Thread: BBC's secular move-well done

BBC's secular move-well done

Christians Outraged as BBC Drops B.C./A.D. Dating Method

By Al Webb | The Washington Post on 29 Sep 2011

LONDON — British Christians are incensed after the state-funded BBC decided to jettison the terms B.C. and A.D. in favor of B.C.E. and C.E. in historical date references.
    The broadcaster has directed that the traditional B.C. (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini, or Year of the Lord) be replaced by B.C.E. (Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era) in its television and radio broadcasts.
    The BBC said in an official statement that since it is “committed to impartiality, it is appropriate that we use terms that do not offend or alienate non-Christians.”
    It described the terms B.C.E. and C.E. as “a religiously neutral alternative to B.C./A.D.,” although critics quickly pointed out that the new terms, like the old, were anchored around the birth of Jesus Christ.
    The new edict drew immediate accusations that the network was guilty of political correctness run amok as the BBC’s phone lines were jammed with irate listeners and readers.
    Adds Charitra: so therefore all secular people out there must follow this example set by BBC, such of those who fail to emulate risk of being labelled as fanatics and intolerant. Namaste..

Re: BBC's secular move-well done

It is a good move as it begins the process of removing the Western/Xian-centric hold on viewing the world. Sanatana Dharma has no need of Adam/Eve or Jesus which are a mythological concoctions of the Abrahamic mind.

If only our INDIAN politicians who are eager to proclaim the mythicism of Rama/Krishna grew a pair and called out the same for Adam/Eve.

Science and history progams and channels in the US have been using BCE and CE for a few years now. I haven't heard of any outcries from the Christian conservatives because they are too busy focusing on revoking individual freedoms and ramming their "faith-based" laws through state and federal legislatures.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    It is a good move as it begins the process of removing the Western/Xian-centric hold on viewing the world. Sanatana Dharma has no need of Adam/Eve or Jesus which are a mythological concoctions of the Abrahamic mind.

If only our INDIAN politicians who are eager to proclaim the mythicism of Rama/Krishna grew a pair and called out the same for Adam/Eve.
    It seems very difficult for any educated intelligent person in our modern times to believe in Radha or Krsna or Adam and Eve. Now, that doesn't make them non-existent, of course, but the difficulty remains. I myself am a firm believer that God did descend as a Purna avatar at one point in historical time, and this was as Krsna. The historical, metaphysical implications of this aside, I see it as something I cannot deny and live my life consistently.

Regarding Jesus, however, whether you like him or not I think it is a stretch, and another act of politicking, to say he didn't exist. The evidence points out otherwise and it is only a small minority of scholars who think he was a myth. Us not being scholars, I think we should give the benefit to the scholars and see what they have to say.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Namaste,

A good move indeed. More people in academia and elsewhere are using B.C.E. and C.E. which is a definite sign of progress as people move away from Abrahamic domination and influence.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Although they are changing B.C. and A.D. into B.C.E. and C.E. it's still the Christian calendar I feel it's like renaming Bob to Geoff. It's still the same person. I feel like they are being a little dishonest with themselves (of course this is coming from the guy who gets annoyed when fantasy novels mess with historical facts).

Please don't throw stones

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    it's still the Christian calendar
    Not for the Chinese. China is officially atheistic.

The Gregorian calendar actually has its roots in ancient Mesopotamia. The predecessor to the Gregorian calendar is the Julian calendar, still in use for some applications. Pope Gregory refined the Julian calendar to make it a true solar calendar.

While I understand the Abrahamophobia, we can't discount everything the west and Christians contributed.

I mentioned Galileo Galilei in another thread. He was the first modern astronomer; Sir Isaac Newton was Anglican; Carl Sagan was Jewish; Albert Einstein was Jewish, though he wavered in his views on God and religion; medieval Arabs contributed much to medicine. The list does go on.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information