Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What is Peace of Mind ?

Re: What is Peace of Mind ?

Namaste

Peace of Mind is the state or attitude of saying "How does it matter?" in your own case, but not necessarily with indifference towards others. No matter what "others" are giving or doing, that calm uninvolved existence, yet a pointed one, which says -- no matter what, it will be the same -- achala (non-moving, firm).

There are no ups and downs. No tides. No panics. No anxious thought-waves over anything. No AsaktI (attachment, entanglement), ties.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by jasdir View Post
    Commonly thinking -- A happy, healthy, wealthy life away from all kind of wordly troubles throughout the life, ie: Sickness, poverty etc.. is peace od mind.

But... what actually is peace of mind ?

Views...

_/\_Jasdir.
    Dear Jasdir,

Peace of mind is most commonly thought as what you wrote that is "A happy, healthy, wealthy life away from all kind of worldly troubles throughout the life, ie: Sickness, poverty"

But actually what you just enumerated is Desire.

Its desire that makes us seek happiness,wealth,life without troubles of any kind.

Peace on the other hand is something we really cannot define or quantify or qualify.

Peace is an inherent quality in us humans..its just that desire obscures peace.

I was thinking upon this question yesterday and one thing I have noticed.

At the core, humans, very often, want most of all to be free of entropy....and from this basic wish comes a desire for stability.

At the very base, most of what humans are doing is simply trying to keep what they have and prevent things from falling apart.

From stability comes the mundane peace of mind that a normal everyday folks refer to when talking about peace.

But, truly I feel... only Grace of Bhagavan will bring this mundane peace so that then that One can begin to turn inward and seek the wonderful things we are talking about here.

Not to say, random upheavals won't still happen...even in the most blessed life imaginable.

But, at that point.... it as a boat upon a gentle sea....the rising and falling of the ocean...all taken in calm steady ways.

Nothing is easy here, except entropy. What one could take a life time to build, simple seconds to destroy.

The only way to find refuge from this truth is to find the Greater Truth...that nothing was destroyed at all.

Because we can never be destroyed.
    And that to me...is true Peace.

Hari Om! <3

Dear friends ,
    Peace of mind is contentment .A person who does not have contentment always hankers , one after the other thing and as long as that new wish is not satisfied , he suffers with immense misery born out of the dissatisfaction.A person who has even crores is an utter poor person. This rule applies to all mundane things . Thus it turns out that satisfaction with what one has and getting elated with contentment is one who has peace of mind . This attitude is the outcome of spirituality. Spirituality is in way connected with ritualistic religion.

hello and Namaste,
    Some times getting what all one aspires for, also leaves one in a state of purposelessness in life .Thus it is sense of fullfilment and sense of total surrender to personal deity which gives peace of mind
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 July 2014 at 03:02 PM.

hello and namaste,
    Once a student asked Sri Ramana Maharshi:

"I want peace."

Ramana then said: "Remove the 'I', remove the 'want' and what is left is peace"
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 July 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Namaste
    Before we can get an an answer for 'What is peace of mind?' we must understand ' what is mind?'
    Mind is a powerful tool and can do amazing things, it can back in time and go forward in time, it can travel enormous distances which are not possible with physical body.
    Science also recognized the powers of mind and billions of dollars worth research is going on to train mind to fight chronic diseages, so that body is not pumped with lot of chemicals to fight diseage.
    Many scientists believe that the origin for any diseage is not body but evils thoughts in mind.
    Physical body acts as per thoughts which originate in mind.
    Simple ways to have tranquility of mind is following basic principles of Hindu dharma,doing yoga ,moving with the company of good people.
    All these require sincere and honest effort by individuals.
    Sarve jana sukhino bhavanthu! Let All people be Happy!

Vannakkam: I've never experienced peace of mind the way the sages speak of it, but it seems like a pleasant place to go.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I myself prefer no mind. No gathering place for vāsanā-s ( impressions) that tend to condition and limit.

So then the question arises - who then is ~driving~ if there is no mind ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I myself prefer no mind. No gathering place funor vāsanā-s ( impressions) that tend to condition and limit.

So then the question arises - who then is ~driving~ if there is no mind ?

iti śivaṁ
    Is there a possibility without a mind for a conscious being!

Bhagvan Krishna advises to make mind a friend

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information