pūrva or apūryamāṇa , later called śukla or śuddha ;
      • the other half going from full to no moon is apara or apa-kṣīyamāṇa , later came to be known as kṛṣṇa or tāmisra ;
      • These two halfs are called fortnights and are composed of 15 tithi-s or lunar days called prathamā.
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 November 2011 at 06:03 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannakkam: Skanda Shasti here at the temple I go to was back in October near the end. Imprtant time for Murugan bhaktars. A famous Tamil song called Kavacham is sung for alll 6 days throughout tamil Nadu, and anywhere Murugan is worshipped. here is the song.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIPz...eature=related

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Skanda Shasti here at the temple I go to was back in October near the end. Imprtant time for Murugan bhaktars. A famous Tamil song called Kavacham is sung for alll 6 days throughout tamil Nadu, and anywhere Murugan is worshipped.
    For those reading the last two posts ( EM's and my post above) , one may ask how can this be ? How can skandá ṣaṣṭi appear twice, in different months ?
    The answer is in the lunar day or tithi. Each tithi has an owner. The owner of the 6th tithi no matter if its the bright half (śukla) or dark half (kṛṣṇa) of the month, is kārttikeya; some like to call the presiding devatā of that tithi.

...hope that helps.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information