Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is practicing martial arts against ahimsa?

Is practicing martial arts against ahimsa?

Namaste.

Soon I will inscribe a karate gym.
    If I practice martial arts,do I go against Ahimsa?

Regards,
    Orlando.

Re: Is practicing martial arts against ahimsa?

Not necessarily, unless you are a Jain (because then even breathing is a form of himsa). It can be himsa if you go there to hurt people, but if it's more a form of "self-development" I wouldn't call it himsa, even though accidents happen easily.

I have practiced some martial arts for a while (kung fu, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, tai chi). I didn't like touching sweaty and sometimes smelly people, so I stopped practicing it. Often the equipment used in dojos aren't very hygienic either.

Also, most martial arts instructor make you do hundreds of stupid exercises like crunches which are bad for your spine.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 02 October 2011 at 08:52 AM.

NO.
    Malla yudham and Kushti make a strong component of hindu version of martial arts, these were never caricatured in any negative way. The hindu soldiers including their kings during their training years had to go through this practice without any exception.As a matter of fact tournaments were conducted with proud participants converging from all over the hindu lands to stake a claim to the trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    NO.
    Malla yudham and Kushti make a strong component of hindu version of martial arts, these were never caricatured in any negative way. The hindu soldiers including their kings during their training years had to go through this practice without any exception.As a matter of fact tournaments were conducted with proud participants converging from all over the hindu lands to stake a claim to the trophies.
    +1 agreed.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste,
    Bahkta Orlando,
    I will defer to those more learned than myself in that I posted a query similiar to this sometime ago. My conclusion with the help of HDF, meditation, prayer, and studies is that the answer depends on your intent and can depend as well on your Dharma. For me, I consider it an obligation.
    Good luck to you.
    Peace.
    FFTW

Namaste

In the Mahabharat we observe that it is the job of Kshatriyas to go out and uphold Dharma in society
    by force and fear of force. However even Brahmanas were often trained to defend themselves, their
    family and their ashram. Since the constable will usually not be readily available the second he is
    needed (and in some situations seconds can mean a lot), I think every sadhaka should learn how
    to defend himself and his loved ones.

If a grave enough situation arises, even those that eschew martial arts will attempt to use their arms
    and legs and/or some object to attempt a defense of themselves or others. However, an untrained
    defender is far more likely to be ineffective or too effective than one which has been trained.

Ineffective defense can lead to the hospital or the morgue for oneself or loved ones. Over-effective
    defense can lead to un-intentional consequences and even land the defender in jail or prison!

A skilled enough martial artist, if he decides to act, has a much greater chance to defend
    himself and/or others confidently and efficiently with the appropriate amount of force - thereby
    minimizing harm to innocents and inflicting the minimum damage necessary upon the assailant.

Counter-intuitively then, a well trained martial artist actually promotes less violence than
    a pacifist - who only encourages greater violence by his immoral stance. Let the sattvic
    people of this world be strong and skilled - that promotes ahinsa!

Hari Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God View Post
    Namaste.

Regards,
    Orlando.
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 02 October 2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: formatting
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God View Post
    Namaste.

Regards,
    Orlando.
    Vannakkam: If its just for exercise and potential self-defense, then I personally see no problem. But like other disciplines, if it is used incorrectly it is himsa. My daughter holds a black belt, and has never had to use it, fortunately. Still it has helped with confidence and other things in life.

Aum Namasivaya

Martial arts is supposed to properly channel your kundalini energy so you can lead with your inner aggressiveness in a constructive way.

Martial arts is ahimsa.

9. Re: Is practicing martial arts against ahimsa?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    My daughter holds a black belt, and has never had to use it, fortunately. Still it has helped with confidence and other things in life.
    It is great for your daughter to hold a black belt, I would like to see her performing, she is a Kshatriya in her way.

JAI MATA DI
    JAI MAA KALRATRI
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Namaste,

This is something I am also interested in. I have been in a situation where I had to defend my wife and I from an intruder. Unfortunately, the end result was fatal for the intruder. Since then I sometimes have thoughts that if I was really good in martial arts, perhaps I would not need a weapon that would be lethal against someone, but at the same time I need to have such a confidence that I can subdue someone while being unarmed. It is very difficult and I do not know what I should do or should not do. Till then I always carry a weapon just in case, but this may well be against ahimsa and my actions before may have violated the law of ahimsa. I think im rambling at this point, let me tend to my morning coffee.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information