Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Peace of Mind ?

What is Peace of Mind ?

Commonly thinking -- A happy, healthy, wealthy life away from all kind of wordly troubles throughout the life, ie: Sickness, poverty etc.. is peace od mind.

But... what actually is peace of mind ?

Views...

_/\_Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Re: What is Peace of Mind ?

Quote Originally Posted by jasdir View Post
    Commonly thinking -- A happy, healthy, wealthy life away from all kind of wordly troubles throughout the life, ie: Sickness, poverty etc.. is peace od mind.

Views...

_/\_Jasdir.
    Peace of mind is ..... PEACE of mind !

Other things may be the requirements for peace of mind to prevail.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Peace of mind is ..... PEACE of mind !

Other things may be the requirements for peace of mind to prevail.

OM
    You mean peace of mind depends on things ? tell me ?

_/\_Jasdir
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Views...

_/\_Jasdir.

Namaste

Sickness, poverty are all physical problems. A person can be reach but he may not be happy. At the same time person can be poor but he may have peace of mind. Money is not solution for all problems in life. Some people have too much of anxiety though they are very rich.

In my opinion peace of mind is feeling spiritual. How I feel it !! Whenever I tried to do any Japamala or Strotram, HAPPY feeling stays with me. You feel peace, it is an experience, if you have emotions and devotion for GOD. Like during Navratri, on the day of Mahashivratri, I feel very good on these days. When you go to temple how do you feel !! that is called peace of mind. But this feeling has to be there for all day long then it is good but as soon as we enter this worldly activities, our peace gets disturbed. Our peace of mind gets disturb when something favourable or unfavourable event happens.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Namast jasdir

Piece of mind might be considered to be ... cittaja.

cittaja = heart born, love, God of love.

praNAma

mana

Peace of mind = absence of worry and/or anxiety about anything. It's a feeling of well-being.

I wish I could come anywhere near this:

"He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and distress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me." - Bhagavad Gita 12.15
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Peace of mind = absence of ...
    From my observations I find it interesting that many look to the absence of something to positively acknowledge a condition or state of existence. I am not saying this is wrong or inconceivable because the upaniṣad-s use the same methodology to suggest what brahman is, by saying what it is not!

Let me offer a few examples:
    • many think peace in the world is the absence of fighting or absence of war.
    • If an individual is not troubled, without fear, then it is thought he is in a peaceful state.
    • Peaceful one day, but the next day, not so much.
    On a very gross level these ideas may hold true but perhaps only fulfills a very small portion of the formula of peace. Peace in the world must start at the individual level and work its way out to the greater society ( my POV molded by my teacher).

So then what can be a ~sufficient~ definition of peace of mind?
    Many would say that peace of mind comes when there is 'no mind' ; no place fluctuations of dis-harmony can reside. Yet have we considered peace of mind + body + spirit + environment + universe? Peace on multiple levels of ourselves , as our universe is an extension of our selves.

It seems a definition of peaceful will need to be comprehensive. Why so? We affect our surroundings and the surroundings affect us. If our peace is disturbed by events ( local, national , family, etc) then it is not sufficient peace, no?

So - how to proceed ?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 06 October 2011 at 12:43 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

You mean peace of mind depends on things ? tell me ?

_/\_Jasdir
    No, then I would have said so. Peace of mind is just that. It is our nature to rest in peace. However, we "believe" that our peace of mind depends on such and such things to be there as a precondition. That is nothing but an illusion because it gives us only a temporary peace of mind. As soon as one condition is fulfilled, another condition start raising its head demanding that it must be satisfied else it would disturb our peace of mind.

We allow our peace of mind to be played in the hands of our desires due to our own foolish conditioning.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Jasdir et.al,

I agree with AmIHindu. To me, peace of mind is when God occupies your mind. I experience great peace of mind while doing puja, meditating, and japa. Also just something like going for a walk in nature, keeping your mind on God and letting the shakti permeate you.

Right before I came on here I listened to a beautiful rendition of Chamakam. Just sitting there with eyes closed for ten minutes, listening and being absorbed by the enchanting sounds...that is peace of mind.

I'm sure it's been posted on HDF somewhere before, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAlKnIXf5eY...Simply divine.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    But this feeling has to be there for all day long then it is good but as soon as we enter this worldly activities, our peace gets disturbed.
    This is true as well. However, we can work on letting that feeling stay with us all the time by literally remembering God and being mindful of God in everything that we do, at least striving to do so to the best of our ability. Many sages, saints, gurus, and even everyday devotees have worked to constantly do japa in their mind, 24/7. Yogaswami and Tulsidas are two famous examples.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

I cant describe it in teory

but i feel grateful in , every sesion of life i feel Baghavati always with me (whatever happened in my life).

i have friends who have rich family etc, but there is many problem in their mind, many of them is Christian, always wrote and say bible quotes and say they are believe in almighty God, but acctually they always ask me many question about their problems and often not in good mood

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Thread Information