Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: What is Peace of Mind ?

Re: What is Peace of Mind ?

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam
    Is there a possibility without a mind for a conscious being!

Bhagvan Krishna advises to make mind a friend

Jai Shree Krishna
    This is a reasonable question and takes us to chapter 6 of the bhāgavad gītā. Pending who you read one author will say, for him who has conquered the mind the mind is the best of friends. Other authors say, he who ask conquered his self (small 's') by his Self (capital 'S') alone is himself his own friend. We can define each word ( if needed) to come to reasonable place to understand the essence of meaning.

Yet my point of view from the bhāgavad gītā would be to revert back to chapter 2 . Kṛṣṇa-jī informs us in the 45th śloka (verse) , be without the 3 guna-s ( or nistraiguṇya as it's written ). This instruction alone is the cornerstone ( IMHO) of the bhāgavad gītā.
    What does this have to do with the mind ? The mind resides within the field of the 3 guna-s and is a tool of the 3 guna-s, it is that simple.
    Kṛṣṇa-jī continues within the same śloka (verse) and says that being w/o the 3 guna-s one is freed from duality ( the opposites of all of creation), ever firm in purity, independent of possessions , possessed of the Self (ātmavān). If I am out of my mind ( ) then I am out of the field of the 3 guna-s. Established in one's own true nature or ātmavān.

Then starting with the 46th śloka, kṛṣṇa-jī discusses that noble being that has become established in his/her own Self:
    • the veda-s are of no more use
    • one is established in yoga ; balanced in success and failure ( or the dualities of mundane life)
    • one has skill in action i.e. right actions occur w/o effort
    • liberated from birth, a condition of no suffering ( suffering is within the field of the guna-s)
    • with this comes steady intellect; beginning with the 54th śloka (verse), kṛṣṇa-jī outlines that being of steady intellect, absorbed in the Self. I will let the reader take it from here.
    iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 July 2014 at 06:40 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan
    This is a reasonable question and takes us to chapter 6 of the bhāgavad gītā. Pending who you read one author will say, for him who has conquered the mind the mind is the best of friends. Other authors say, he who ask conquered his self (small 's') by his Self (capital 'S') alone is himself his own friend. We can define each word ( if needed) to come to reasonable place to understand the essence of meaning.
    To reason one will have to resort to maan or mind

Maan(mind)= maanan(contemplate) =vichar(think)

Katha UP. describes very nicely the chariot, charioteer, senses mind and intelligence.

Yet my point of view from the bhāgavad gītā would be to revert back to chapter 2 . Kṛṣṇa-jī informs us in the 45th śloka (verse) , be without the 3 guna-s ( or nistraiguṇya as it's written ). This instruction alone is the cornerstone ( IMHO) of the bhāgavad gītā.
    We may find many cornerstone in Bhagvat Gita but I would not argue with your opinion, we all derive different lesson reading the same text.

What does this have to do with the mind ? The mind resides within the field of the 3 guna-s and is a tool of the 3 guna-s, it is that simple.
    Precisely, I wish it was that simple to me as the way you see it, I like to think 3Gunas resides within the field of mind, now why do I say this? I hope we are in agreement that Bhagvan Krishna is nistraiguṇya, beyond the three gunas therefore when he says I creat with my mind---
    ch.10.06

maharsayah sapta purve
    catvaro manavas tatha
    mad-bhava manasa jata
    yesam loka imah prajah

The seven great sages and before them the four other great sages and the Manus [progenitors of mankind] are born out of My mind, and all creatures in these planets descend from them.

Kṛṣṇa-jī continues within the same śloka (verse) and says that being w/o the 3 guna-s one is freed from duality ( the opposites of all of creation), ever firm in purity, independent of possessions , possessed of the Self (ātmavān). If I am out of my mind ( ) then I am out of the field of the 3 guna-s. Established in one's own true nature or ātmavān.

Then starting with the 46th śloka, kṛṣṇa-jī discusses that noble being that has become established in his/her own Self:
    the veda-s are of no more use
    one is established in yoga ; balanced in success and failure ( or the dualities of mundane life)
    one has skill in action i.e. right actions occur w/o effort
    liberated from birth, a condition of no suffering ( suffering is within the field of the guna-s)
    with this comes steady intellect; beginning with the 54th śloka (verse), kṛṣṇa-jī outlines that being of steady intellect, absorbed in the Self. I will let the reader take it from here.
    I fail to see how I deduce from this, to drop the mind, time and again in the Gita ji, krishna Bhagvan asks us to subdue the mind or divert it in the direction of the supreme, Arjun incidentally finds the controlling the mind more difficult then to catch the wind.
    There are options, dropping the mind, mind boggles.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste minders,

Piece of mind is to my mind; the state of calm after having eaten fruit, undisturbed by either past, or future reflections upon the question: "where the next piece of fruit is coming from?".

Arguably, by far the best moment in which to sing.

I don't mind then; because i am listening, or at least trying to.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 20 July 2014 at 10:45 AM.
    8i8

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I fail to see how I deduce from this, to drop the mind, time and again in the Gita ji, krishna Bhagvan asks us to subdue the mind or divert it in the direction of the supreme, Arjun incidentally finds the controlling the mind more difficult then to catch the wind.
    There are options, dropping the mind, mind boggles.

Jai Shree Krishna
    I see your point and respect your views. For me the message is simple of what kṛṣṇa-jī instructs. I will leave it at that.
    Thank you for your post.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I see your point and respect your views. For me the message is simple of what kṛṣṇa-jī instructs. I will leave it at that.
    Thank you for your post.

iti śivaṁ

Pranam

Unilaterally agreed to disagree, I am happy with that.

Thank me for what!!

I am happy for you for your clear understanding

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Pranam

Is there a possibility without a mind for a conscious being!

Bhagvan Krishna advises to make mind a friend

Jai Shree Krishna
    So profoundly true.

For the One who does not have the mind as a friend, will find it a formidable enemy.

A year ago, while I was desperately trying to figure out what was happening to me...I discovered that what you see of the true Self is occluded by this beast when it is out of control.

Thankfully, someone who is self aware of their condition still has hold of the reins.

Now, my situation was ringing and singing mostly. I still had my hands upon the controls. Yet, me, this lil One, inside of this beast was so confused, I could not figure out the cause. Only a doctors diagnosis to discover I was incredibly ill from an inability to absorb B12 and with the resulting remedy was I able to come back.

From this rare window have a learned such compassion for those around me suffering from an organic limitation.

We are given a certain amount of abilities when we were born. For example, I was given 20 marbles, maybe you were given 30 marbles. Some much more, some much less...

Our ability to shine through this beast, and articulate Bhagavan in the purest sense is deeply rooted to how well we can bring the beast under control.

A year ago I learned what it would be like to function in the realm with five marbles.

Most of my days were spent in constant prayer as boiled down to my most simplest form I am a bhakta...nothing more.

But in this limited state I found it most difficult to interact in this world and do much more than prayer.

Today, this brain is my friend, a very goodly friend.

Only by the grace of Beloved Bhagavan.

Take care, Nayasurya. If you have only 5 marbles, then you have to carefully work to replenish them. It is your responsibility. KRshNa says "you are your own friend or your own foe [implied: depending on what you choose to be]"

I know the last thing you need is such redundant advice but well... here it is now

By the way that was an apt example given.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast

I myself prefer no mind. No gathering place for vāsanā-s ( impressions) that tend to condition and limit.
    I do hear you.
    Observation shows involuntary cycles [for this one] --- of no-mind and KRshNa-mind. This is then preferred to any third option.
    Two-in-one-in-ONE-of-TWO-of-ONE-in-TWO-into-ONE-into-TWO....
    Shri Radhe-GovindA, man bhaja le hari kA pyArA nAma hai...

So then the question arises - who then is ~driving~ if there is no mind ?

iti śivaṁ
    http://www.dollsofindia.com/product/...aper-BD22.html
    He HRshikeshA!
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Namaste

I do hear you.
    These are very subtle points and I am happy that it has resonated with you.
    For some the knowledge is seen as challenging... for others it acts as an 'opener' to a new view.
    In every case it is not my knowledge and I take no credit for it. Yet one has to put themselves in a 'open' position to, at a minimum, consider the knowledge as viable, and this is where the mind can revolt.
    Knowing that it ( the mind) can be over thrown , exhausted , reduced and extinguished challenges its existence. It does not like this one bit and will do what it can to keep its existence.

A man should always be in revolt against himself, for the ego, like a crooked mirror narrows down and distorts. It is the worst of all tyrants, it dominates you absolutely
    śrī nisargadatta maharāj

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Pranam

Some off us might have us believe that mind is an independent entity or something separate from this conscious Jiva to discard.

Some off us may lack the marbles (to use Naya's word) to discern the subtlety or perhaps not off the same school to accept what is presented, there is no need to be smug about it.

I am open to change the view with any shastra pramana else it is just jalpa.

Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information