Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello to all that are interested

Hello to all that are interested

I happened along this forum although I'm not Hindu, I'm Jewish. I have been reading some of your topics and it's interesting to see how you guys view things differently from the typical Western view I'm used to.

My name, Tikkun Olam, is Hebrew and it means "Restoring the world". It is a concept that has existed for about 2000 years in relation to making social and legal justice.

Re: Hello to all that are interested

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkun Olam View Post
    I happened along this forum although I'm not Hindu, I'm Jewish. I have been reading some of your topics and it's interesting to see how you guys view things differently from the typical Western view I'm used to.

My name, Tikkun Olam, is Hebrew and it means "Restoring the world". It is a concept that has existed for about 2000 years in relation to making social and legal justice.
    Namaste Tikkun,

Welcome to Hindu Dharma Forums. Happy to have you here.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Welcome to the forum

Namasté Tikkun Olam,

Its always nice to hear a different point of view, thus to imagine from a different perspective.
    Welcome.

peaNAma

mana

The jews who I met had completely closed mind-set. It would be interesting to see what you have new to offer. Welcome to the forums !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

@Tikkun:

Welcome to HDF.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    The jews who I met had completely closed mind-set.
    Really devoteeji? What were you talking about?

The few Jews that I have met were completely secular and highly scientific. The topic of conversation never swerved to religion. In fact, back in the days when I didnt know much about the details of Hinduism, one Jewish gentleman talked to me about Advaita.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    The jews who I met had completely closed mind-set. It would be interesting to see what you have new to offer. Welcome to the forums !

OM
    Really? Jews to me always seem to be a very open-minded group. Even Jewish law talks about non-Jews and accepts other religions. There's an old concept that Jews have this drive to go after every "-ism" in the world (whether that means science, liberalism, communism... maybe Hinduism?) before they even accept Judaism. It's a weird phenomenon that was talked about in certain Biblical books 2500 years ago, and Jews still talk about today.

"Access to the Vedas is the greatest privilege this century may claim over all previous centuries."
    - Robert Oppenheimer, inventor of the atomic bomb, and a Jew

Namaste devotee and wundermonk.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    @Tikkun:

Welcome to HDF.

The few Jews that I have met were completely secular and highly scientific. The topic of conversation never swerved to religion. In fact, back in the days when I didnt know much about the details of Hinduism, one Jewish gentleman talked to me about Advaita.
    Yes, I have had the same experiences as wundermonk. The Jews I've known, except for one or two here or there who wore their "Jewishness" on their sleeves, have been very nice, polite and secular. They would share of themselves if you asked, but they never pressed it.

Sometimes one encounters an insular group of people, a neighborhood perhaps, where they are of a different mindset than others. I find that to be the case with Greeks. The Greeks who own the diner I go to (now there's a redundancy... a "Greek diner" ) have taken to me like one of their own. Other Greeks, when I was Orthodox, wouldn't give you the time of day at church if you were not Greek.

It takes all kinds, as "they" say.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste WM,

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Actually his mother was Christian and his father was a Jew. Somewhat he started believing the ONLY true religion is Judaism & all other are false. Again, he had a very strong opinion on so-called idol-worship ... for him it was evil ... period ! He believed that it was Judaism that gave the world the first laws from God (received by Moses). Apparently he had no idea about Hindu scriptures which are much much older than scriptures of Judaism.

He also believed that every drop of semen shed was a different soul (he gave it some name, I don't remember) ... so on and so forth. He also believed that the treatment met out to Jesus i.e. Crucifying him was correct as it was as per the laws of Moses. I think you must be aware of Deuteronomy 13 which prescribes unthinkable punishment to people for idol-worship, (supposedly) acting as a false prophet etc. He believed it all to be correct. So, from his point of view, if India is completely destroyed it would as per God's wishes !!

That really left a bad taste in my mouth which surfaces every time I come across a Jew.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

Actually his mother was Christian and his father was a Jew. Somewhat he started believing the ONLY true religion is Judaism & all other are false. Again, he had a very strong opinion on so-called idol-worship ... for him it was evil ... period ! He believed that it was Judaism that gave the world the first laws from God (received by Moses). Apparently he had no idea about Hindu scriptures which are much much older than scriptures of Judaism.

He also believed that every drop of semen shed was a different soul (he gave it some name, I don't remember) ... so on and so forth. He also believed that the treatment met out to Jesus i.e. Crucifying him was correct as it was as per the laws of Moses. I think you must be aware of Deuteronomy 13 which prescribes unthinkable punishment to people for idol-worship, (supposedly) acting as a false prophet etc. He believed it all to be correct. So, from his point of view, if India is completely destroyed it would as per God's wishes !!

That really left a bad taste in my mouth which surfaces every time I come across a Jew.

OM
    Blah, such dry practice. It is too bad that we humans can get caught up in these wrong views. I also had such views, but of course in favor of Islam. These types of paths to me are just not great guides to realizing our selves. But this is all part of the play, they must have some purpose.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information