Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What is Peace of Mind ?

Re: What is Peace of Mind ?

Pranam Naya hope you are well

Originally Posted by NayaSurya
    So profoundly true.

For the One who does not have the mind as a friend, will find it a formidable enemy.

---

Our ability to shine through this beast, and articulate Bhagavan in the purest sense is deeply rooted to how well we can bring the beast under control.

---

Today, this brain is my friend, a very goodly friend.

Only by the grace of Beloved Bhagavan.

And how is all this brought under control is aptly describe in Katha Upanishad

“The wise man with subtle intelligence shall restrain the speech in his mind, the mind in the intellect, the intellect in the great soul, and the great soul in the Supreme Divine (from where there is no return to this materialistic world).”

Full text
    http://www.vedarahasya.net/katha-3.htm

The unrestrained mind will let the senses taking over with that the ego can reign supreme

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Today, this brain is my friend, a very goodly friend.
    Do you see the brain as different from the mind ? One being ~hardware~ and the other being the software of this machine?

If this is so, software can be re-programmed , no ? In fact software does not even have to run for the hardware to work. Think of just eating. Upon the food entering your mouth you are conscious of it.
    You picked it by smell, taste, touch, etc. Yet once it is swallowed you forget about it and the ~hardware~ takes over. You needn't put any attention on the right amount of gastric juices that need to be dispersed for its digestion to occur; for the muscle movements to move the food along; for the exchange into the blood sugars and the nourishment of each and every cell in your body.

Like that ( from post 61 above) being without the 3 guna-s is like removing the software ( impressions) that guides one every day into behaviors that are not life supporting. These, in poetic terms, are the vāsanā-s ( impressions) that reside within our software.

If we look to patañjali’s yogadarśana the very first pāda (chapter) addresses this human condition.
    The wisdom of patañjali’s knowledge allows us to then view one's hardware and software a bit more analytically to understand how we work e.g. a working model. Once we 'get' the model then our understanding improves.

Well what of this mind ? Do we need one? Yes and no. When facing inward it is our friend , when outward it is a collection agency for more vāsanā-s ( impressions) . So the wise say, we remove a thorn with a thorn. We use the mind to our advantage to extinguish it. Can this happen ? It happens every night in deep sleep - yet you wake up the next day with no concern.

Ramaṅa mahaṛṣi suggests that when one is possessed of the SELF, this mind it like the moon being out in broad daylight. It makes no impression on you as you're filled with the purity of the sun. What then can this moon offer you ?

In ignorance the mind is present and central - and when one is the avadhūta¹ it has been transcended and resides within the field of play, as the real 'you' is anchored in the SELF.

iti śivaṁ

1. avadhūta = a + va + dhū + ta - one who has shaken off worldly obligation. But if we look deeper we see the significance of this word-form:
    • a = a name of viṣṇu or śiva - in both cases we are talking of expansiveness and perfect silence
    • va = a dwelling ; the ocean ; auspiciousness
    • dhū = shake off , remove , liberate one's self from
    • ta = has mutiple meanings - a warrior; a jewel ; virtue
    It is that virtuous (ta) person who has shaken off (dhū) the world of duality and dwells (va) in the ocean (va) of auspiciousness of perfect silence and expansiveness (a).
    Last edited by yajvan; 21 July 2014 at 03:00 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Very true Yajvanji. What good is this moonlight when the Beloved Sun shines above all.

Yes, I used the word brain, because often times I think folks confuse this organic jumble of emotions and garbled desires as a part of this Self.

Which it is certainly not.

See, I was separated from my mind when it was failing. Through out the entire episode I was there alone praying.

Once the B12 was replaced, it took about 2 full weeks before I was finally able to articulate to my family what I went through.

Before this, I was not. The mouth would not function.

Which gave me a distinct understanding that we are not of this body 100%

For the record, I am beyond better. Before this event I had a nearly photographic memory. It is completely restored. I could do huge calculations in my mind without paper in just a few seconds. This also returned. Last year, I could not add 2 + 2.

I know we are to limit illness talk...so I will leave it to the things important to this conversation.

Because I am a householder, this brain is very important to me...I must have it to function as a good parent.

Dreams are an interesting phenomenon to me. For they give us a window into the amazing ability of this machine/brain. What it is truly capable of...is present within those bits and snips of movie like dramas.

Just our brains way of sorting the short term memories and placing them back into the long term storage. But, very powerful just the same.

Yajvanji, I would love to hear your thoughts upon dreams, perhaps in another thread when you would feel like sharing?

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Kṛṣṇa-jī informs us in the 45th śloka (verse) , be without the 3 guna-s ( or nistraiguṇya as it's written ). This instruction alone is the cornerstone ( IMHO) of the bhāgavad gītā.
    What does this have to do with the mind ? The mind resides within the field of the 3 guna-s and is a tool of the 3 guna-s, it is that simple.
    I thought to perhaps add just a bit more on this ( for those that may have interest). I use the support of śrī nisargadatta maharāj and his insight...
    He says, the world and the mind are states of being. The Supreme is not a state. It ( the Supreme) pervades everything, all states, but it is not a state of something else. It is entirely uncaused , independent, complete in itself , beyond space and time, mind and matter.

The 3 guna-s work within the world and the mind - within space and time. If 'you' are beyond the 3 guna-s 'you' are no longer within these confines... the confines of duality, of relative life - big, small, pains, pleasure, birth and death. So the key word here is 'you'. You in this conversation cannot be the body or mind complex because it comes and goes, it fluxuates, it erodes. The 'you' is nothing other then your stainless, natural SELF.

So if one really hears what this says, the natural question must be how then do you recognize it ( Self, Supreme) ? If it is beyond every thing, how then was it even come to be known or ~discovered~ ?
    Enter sanātana dharma.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yajvanji, you must peel away the banana skin to find the fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam Naya hope you are well

And how is all this brought under control is aptly describe in Katha Upanishad

“The wise man with subtle intelligence shall restrain the speech in his mind, the mind in the intellect, the intellect in the great soul, and the great soul in the Supreme Divine (from where there is no return to this materialistic world).”

Full text
    http://www.vedarahasya.net/katha-3.htm

The unrestrained mind will let the senses taking over with that the ego can reign supreme

Jai Shree Krishna

Thank you Ganeshprasadji for this link!

I very much like the quote you posted and would like to read more.

Thread Information