Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sita Sings the Blues

Sita Sings the Blues

Vannakam,

I recently found this and find it a quirky and interesting interpretation of the Ramayana.

It is called Sita Sings the Blues and is somewhat feminist perspective on the Ramayana. It is animated in various ways and has musical interludes and is rather fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTg7YXuy34

That is the entire movie.

I would like to make it clear that I mean no offense in posting this, I personally do not find it as offensive as I could. But I do understand that it could possibly offend some on here, so for those who do find this offensive, my sincerest apologies.

I just find it a great film for those who are interested in study of the Ramayana and is a good introductory work because it does present the story at least mostly accurately.

Re: Sita Sings the Blues

Namasté Eric11235,

Thank you for posting , I found that to be quite delightful!

praNAma

mana

Namaste Eric,

Please see this thread: http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5871

"Sita Sings the Blues" is complete and utter garbage. It is highly denigrating and not an accurate portrayal of the Ramayana at all. It has zero value and is definitely not a good tool for studying the epic.

A great portrayal of the Ramayana is Ramanand Sagar's television series, which can be found here: http://onlineramayana.blogspot.com/

Even the animated film "Ramayana - The Epic" is a much better portrayal. The entire film can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd5GdVHuqY

Also of course, you can actually read the Ramayana.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna
    Also of course, you can actually read the Ramayana.

Jai Sri Ram
    Indeed.

A good place to start reading is:
    www.valmikiramayan.net/

and another great resource is:
    http://valmiki.iitk.ac.in/index.php?id=introduction

Maybe it is too much to ask for the ADHD generation to read an actual epic. In that case, don't watch denigrating versions made by people who have no clue about Hinduism. Watch the Ramananda Sagara version in Hindi (with subtitles), the producer was a scholar of the Ramayana.

Namasté, Ramakrishna, Sahasranama.

Thank you kindly for your helpful links and observations.

I see that we may not be observing from the same perspective here; but then people never do, we are all so very different.

I found this to be an endearing animation. The commentary on jealousy, I find to be very apt.
    Man has throughout the aeons despaired that he may not be the biological father of his children. Especially if his choice of spouse is marred by his vanity. This has lead in some civilisations, to the mutilation and degradation of Women, in many forms.

I will naturally, look towards the origins of this legend. Above all the Sanskrit and after that, all other interpretations. I Thank you kindly for your links.

I am particularly interested by the idea of music played with the intestine!

Such a beautiful tapestry.

Concerning the ADHD generation; I find myself asking what corruption may have caused this evolution, this turn of events.
    Clearly karma at work in the most "revealing" manor, and most certainly not the fault of the children.

praNAma

mana

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    .....don't watch denigrating versions made by people who have no clue about Hinduism. Watch the Ramananda Sagara version in Hindi (with subtitles), the producer was a scholar of the Ramayana.
    +1

If the aim is to entertain yourself with a fictional version of a scriptural epic, go ahead and watch whatever floats your boat. But, if the intent is to learn about Lord Ram's place in the Sanatan Dharma, then a proper version of Ramayana, made with love and devotion, is the only answer.

Pranam.

Vannakam,

As I said, I found this entertaining,

I would like to point out I AM reading the Ramayana of Valmiki (Currently on Canto IX The Plot of the Ayodhya Kanda of the Verse translation by Ralph T.H. Griffith) and of course I am not comparing this as even close to the epic.

I just found this as an entertaining introduction to the most basic aspects of the epic. I did not watch this to learn about the ramayana, I am quite familiar with the epic already, I watched it because I am a cineast and like to enjoy different perspectives.

Excuse my insolence in posting

And my apologies for not looking before posting, thank you for providing the thread and other links.

And for my final point:

This is a film written for the masses, not meant to enlighten but to entertain, I believe that if this film slightly interests someone and makes them look up the ramayana then it is a good film for Sanatana Dharma's spread, perhaps they can also decide to hate it's portrayal of these characters after they've studied enough.

My point was not to say that this is a great study tool, but merely a catalyst for possible future interest in the epic. And for that I sincerely commend it.

I cannot say that it is not offensive as that is simply not true, but I can say that as an american made film, it could be a whole lot worse.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namasté, Ramakrishna, Sahasranama.

Thank you kindly for your helpful links and observations.

I see that we may not be observing from the same perspective here; but then people never do, we are all so very different.

I found this to be an endearing animation. The commentary on jealousy, I find to be very apt.
    Man has throughout the aeons despaired that he may not be the biological father of his children. Especially if his choice of spouse is marred by his vanity. This has lead in some civilisations, to the mutilation and degradation of Women, in many forms.
    When Valmiki asked Narada Muni for the description of someone with these qualities, Narada started singing the glories of Sri Rama. Therefore, there's no question of jealousy. A jealous hero is something that Nina Paley might have borrowed from the Greek epics, but it has nothing to do with the Ramayana.

आत्मवान्को जितक्रोधो द्युतिमान्कोऽनसूयक: ।
    कस्य बिभ्यति देवाश्च जातरोषस्य संयुगे ।।1.1.4।।

आत्मवान् self-restrained, क: who?, जितक्रोध: one who has conquered anger, द्युतिमान् one who is endowed with splendour, अनसूयक: one who is free from envy (envy - depicting one's merits as weak points), क: who?, जातरोषस्य excited to wrath, कस्य to whom, संयुगे in the battle, देवा: च celestial beings, devatas, बिभ्यति are afraid of.

Who is that one who is courageous, conquered anger etc, endowed with splendour and free from envy? Who is that, when excited to wrath, even the devatas are afraid of (let alone foes)?

I am particularly interested by the idea of music played with the intestine!

Such a beautiful tapestry.
    This is the ADHD again, you get easily lured into watching denigrating displays of the Ramayana because someone included fancy graphics and catchy music. Can you not discipline your senses and listen to a beautiful serene recitation of the shlokas of the Ramayana?

Thread Information